none
MMC cannot initialize the snap-in Event Viewer {b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}

Question

• I have a win 2008 SP2 server which is a domain controller

When I try and start the event viewer I get an error message.

When I try to load via mmc i get:

---------------------------
    Microsoft Management Console
    MMC cannot initialize the snap-in Name: Event Viewer {b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}

any ideas?

R

Thursday, December 02, 2010 11:12 AM

Answers

• This is the one I will mark as an answer for anyone else who has the same problem:

The original problem was resolved by uninstalling both .net framework 4 and .net framework 3.5 sp1 (and all the updates)

After rebooting a clean install of .net framework 3.5 sp1 caused no problems.

If you have high dependency on the .net frameworks for any apps you have installed the above solution may not work well for you, and you may need to edit various .net config files

Suggestion:
    Do not install any more .net frameworks than you actually need.

Roga

• Marked as answer by rogajones Friday, December 03, 2010 9:36 AM
    Friday, December 03, 2010 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hello,

please see the following article about:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2009/02/16/easily-resolving-an-event-viewer-error-using-a-process-memory-dump.aspx

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Thursday, December 02, 2010 1:53 PM
  • http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ntdebugging/archive/2009/02/16/easily-resolving-an-event-viewer-error-using-a-process-memory-dump.aspx

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer

Unusual use of the phrase "easily-resolving"

any ideas of how to reset the .net configs without all the above complexity?

R

Thursday, December 02, 2010 2:06 PM
  • Most likely the problem was with a .net config file, however I do not appear to have a machine.config file on this machine.

From windows updates I removed all .net updates

from appwiz.cpl (add remove programs) I removed .NET Framework 4 Extended & tested (no change) then removed .net Framework 3.5 SP1 & tested. Now mmc works OK (it wasn't only event viewer that was affected, i couldn't run server manager either)

I now need to go and unmark all the .net stuff in my WSUS to ensure that it does not get autoinstalled.

Just as well this DC wasn't at this stage doing anything crucial on the network.

Now I guess I will find out if removing the .nets has broken anything....

roga

Thursday, December 02, 2010 2:43 PM
  • This is the one I will mark as an answer for anyone else who has the same problem:

The original problem was resolved by uninstalling both .net framework 4 and .net framework 3.5 sp1 (and all the updates)

After rebooting a clean install of .net framework 3.5 sp1 caused no problems.

If you have high dependency on the .net frameworks for any apps you have installed the above solution may not work well for you, and you may need to edit various .net config files

Suggestion:
    Do not install any more .net frameworks than you actually need.

Roga

• Marked as answer by rogajones Friday, December 03, 2010 9:36 AM
    Friday, December 03, 2010 9:36 AM

This method is unreliable. I uninstalled all. NET Framework with the exception of the currently used by the OS. This solution has resulted me in trouble with the updates (Windows UpDate). I lost a lot of time. Eventually "Restore point" let me state before reaching use "Your" method.
    Sunday, June 30, 2013 12:22 PM
  • This method is unreliable.
    Sunday, June 30, 2013 12:54 PM
  • I have a win 2008 SP2 server which is a domain controller

When I try and start the event viewer I get an error message.

When I try to load via mmc i get:

Microsoft Management Console
    MMC cannot initialize the snap-in Name: Event Viewer {b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}

any ideas?

R

I have provided this answer also here in the hope it will be found by anyone seeking for a solution of similar .NET issues.

I am providing this as supplementary information here hoping that it might help somebody else to sort out similar issues. The steps provided above will not always help. I had MMC snap-ins for Task Scheduler and Event Viewer crashing with various FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510} like errors. Many people around the just gave up and re-installed their machines. But I couldn't believe this to be the only solution. So I tried all the hints I could find and traced snap-in execution with different tools. Here's a summary of potential solutions and things you should check.

