none
Email Notifications and Alerts problem

Question

• Hi  -

I'm having an issue with Email Notifications and Alert notifications using SharePoint 2007.  In a list, we are using the "Assigned To" and entering the name of one person.  The email notification that should send to that one person is getting sent to 2 or more random people plus the person as the value in the Assigned To.   As an example below, the alert should have been sent to me but never the other person listed.

Assigned To:

Kerrie Thomas; Ercan Uzel Kerrie Thomas

We just started experiencing this problem.  It is occurring with the email notifications using the Task template and within Alerts.  This is occurring on not only a list using the Task template but also using a Custom List template.  The notifications are going out to random individuals as well as the Assigned To.  Then a 'update' notification is going out showing that the values were changed on the list but they were not.  We have versioning turned on and the version history does not show these random people as ever being associated to the list. 

The lists do not have workflows associated and I haven't tested what happens with those.  I'm assuming they would also have the problem though since it generates the Outlook message.

Any help would be extremely helpful at this point.
    Note:  We use MOSS 2007.  Some of our users are Outlook 2003 and some are Outlook 2007.  It does not matter if the user is on either version of Outlook as it is occurring on both.  Within the last couple of weeks our Exchange Server was upgraded to 2007. 

This issue was also raised in this forum at:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointworkflow/thread/42176a9d-5a4e-429e-bd68-901439b9ea46 .  It's in the workflow section, but my issue is NOT workflow related.

Help please!

K. Thomas

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 4:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm having an issue with Email Notifications using SharePoint 2007.  We are using the Issue Tracking List to do just that, track issues.  Using the "Assigned To" feature, we put the name of one person.  When we are completed and click OK, the email notification that should send to that oner person will get sent to anywhere between 3-6 other random people, then gets edited behind the scenes and sends to the right person.

Below is a visual of one of my issues.  Other than myself, this should have not been sent to those three other people.  It's been automatically doing this for some time now and we are unable to figure out what's causing it and how to fix it.

Assigned To:

Peck, Samantha; Cardona, David; Spahn, Bryon; Engelke, Maryann Cardona, David

Edited

Is there anyone that can help me with this..?  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:23 PM wf q (?() (Moved from SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation to SharePoint - Workflow)
    • Merged by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, July 08, 2009 4:48 PM OP said these were the same question
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:40 PM
  • This presumably uses workflow to send the e-mail.

Moving to the workflow forum.

Scream if it doesn't use workflow and I'll move it back (if I see the scream)

WSS FAQ sites: WSS 2.0: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007: http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language titles) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:22 PM
  • This is by design.  The Assigned to is not checking to see whether the person you selected has contribute perms in order to be sent an email...technically if the person doesn't have rights to the list, then why should they get an email...Problem is the assigned to field let's you select any security principle.  I worked around this by writing an event receiver to add the user/group with min perms when a new issue is added.
    • Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Friday, March 27, 2009 8:18 AM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:22 PM
  • Any one has a clue on this? I am experiencing the same issue.

wrecklesswun, 

I can't see the connection with the issue and your solution, can you please explain.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Andy and All,

We are experiencing the same problem and I have tracked it down to "Crossover" from another task list, which we will call List A. 

It seems that either by the UID or otherwise the new tasks on List A are picking up the assignments of the Issue Tracking List (which is much older and has 100s of entries) and notifying that assignee of the reassignment, but does not actually reassign in the Issue Tracking List.

Except for one thing this would be a minor annoyance.  What makes it a Major problem here is that the new list is for Executive Tasks and is supposed to be confidential.  So far the crossover has only gone to IT personel, but I have limited access to task lists because I am worried about more crossover....

I agree with Andy that either I do not understand Wrecklesswun's explanation, or it does not describe and propose a repair for the issue at hand.

Any further help would be much appreciated.
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

It seems I am not the only one having this issue. Did someone already come up with an answer?   The workaround I am using for now (not sufficient of course, but better than nothing) is to set the Assignee field to only allow 1 useraccount.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

With kind regards,

Remco.G
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:35 PM
  • Hi  -
    We are also experiencing this problem.  It is occurring with the email notifications using the Task template and within Alerts.  This is occurring on not only a list using the Task template but also using a Custom List template.  The notifications are going out to random individuals as well as the Assigned To.  Then a 'update' notification is going out showing that the values were changed on the list but they were not.  We have versioning turned on and the version history does not show these random people as ever being associated to the list. 

The lists do not have workflows associated and I haven't tested what happens with those.  I'm assuming they would also have the problem though since it generates the Outlook message.

Any help would be extremely helpful at this point.
    Note:  We use MOSS 2007.  Some of our users are Outlook 2003 and some are Outlook 2007.  It does not matter if the user is on either version of Outlook as it is occurring on both.  Within the last couple of weeks our Exchange Server was upgraded to 2007. 

Help please!

K. Thomas

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 3:58 PM
  • This is a know issue.

Resolutions:

1. Make sure your farm is updated till Feb CU

2. -->Evaluate the settings in the "assigned to column"
    -->There will be setting set to "Allow Multiple Selections: YES"
    -->Change it to NO and test.
    Visit: http://yagyashree.wordpress.com MCP & MCTS [WSS 3.0/MOSS]
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 4:52 PM
  • Actually, this is a known issue and it was fixed in KB948945 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948945) and KB948947 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948947).

“On a SharePoint Server 2007 site, you modify a task in a task list. When you do this, users other than the users who are assigned to the task receive the notification e-mail message for the change.”

Please apply both KB948945 and KB948947 to resolve the issue.

As we have SP2 released, it is suggested to apply SP2 which include all previous update.

See Updates Resource Center for SharePoint Products and Technologies (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sharepointserver/bb735839.aspx) for latest update.

-lambert

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin | Microsoft TechNet Managed Forum Support
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 9:06 AM
  • I was able to get this to work by going to the task list settings, clicking on the advanced settings and then clicking the radio button that says "send email when ownership assigned?"

I was having the same issue and now it works.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 4:15 PM