none
Shared Themes applied by GPO doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• I just set a GPO

for the Shared Themes Path for the entire Office 2007 and 2010 suite using the Group Policy: User Policy --> Administrative Templates --> Microsoft Office 2007 System --> Shared paths --> Shared themes path. And the same for Office 2010.

I can see that the settings are applied if I check each Office application. Also, the registry shows these settings as well.
    But the themes aren't visible when I try applying them using the Design tab. Why is this?

Now, what I just discovered was that somehow, the Document Themes folder is created in the Workgroup folder. Strangely enough, if I copy the theme there, it shows up in all of the applications! Why? I haven't even set that particular location at all. And yes, I'm really sure.
    Also, the folder that is automatically created in the Workgroup folder is called "Document Themes", while the path I specified via the GPO is "Themes".

Strange?

Also, I noticed that it's actually the Office application themselves that actually create these folders as soon as I open or close on of the Office applications. But not only  in the Workgroup folder but also the User folder. Really strange.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:54 AM

Answers

• First off, this is not a bug; many other things, perhaps, but not a bug.

Once upon a time there were Themes, and then they introduced (new) Themes.

The old Themes are, largely, an irrelevance now but they still exist (and can still be used); they are in Themes folders and Workgroup (shared) Themes folders. These are what the Policy sets - it should, really, have been removed from the (often inadequate) Admin Templates - perhaps it was kept for compatibility reasons, who can say?

The new Themes are in Document Themes folders inside the Templates folders and, as far as I know, can not be anywhere else. You can set the Templates and Workgroup Templates folders via Group Policy, and the (new) Themes go with them.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:06 PM

All replies

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

This problem very strange, Make sure the shared path is valid

Please check following registry key Value Data

HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\General\WorkgroupThemes

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely

William Zhou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Yes this is the exact same path. Here's a screenshot of the registry settings:
    http://imageshack.us/f/402/gpo.png/

Notice the Workgroup and User paths? They do work just fine. As they always have. I just have never used the WorkgroupThemes key before.

It's like the key isn't even used at all. Especially since both the User folder and Workgroup folder each get's a folder called "Document Themes" created, by Word itself. Even though that's not the name of the folder I specified in the GPO, as you can see in the screenshot above.

The folders appear as this:
    C:\Templates\User\Document Themes
    C:\Templates\Workgroup\Document Themes

And if I move the content from the original C:\Templates\Themes into either of the folder above, they do work!

Btw, this is the same for both Office 2007 and 2010. Just tried it on several computers, both versions. Also, I googled this and it seems as though other people also have problems with this, and with no solution found.

Edit: Here are some similar questions:
    http://www.wiredbox.net/forum/Thread349435_Office_2007_WorkgroupThemes_Policy.aspx - This one's from 2007!

Edit2: I just need this to work so I'll probably just use the Document Themes folder from the Workgroup Folder I guess. But it's not that pretty. Also, I do expect Microsoft to do some research on this. Strangely enough, this is the second bug I've found that nobody appears to have seen before. The other one was a bug in the embedding of fonts. And nobody at Microsoft apparently knew about this, years and years after the software was released. Just like this time. Seems as though nobody in the world uses Document Themes. Which is not a good sign..

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:00 AM
  • First off, this is not a bug; many other things, perhaps, but not a bug.

Once upon a time there were Themes, and then they introduced (new) Themes.

The old Themes are, largely, an irrelevance now but they still exist (and can still be used); they are in Themes folders and Workgroup (shared) Themes folders. These are what the Policy sets - it should, really, have been removed from the (often inadequate) Admin Templates - perhaps it was kept for compatibility reasons, who can say?

The new Themes are in Document Themes folders inside the Templates folders and, as far as I know, can not be anywhere else. You can set the Templates and Workgroup Templates folders via Group Policy, and the (new) Themes go with them.

Enjoy,
    Tony
    www.WordArticles.com
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:06 PM
  • Aha, that explains it then! Ok, so now I know :) Thanx!
    Monday, July 25, 2011 8:04 AM