Some hints say to re-install Microsoft .NET framework 2/3/3.5 but on Windows Vista and 7 this does not work as the .NET framework is enclosed in Windows installation. So it's not removable. On Windows 7 you can only uninstall the .NET framework 3.5 by unchecking the checkbox in control panel / uninstall / add windows features section. Though for me it made no difference whether "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1" feature was enabled or disabled on my system. EventViewer was still crashing. There seems to be no way provided by Microsoft to verify/re-install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 on Windows 7 as it's integrated part of Windows 7. Also 'sfc /scannow' seems not to detect broken .NET files or settings. So all the hints around the net stating to re-install .NET are quite useless in this case as all offline Installers provided by Microsoft refuse to do any change on a Windows 7 environment. Cleaning the files and re-installing them is therefore also not an option.
    1. Run "sfc /scannow". This might not solve the issue very likely but you should start with a consistent systems. In fact sfc might also bring a couple of additional issues into the picture which you should address regardless of this issue here.
    2. If mmc.exe itself does not launch (was not the case here) check whether %SystemRoot%\system32\mmc.exe.config exists and rename/delete it.
      In my case mmc was running just fine. I got errors only if I added a snap-in which was affected (task scheduler / event viewer). For me event viewer crashed no matter whether I used mmc.exe and adding the snap-in, launching eventvwr.msc or eventvwr.exe.
    3. Check SYSTEM PATH. Go to computer properties, advanced system settings, click "Environement Variables" (or just type "environment" in start menu search and select "Edit the system environment variables"). Make sure the "Path" variable in "System variables" section includes "%SystemRoot%\system32\Wbem". Note that multiple paths here are separated by semicolon ";". In my case the Path was really broken and I restored it, but it didn't resolve anything. Perhaps it might be one of the causes but restoring the path didn't resolve it.
    4. As the Wbem folder and WMI repository seems to be somehow involved in the issue I also decided to rebuild my WMI repository using my own script. However also this didn't resolve the issue. But the script did very good in earlier issues regarding WMI repository. So I am listing it here for completeness.

@echo off
      cd "%SystemRoot%\system32\wbem"

echo Stopping Windows Management Instrumentation service
      :: sc stop winmgmt
      net stop winmgmt

echo Going to clean WMI repository
      rd /s /q "Repository"

echo Restarting Windows Management Instrumentation service
      net start winmgmt

echo Restore Managed Object Format
      for %%i in (*.mof,*.mfl) do Mofcomp.exe %%i
    5. Try repairing .NET configuration: Some applications seem to mess up the .NET configuration at %SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework[64]\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config. For 64-bit systems only the files in Framework64 folders are relevant for Task Scheduler and Event Viewer. Finally I also copied the config files from a known-working installation with same effect as just removing the files.
      In fact after I simply removed machine.config my Task Scheduler snap-in started working again. But Event Viewer was still crashing, but with different error message. So I had to dig further.
    6. System restore. Restore your system to a known working state. However this might not work in all cases. In My case there were no system restore points available as the error appeared right after clean installation and full update. My machine spent about a day in clean setup, updating drivers, applying Windows updates and then auto-deploying a couple of applications. The error with Task Scheduler and Event Viewer was just discovered the day after. So I would anyway just have lost 1 day of work. But I decided to dig into the issue rather than just start over.
    7. I was about to give up and re-install when I decided to roll-back installed applications and updates step-by-step to see whether it could fix something. And yes, finally it did actually resolve the issue for me. So what I did was to go to control panel and show the update history. Here you can see all updates installed in order. In particular I was looking for Updates labelled with ".NET Framework" version 2.0 or 3.5.x and uninstalled them one-by-one in reverse order.
      Unfortunately if you go to control panel -> software -> show installed updates it will only show you the KB numbers and no details whether it's a .NET update. Hence you have to get the KBxxxxxxx number from the update history and then look for the same update in "installed updates" section to uninstall them.
      In my case I found that removing KB2844286 magically resolved the issue then. So I did a clean reboot and everything was working fine. Then I used Windows Update and of course it provided KB2244286 again. I thought "lets try" and just let Windows Update install it again. Unfortunately my system was broken instantly again after the update finished. So I removed it again.
      Then I just downloaded the same update from Microsoft Download Center. This time the update didn't break anything and Windows Update is happy too. Interestingly in update history the update now only shows up as "Security update for Windows (KB2844286)" and not any more as a .NET update. Nevermind it seems to have solved my issue.

