none
Start this workflow to approve publishing a major version of an item is disabled in SharePoint Online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Despite turning on the require content approval for submitted items in the version setting.  Start this workflow to approve publishing a major version of an item is still disabled in the workflow settings.

Anyone one know how to enable this option.

Thanks

Regards,

Ravi

Friday, August 29, 2014 12:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Ravi,

Let verify the following:

when you set the approver variable to a value, you missed a column name which is used in a list.

To solve this issue, I suggest that you should limit the Globally Reusable Workflow to special content type which contains a column with people or group type.

So you should create a site column with people or group type, and create a content type inherited from the content type you used(when you create an Item, you use an content type, you can add an content type column to view to  show what kind of content type you have used), then add the site column into the new content type. Finally, add the content type into the list. For this time, you should use the new content type to create an item. After that, when you create a new copy of the Publishing Approval Workflow, choose the new content type. Then you can use the column as the approver value.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 4, 2014 12:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Ricky, did you include both major and minor in your versioning settings? You must have both for this to work.

cameron rautmann

Friday, August 29, 2014 2:31 PM
  • Yes I did, Cameron.
    Friday, August 29, 2014 2:33 PM
  • Hi Ravi,

According to your description, my understanding is that the “Start this workflow to approve publishing a major version” was disabled when creating the workflow associated with the document library.

Whether this issue occurs if you use the SharePoint built-in Approval-SharePoint 2010 template to create a workflow.

For troubleshooting, I recommend you create a new copy of the Publishing Approval Workflow via SharePoint Designer 2013(Globally Reusable Workflow->Approval-SharePoint 2010 ->Copy and Modify->Publish) to see if the issue still occurs.

To narrow the issue scope, please also test with another document library and compare the results.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Wendy Li

Monday, September 1, 2014 9:03 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

I tried to copy and modify the Globally Reusable Workflow->Approval-SharePoint 2010 but the problem that I am facing is, I cant seems to find the Assign a task in the Actions list and also when I am setting the approver variable to a value, I am missing a column name( how can I get a column which is used in a list?).

But “Start this workflow to approve publishing a major version” is enabled now using this workflow but saying that I am unable to complete the workflow due to the action and column missing. 

Previously the work flow that I created was for a specific list.

Is there any work around to this issue?

Thanks

Regards,

Ravi

Monday, September 1, 2014 2:35 PM
  • Hi Ravi,

According to your description, my understanding is that you can’t find the Assign a task in the Actions list and you can’t set a list column as the approver value.

1. “Start Approval Process” in the Actions list in SharePoint 2010 platform has the similar function with “Assign a task” in the Actions list in SharePoint 2013 platform.
    2. Because the Globally Reusable Workflow is limited to content type. You can create a site column with people or group type, and create a content type inherited from the content type you used, then add the site column into the new content type. Finally, add the content type into the list. After that, when you create a new copy of the Publishing Approval Workflow, choose the new content type. Then you can use the list column as the approver value.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Wendy Li

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 11:08 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

I dint use any content type for any of my list while creating the Approval work flow before. So, do i need to have a content type for my lists before i could try your example?

Regards,

Ravi

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 10:49 AM
  • Hi Ravi,

Let verify the following:

when you set the approver variable to a value, you missed a column name which is used in a list.

To solve this issue, I suggest that you should limit the Globally Reusable Workflow to special content type which contains a column with people or group type.

So you should create a site column with people or group type, and create a content type inherited from the content type you used(when you create an Item, you use an content type, you can add an content type column to view to  show what kind of content type you have used), then add the site column into the new content type. Finally, add the content type into the list. For this time, you should use the new content type to create an item. After that, when you create a new copy of the Publishing Approval Workflow, choose the new content type. Then you can use the column as the approver value.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Wendy Li

Thursday, September 4, 2014 12:36 PM