none
Custom Installation of Office 2013 Pro Plus RRS feed

• Question

• How can I do a custom installation of Office 2013?     I want to install to a different partition than the system drive.

No matter whether I install from Office 365 or a DVD, it installs automatically without allowing me to change any settings.

Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

as far as I'm aware, click-to-run versions of Office don't allow you to choose the installation folder/location.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

as far as I'm aware, click-to-run versions of Office don't allow you to choose the installation folder/location.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:58 AM
  • Hi Don,

Thanks very much for your prompt answer on a Sunday morning.  Since I have tried every way there is to get it to cooperate, I was very much afraid of that.

So as a re-direct is there any such thing as a non-click-to-run version of Office 2013?  Where would I get it? 

It strikes me that Microsoft is more and more taking control of the environment, and not supporting us old-time tinkerers who want to do everything their own way.  Not sure if this is a good thing;  sounds like a good discussion topic for the forums.

Cheers,
    David

Sunday, April 13, 2014 4:43 PM
  • C2R was the name given to the new packaging method, introduced in the  Office2010 timeframe.
    C2R uses Application Virtualisation (App-V) and some other components, to "install" and virtualise the file system and registry components of Office. With Office2010 in this format, Office365 was released.
    C2R / App-V, has a number of advantages, especially related to streaming and on-demand scenarios, but it requires periodic internet access, and a decent internet connection.
    Later, Office2013 was released in a similar, but "improved" fashion - also known as Office365.
    One of the significant differences with Office365, is the subscription-based licensing model, and the subscription management components (which require you to login to a Microsoft account to validate and re-validate) are embedded.

Retail editions of Office2013 (Home & Business, Home & Student, Professional) are also released in C2R format.
    (Some Retail, non-subscription editions of Office2010 could be obtained in traditional MSI format.)

Currently, non-subscription editions of Office2013, in MSI format, are only available to Volume Licensing customers.
    These are specific editions (e.g. Office2013 Standard, and Office 2013 ProfessionalPlus/ProPlus), and are not available in Retail editions.

So, non-C2R is available, to Volume License customers. Which is fine if you are one, and not so great if you aren't one.

Don

Sunday, April 13, 2014 9:19 PM
  • Wow, what a terrifically precise and detailed description.  It fits so well with my Engineer's brain I'm wondering if you're one also! :)

You're clearly an expert, head and shoulders above mere IT Pros and MVPs.  It is so refreshing to find a unique clear-headed and articulate source like yourself.  Have you written any books?  You should.

David Pike
    Stratton House Computer Associates
    Vancouver

Monday, April 14, 2014 11:31 PM
  • Wow, (etc)

I'm afraid I've spent far too long in the company of engineering types, inevitable really, having worked in this large Australian Telco/IT space for most of it. Not sure that the praise is deserved, but glad that you felt so ;)

Don

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:59 AM