In your case it might be a different update causing the issue. Perhaps it was incompletely applied or shutdown took place while applying or... whatever. Interesting finding is that even re-installing the update via Windows Update was causing exactly the same issue again and only clean download of offline installer resolved the issue. Perhaps the download package was somehow broken and cached but this would surprise me as well as cryptographic signatures and checksums would have been invalid and therefore the update could not be applied.

In any case I recommend to uninstall .NET Framework updates one-by-one in reverse order. Note: I did not uninstall my .NET Framework 4 and 4.5/4.5.1 updates as those frameworks are completely independent and my issue was clearly related to .NET 2.0/3.5 only.
    Finally I hope these hints might help somebody else to resolve this or similar issues without complete reinstall of Windows saving some hassle. Just too bad Microsoft sfc does obviously do a bad job in verifying integrity of built-in .NET framework.

Saturday, December 21, 2013 12:43 PM
  • This method worked great for me. All of the snap-ins were fubar'd (Server Manger, Event Viewer, etc.) .net listener would fail to start as well.

After the removal of 3.5.1 all is working correctly now.

Thanks Roga!

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:56 PM
  • Hi Folks,
    I came accros this  Discussion while searching at the Microsoft Knowlegebase {b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510} and the first entry is this discussion. 

This is the Problem:

MMC could not create the Snap-In. The Snap-In might not ben installed correctly.
    Name Eventviewer CLSID FX: {b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}

This Problem occurs now a few weeks. I tryed to fix the Error by removing, cleaning, reinstalling, repairing 
    any .NET Framework Installation and even used the NetFxRepairTool.exe and Aaron Stebner's unofficial .NET
    cleanup too but this didnt fix anything.I also verified my PATH variable and made sure it was set to %SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem; and restarted my Machine,
    but again, no effect. 

PC Refresh helped, but...Since this is happening on a Windows 8.1 x64 Pro System, i used the Feature Refreh PC which resetted Windows to the Factory defaults, uninstalled every Software but keeping my user preferences, documents, images ect.The Problem disapeared (WHILE NO .NET Component was installed
    by the Windows Setup, eventviewer worked like a charm.

But this didnt lasted long....
    After the PC Refresh and working Eventviewer i now installed under System/Software Turn/On off .NET
    again (no problem, eventviewer rechecked, no problem) then i installed my usual Software (Visual Studio
    ect) and i rechecked the Eventviewer again, no problem. A few days later, will all Updates for Windows and
    Microsoft Products the Problem occurs again and - fucked.

The Problem now occurs on other Systems as well:
    After a flawless Setup off an Windows Server 2012 R2 (no additional Software installed, just the Windows
    Setup) there where no problems with the eventviwer, until i enabled the Windows automatic update / microsoft
    Product Update in Windows Update. Now the Eventviewer Problem {b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510} occured on this System as well and i suspect an automatic Windows Update which causes this Problem.

Diagnostics:
    The Eventlogs for System, Security, Applications ect are functioning regardless of this error! 
    It is possible to print out the Syslogs with the wmic built in Utility on a elevated command prompt:wmic /output:"%userprofile%\syslog.html" ntevent where "logfile="System" and type="Error"" get Logfile, Message, SourceName, EventCode,Type, TimeGenerated /format: htable   There are also Thirdparty Eventviewer Alternatives like Nirsofts Freeware Eventviewer which works without any Problems, 

Conclusion:
    This is an Eventviewer but not an Evenlogger Systemfault, caused by am unknown Windows Update.

