none
DNS replication time and check DNS [Solved] RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have a software that uses DNS and reverse DNS of company domain to work properly.
    At the moment, in the company, there are two domain controllers.
    Both of them has got AD, DHCP and DNS services.

I would improve, if it is possible DNS replication time between these two domain controllers.
    These two DC are in the same VLAN and in the same site.

How can I check it?
    Is it possibile decrease DNS replication time?
    How can I check if all, about DNS, work properly?

Thanks so much!

Federico

Thursday, July 9, 2020 1:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Something here might help.

https://serverfault.com/questions/419658/how-to-speed-up-ad-integrated-dns-zone-replication-server-2008-r2

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 9, 2020 1:28 PM
  • Its all depended on how you configure sitelink frequency of replication, you can configure the schedule as per your requirement

you can force the replication manually

https://www.windowstricks.in/2009/11/force-active-directory-replication.html

https://www.windowstricks.in/2010/03/sync-active-directory-replication.html

Regards,
    Ganesamoorthy.S
    www.windowstricks.in)

Thursday, July 9, 2020 5:29 PM
  • Hello,
    Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

1.AD-integrated DNS replication is replicated through AD replication. 
    2.The AD replication speed between DCs in the same site is very fast (10+second).
    3.We can check if there is any AD replication issue between the two DCs by runnning repadmin /showrepl * /csv >C:\showrepl.csv.

If the result looks like this (there is no error), AD replication is work fine, that mean DNS replication is work fine.

After checking, if AD replication (DNS replication) is working fine, would you please tell us:
    1.Why you want to improve DNS replication time?
    2.What is the actual problem?

Meanwhile, I find you have posted a same case here.
    DNS replication time and check DNS
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/5c90a953-34f0-4460-abff-d265b73d1ce5/dns-replication-time-and-check-dns?forum=winserveripamdhcpdns

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 10, 2020 9:56 AM
  • Hi,
    Would you please tell me how things are going on your side. If you have any questions or concerns about the information I provided, please don't hesitate to let us know. 
    Again thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 13, 2020 4:58 AM
  • Dear Daisy Zhou,
    thanks so much for your reply.

>> AD-integrated DNS replication is replicated through AD replication.
    Good, I didn't know it!

>> The AD replication speed between DCs in the same site is very fast (10+second).
    Ok, nice to hear

>> We can check if there is any AD replication issue between the two DCs by runnning
    repadmin >> /showrepl * /csv >C:\showrepl.csv.

This is my output

>> 1.Why you want to improve DNS replication time?
    >> 2.What is the actual problem?

I do not have particular problem inside Local Domain with Microsoft software.
    I have issue with other software that use DNS. Their support asked me to check DNS replication due to this software use a lot Local DNS and Local Reserve DNS.

After your test I have seen that I do no have issues. All works fine about DNS and AD replication.

Best regards
    Federico

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 7:49 AM
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your update.

I am so glad that AD replication (DNS replication) is working fine.

What software are you talking?
    Can the software work properly?
    If it is a third-part software, have you consulted their support engineer about the issue?

This "Directory Services" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details. 

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

"Directory Services" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Directory Services"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Thursday, July 16, 2020 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

Yes after this replication Active Directory and DNS check I have contacted support engineer of this software. It is a third-part software.

Thanks so much for all your help

Federico

Sunday, July 19, 2020 6:57 PM
  • Hello,
    Thank you for your update and marking my reply as answer.

As always, if there is any question in future, we warmly welcome you to post in this forum again. We are happy to assist you!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

"Directory Services" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Directory Services"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.
    Monday, July 20, 2020 12:56 AM