none
Searching and delegate mailboxes. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've read a little on being able to include search results from delegate mailboxes, and if I have the right gist of things, by default Outlook does not include delegate mailboxes in the indexing results. I've been reviewing this Technet article on group policy settings for Windows Search, but I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding the intent of some settings.

Basically, I've set the "Enable indexing of online delegate mailboxes" to enabled which alleviates the problem where in the Indexing Options from the control panel, the delegate mailbox is greyed out and listed as unavailable for indexing. Unfortunately, even though with this policy enabled it now shows up as available for indexing, it appears that nothing is actually happening - either that or the Outlook 2007 UI is simply not even attempting to search the delegate mailbox just because it is a delegate mailbox (meaning the indexing service is, but Outlook ignores that part).

Is it possible to include delegate mailboxes in the Instant Search results, or not?

Cheers,
    Lain

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:28 AM

Answers

• Hi Liam,

Currently there is no way to search both the Primary and the Secondary mailboxes or all folders in the Secondary mailbox at once from within Outlook 2007 Instant Search.

This can be done, via Windows Explorer if you have all the settings correct.

As you stated earlier, if you have Outlook 2010 and you add the Secondary mailbox as an Exchange account then you can search both mailboxes if you click on All Outlook Items in the Search Tools menu.

Regards, Teresa Microsoft Online Community Support Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Lain Robertson Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:02 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 10:43 PM

All replies

• Interestingly, this allows results to be found from the Windows Search bar in the Windows 7 Start Menu, but not from within Outlook 2007 itself. That isn't a solution though, from our user's perspective.

Cheers,
    Lain

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Yet another update, from looking at the problem a different way.

This article explains how the content of the delegate mailboxes can be integrated into the OST of your main mailbox (you might also want to read this article to get clarity on registry value types and so forth). In theory it sounds like the solution, but it's not. What this article ends up enabling is the ability to perform instant searches while you're highlighting a particular folder, but what it does not offer is integration into the "Try searching again in All Mail Items", which is what the users are expecting.

I'm starting to think there is no solution for Outlook 2007 and that if this problem proves to be enough of a headache for the business that we may need to look at moving to Office 2010 (I doubt we'd just cherry-pick Outlook 2010 on its own) to resolve the issue (through being able to set up more than one Exchange mailbox per user Outlook profile). Given the business' disposition towards avoiding being bleeding edge, this isn't going to be an easy sell though.

Anyway, I'll keep researching for now in the absence of a better option.

Cheers,
    Lain

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:23 AM
  • Hi Liam,

Currently there is no way to search both the Primary and the Secondary mailboxes or all folders in the Secondary mailbox at once from within Outlook 2007 Instant Search.

This can be done, via Windows Explorer if you have all the settings correct.

As you stated earlier, if you have Outlook 2010 and you add the Secondary mailbox as an Exchange account then you can search both mailboxes if you click on All Outlook Items in the Search Tools menu.

Regards, Teresa Microsoft Online Community Support Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Lain Robertson Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:02 AM
    Monday, November 29, 2010 10:43 PM
  • Okay, thanks for confirming that, Teresa - appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Lain

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 5:02 AM
  • Hi Teresa, 

Is there any other settings you need to enable for the "All Outlook Items" to work?

I have 2010 and the "All Outlook Items" only searches my own calendar - not anyone elses....

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:11 PM