Tuesday, June 02, 2015 9:19 AM
  • Additional Errorinfo:

I aunched MMC exe (without any error) and was trying to Add some snap-ins to my empty root console:
    I noticed all snap-ins snapped in fine with the exception of:

OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Autoupdate Windows/Microsoft Products, no updates left as of 6/2/2015)

MMC cannot initialize the following snap-ins

Name: Eventviewer
    CLSID: FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}

Name: Task Scheduler
    CLSID: FX:{c7b8fb06-bfe1-4c2e-9217-7a69a95bbac4}

Name: Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
    CLSID: FX:{b05566ac-fe9c-4368-be02-7a4cbb7cbe11}

Name: TPM Management
    CLSID: FX:{7d3830aa-e69e-4e17-8bd1-1b87b97099da}

Name: NAP Client Configuration
    CLSID: FX:{a1bc4eca-66b2-44e8-9915-be02e84438ba}

The Problem cannot be solved with Windows Restore, Remove/Installing/Repairing .NET or resetting 
    Systempath to
    "%SystemRoot%\system32\Wbem" WMI works fine. Now it occurs on Win2012_R2 also. The only thing in common is Windows Update for Windows and Microsoft Update is turned onand no Updates are left as of 6/2/2015

Tuesday, June 02, 2015 10:32 AM
  • Does really Nobody has an answer?

This happend to me 3 times.

2) Times on my production System (even after a executed PC Refresh, where no settings where left)

1) Times in VMWare on a totaly diffrent System Windows Server 2012 R2 Evaluation after i installed
    all updates and nothing else.

I cannot affort anytime this Problem occurs to reinstall the whole System, i have work to do, 
    so please folks report this to MS Devs and provide at least an deeper inside and a Howto fix this
    without restore, just the Registry hacks please.

Sunday, June 21, 2015 3:51 AM
  • Sorry fols, i followed this steps and nothing worked for me:

I run 3 times (2 on my work pc and 1 times on a Windows 2012 R2 Server)

Only Solution to fix this, was not a systemrestore, but a clean install:

Theese Errors i have discovered also:

MMC cannot initialize the snap-in

Name: Eventviewer
    CLSID: FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}  <<-- main error

Name: Task Scheduler
    CLSID: FX:{c7b8fb06-bfe1-4c2e-9217-7a69a95bbac4}

Name: Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
    CLSID: FX:{b05566ac-fe9c-4368-be02-7a4cbb7cbe11}

Name: TPM Management
    CLSID: FX:{7d3830aa-e69e-4e17-8bd1-1b87b97099da}

Name: NAP Client Configuration
    CLSID: FX:{a1bc4eca-66b2-44e8-9915-be02e84438ba}

I reinstalled .NET, resetted the Sysvariables (wbem) i even created a crashdump and investigaged

the dmp file in WinDBG but i wasnt able to find a slightest clue where is Error is comming from.

Also reagclean tools, .net removal/reinstall didnt work, even the sfc /scannow or DISM Imaging Repar was able to fix this. I also discoverred the CLSID and and found the DLL's and tryed to regsvr32 the files, but found out i could not be registerred. 

After 3 times the same procedure, simply after updating my Computer and some VMware Guest Installs with a diffent OS (Windows 2012 R2) i simply cannot affort every time Systemrestore, Reset

or Cleaninstall the OS entirely, i have work todo!

Microsoft: If possible, get some detailed infos how this thing MMC.exe and Eventviewer are

working inside and what registry keys are affected. I need to understand the Problem to fix

it intime, if it occurs again! The other way is to disable Windows Updates, but this would

be an other kind of disaster.

Dave

Sunday, June 21, 2015 4:19 AM
  • I am in the same Boat....I swear Microsoft have Corrupted Their system and let us sort it out, Over the Need for TOTAL control over Us and our Personal information....Total Ownership is more important to them.

Sunday, September 03, 2017 6:36 AM
  • Hello everyone !

Hope everyone is doing well!

We had similar issue , server manager was not working and Non of the MMC was working, we loggged MS case and as per the MS suggestion, below fix worked. 

Fixing the Server Manger crash

1. rename the file desktop.ini file under C:\Windows\assembly.
    2. Backup the file System.Xml  under the folder C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089
    3. Remove COMPLus_ZapDisable with set it as “”
    4. Copy the file System.Xml  from a working fine server.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:30 PM