none
Use of DFS for Lync File share RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We use DFS as a central location of data, and we wish to store the Lync file share (address book, conferencing data etc) here as well. The path to the location sounds like \\Company.com\DFS-root\APPS\Lync. We cannot use this notation in the Topology Builder, as only FQDN names are supported. Can anyone give us a clue how we can point to the DFS namespace? According to the product documentation, DFS should be supported in a Lync environment. Thanks for reading and your reply in advance!

Best regards,

Serge Linneweever
    UC Consultant
    VX Company 

Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:05 PM

Answers

• Serge,

this is a known issue with the Topology Builder.  A fix is in the works but there is no ETA at this moment.  Hopefully when the next CU comes out it will include a fix.  Check for this kb2500418 which currently isn't available but once the fix has been released it should corrospond to that kb

thanks

Mike Hefner

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:15 PM

All replies

•  

As you say it is supported

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg399073.aspx

Apparently this problem with topology builder is a known bug

"Live Communications Team 301693 - Lync Topology Builder does not allow you to enter valid DFS path"

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsplanningdeployment/thread/1061e13c-6349-4494-894c-e1d7d7914e18/

I don't know if this was fixed with the latest round of patches, are you patched up to date?

thanks

Tom

If a post is helpful, please take a second to hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer, thanks
    Tom Arbuthnot, Consultant Modality Systems
    Blog: Lync'd Up Blog RSS

Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:03 PM
  • Hello,

Please check below rules and confirm your setting.

For DFS with name space root, the UNC path must be either \\domain.com\DFSroot\folder for domain or \\serverFQDN\DFSroot\folder for standalone DFS with namespace root. For DFS shared folder replication only, the format would be \\domain.com\share. Topology builder will only let you enter "\\serverFQDN\share" and will not accept the format "\\server\share\folder" nor will it allow you to enter "domain.com" in the server FQDN field if it is the same domain as your sip domain. If you attempt to use an empty name space root in DFS, you cannot set replication since that is done at the folder level .

Best Regards!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 2:05 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. In the Topology Builer I am looking at, nothing containing a backslash is accepted, so for me there is no way to enter something like  \\serverFQDN\DFSroot\folder for a new filestore. Perhaps I am missing something here? Please advise.

Thanks very much,

Serge

Monday, May 2, 2011 10:32 AM
  • Hello Tom,

Thanks for your reply. We are indeed pathed up to date. But still, the field turns red when we even start thinking about putting a backslash in there..

Regards

Serge

Monday, May 2, 2011 10:33 AM
  • Hi,

Please refer to this document to deploy DFS setp by step.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732863(WS.10).aspx

Best Regards!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 3:08 AM
  • Thanks, but our DFS is running nice and smoothly. No need at this moment for a redeployment. The problem is that - unless the DFS is accessible through FQDN - there's no way to define a DFS namespace via the Topology Builder. A DFS namespace usually contains backslashes, which are not allowed to use in the 'file share' wizard.

Regards,

Serge 

Friday, May 6, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Serge,

this is a known issue with the Topology Builder.  A fix is in the works but there is no ETA at this moment.  Hopefully when the next CU comes out it will include a fix.  Check for this kb2500418 which currently isn't available but once the fix has been released it should corrospond to that kb

thanks

Mike Hefner

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Thanks Mike.  Is there any update or workaround on this issue?  I searched for the KB article you referenced but assuming since I didn't find anything it's not out yet as you indicated.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:50 PM
  • unfortunately no, it appears to be slated for later this year but I can't make any promises.
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:20 PM
  • Sorry to revive an old topic, but has this been fixed yet?  We have encountered this issue when trying to publish our Topology using a DFS File Share, and it is now causing issues with our Response Groups and Device Updates.

Thanks.

Friday, December 16, 2011 7:46 PM
  • this should be fixed in cu4.  There is still an issue that you can't enter a share that is more than 2 levels deep.

ie \\domaindfsroot\target should work but \\domaindfsroot\folder\target will not work with on-premise but should work with Lync Online.

If you have cu4 installed and still seeing the issue I would recommend calling into support.

thanks

Mike Hefner

Friday, December 16, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Great!  We have a scheduled network outage this weekend, where we will apply the update.  Is it a case of just trying to republish the topology, or should we move the file share again from scratch to another location in DFS?

Thanks.

Friday, December 16, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Still can't use DFS for hosting Lync share.

Topology builder says something like "share server name already used in topoligy"

Of course it's already used, becouse sip domain name = ad domain name = dfs namespace.

See my next topic about "used" fqdn, now it's about simple urls

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsplanningdeployment/thread/533db260-5ddb-4cde-beae-04a01bb2ffb9

MCITP: EA, SA, EMA, LSA, VA; MCSA
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:04 AM
  • Good news for you :)

Lync Server Cumulative Update 5 fixes the DFS problem in Topology Builder
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=11551

- Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-lync.be -

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 7:49 PM