none
SharePoint 2013 on premise - known issues with any recent CU?

Question

• Hello fellow SharePoint community!

Anyone installed any recent Cumulative updates in your on-premise SharePoint 2013 farm?

We've a need to install at least July 2016 CU for a 3rd party tool (K2). While I was doing some research, I noticed there are few reported issues with July  (top navigation issue, resolved with Oct CU KB3118355) and August  (MMS issue - comment from Jake J.) 2016 CUs. I really don't want to go the very latest CU...knowing how badly some of the updates can mess up the functionalities. We do run some 3rd party tools and custom solutions on top of SharePoint - so it's not always possible to test every scenarios. 

Appreciate anyone sharing your experience with any patches from July - Nov 2016 CUs!

UPDATE: 1. Seeing Alex reported an issue (with Search Results page) with Nov 2016 CU.  

2. AnisBO reported an issue with Oct CU when you have Hybrid Search configured. 

Many thanks in advanced!

BlueSky2010
    Please help and appreciate others by using forum features: "Propose As Answer", "Vote As Helpful" and "Mark As Answer"

• Edited by BlueSky2010 Tuesday, January 3, 2017 2:19 PM added KB3118355 ref.
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 6:42 PM

All replies

• I think those two issues you linked to were just customer-specific issues (e.g. not installing correctly, or whatever). The SharePoint 2013 CUs, *for the most part*, are simply a bundle of the current month's security fixes and then of course all past bug fixes. Needless to say, they're pretty safe.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:43 PM
  • Hey Trevor,

Thanks for your quick response! Couple patches already confirmed either by Microsoft support or Stefan Gobner. For example - 

July top navigation issue confirmed by Microsoft support as per this TechNet thread (user Kw1rk) which is fixed by Oct CU. 

Stefan confirmed Oct CU (link above) brought a new issue with Hybrid Search which is scheduled to be fixed with Jan 2017 CU. 

Thanks!

BlueSky2010
    Please help and appreciate others by using forum features: "Propose As Answer", "Vote As Helpful" and "Mark As Answer"

Thursday, December 22, 2016 8:44 PM
  • Are you using Hybrid Search? If not, no issues.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 8:50 PM
  • Unfortunately yes. :-(. we're in the process of rolling out Cloud Hybrid Search in Prod. Have it configured already in QA.

BlueSky2010

Thursday, December 22, 2016 8:58 PM
  • For what it's worth, I have a CSSA working just fine with the Nov 2016 CU. However I'm not performing people crawls as that can cause issues in SPO with duplication.

Trevor Seward

Thursday, December 22, 2016 8:59 PM
  • Good to know that Trevor. I'd love to go to Nov update for the Hybrid Taxonomy. 

So you aren't seeing edit menu issue as reported by Alex-Kren?

BlueSky2010

Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:07 PM
  • No, I haven't seen that. Given it is the only reference, it is going to be customer specific.

Trevor Seward

Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:08 PM
  • Good to know - thanks Trevor!

BlueSky2010

Thursday, December 22, 2016 9:20 PM