none
Windows 7 & Lightscribe

Question

• I have also installed an HP lightscribe dvd writer.  Lightscribe websight says it is compatable with Windows 7.  The drive will read and write media but will not burn lightscribe labels.  I have been to HP, emachines, lightscribe, Acer, and Geek Squad.  No one can help me, they all just keep passing the buck.  I only purchased my computer 3 months ago and the dvd drive 4 days ago.  You would think if they are compatable, I could use it!  This issue has literally brought me to tears!  Anyone who thinks they can fix the problem wants another $150.00 to $200.00 to do it, maybe do it!  I think I have spent enough on this equipment, it should work!! Somebody PLEASE help me!!  I think its the computer drives, firmware or bios that need to be updated to read the "lightscribe" drive.  Are there any downloads anywhere?????
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 5:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Mad Dogg,

What is the model number of the optical drive?

1. Click Start

2. type devmgmt in the search box

3. select device manager from the programs in the results

4. Expand (click on CD\DVD drives)

5. right click on the new HP drive

6. select properties

7. select the details tab

8. select the Hardware id's from the drop-down box

9. right-click the first line and copy it

10. paste it into the reply here in the forum

You do realize that you have to flip the disk-burn side down or the top for lightscribe labeling- and have lightscribe disks? (Sorry-had to ask the obvious)

Here is the lightscribe download site- system software-free labeler-and diagnostics: http://www.lightscribe.com/DownloadSection/windows/index.aspx

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 11:00 AM
  • Although LightScribe System Software is free & obtainable directly from the Lightscribe http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/windows/index.aspx?id=810 site - you'll notice that the latest LightScribe ESD software [LS_Update_1.18.26.7_.exe] - fails to fully complete its install due to an error within their latest LightScribe system software update as this is an issue w/ either the software makers/venders or uploaders! So you can't use it & so either wait for a new LightScribe software update or just use an earlier LightScribe software version as follows:-

+
    DOWNLOAD NOW

File name  LS_Update_1.18.24.1_.exe
    File size  13.0 MB
    Revision  1.18.24.1
    Release Date  June 20, 2011
    Notes  New drive support
    Requirements  LightScribe enabled drive, media, and labeling software also needed.

In order to correctly install any previous LightScribe System Software which is an earlier LightScribe System Software version release rather than the current installed version:- the same still applies to upgrading to any new LightScribe System Software release version:-> please go to the "Control Panel" & "open up "Applications and features" & in there you'll need to select "Lightscribe System Software" so that this software can be fully removed & then proceed to un-install it! - After that you'll be able to fully install any previous/new LightScribe System Software as a clean install.

The above [LS_Update_1.18.24.1_.exe] software package will fully install the LSS on any Windows 8 Enterprise/Professional (x64) RTM Build: 9200 operating system which was obtained from out of a portion of my previous BD-R (LightScribe web-site) LightScribe System Software.mht complete web page together w/ ESD backup of an older LightScribe software version which I had done & still use due to those [LS_Update_1.18.26.7_.exe] Windows 8 (x64) installation issues!

LightScribe was conceived by Hewlett-Packard engineer Daryl Anderson. Further details can be found at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightScribe regarding LightScribe which has now ended in May 2011 & includes details about a stable release v1.18.24.1 for computer's LighScribe Optical Drives, & as such would be classified as the software part of of a computer's LighScribe Optical Drives hardware! Although HP www.hp.com did & still possibly supply www.lightscribe.com with their lightscribe drivers for downloads - one can also get them from HP as well - but maybe some users would not know exactly where to go within HP's site as HP aren't very clear with regards to finding this old data & the LightScribe Optical Drive would be useless without the LightScribe System Software due to LightScribe which ended in May 2011!

"Beginning in May 2011, HP LightScribe® technology optical disc drives will be at the end of their production life in HP Desktop Workstations and Commercial Desktop PCs."

Here is HP (US) alternative to the www.lightscribe.com site due to these "lightscibe - multiple site failures" over the week-ends & on week-days as no one seems to get much from LighScribe!

If any of the above LightScribe software fails - then you could either try to use the HP LightScribe System Software - v1.18.20.1 REV: A. (sp51638.exe) made by HP on their US site http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitemb-91820-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en as I've tested it out on my RTM edition of Windows 8 Professional (x64) - Build 9200 it both correctly installed & worked each time under (3) different clean install tests - or if that fails for any reasons then you could try one that Nero provides within either Nero 11 & 12 suites & try to use the latest Nero 11/12 software build - as both the Nero 11/12 suites & above provide LightScribe system software which usually gets installed during any clean Nero 11/12 installation!

Under Windows 8 Enterprise/Professional (x64) - should the LightScribe System Software for Nero 12 Platinum fail to be installed, you'll then need to use the www.lightscribe.com site to both download & manually install the LightScribe System Software yourself after Nero 12 Platinum has been installed - as I manually installed LightScribe System Software LS_Update_1.18.24.1_ which was obtained from a previous Blu-ray backup as I was unable to locate it within Nero 12 Platinum possibly caused by the new LightScribe System Software build install error which I explained in my first two lines (top) et cetera

a) This is where LightScribe System Software should be placed within Nero 12 Platinum (Nero Express) once it´s fully installed as per both of these screenshots shows!

I also had to manually install Nero CoverDesigner as Nero now provides this as a freebie add-on which has to be downloaded seperately for their new Nero 12 suites! Notice that the LightScribe System Software is also available within the Nero CoverDesigner as well!

b) This is where LightScribe System Software should be placed within Nero 12 Platinum (Nero CoverDesigner) once it´s fully installed as per both of these screenshots shows!

An alternative possibly if it works is for you to select an appropriate LightScribe software from "your LightScribe product manufacturer which will have the best knowledge of your specific configuration and needs, and they are recommended as your first source of updates whenever possible." - Use the "Dropdown Listings" & then save an appropriate executable file to your "Downloads" folder & then run the ESD after the download has completed as it may be able work w/ most LightScribe Optical Drives on the market today!

Notice:- Roxio Creator 2012 Pro & below doesn't provide any "LightScribe" system software during any installs at all! If you use any Roxio 2009 & above products, you'll then need to use the www.lightscribe.com site for your "LightScribe" system software!

Xen Ovid-Sophron-Naso

• Proposed as answer by x-osn Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:45 PM
    • Edited by x-osn Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Sunday, December 02, 2012 5:11 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Mad Dogg,

What is the model number of the optical drive?

1. Click Start

2. type devmgmt in the search box

3. select device manager from the programs in the results

4. Expand (click on CD\DVD drives)

5. right click on the new HP drive

6. select properties

7. select the details tab

8. select the Hardware id's from the drop-down box

9. right-click the first line and copy it

10. paste it into the reply here in the forum

You do realize that you have to flip the disk-burn side down or the top for lightscribe labeling- and have lightscribe disks? (Sorry-had to ask the obvious)

Here is the lightscribe download site- system software-free labeler-and diagnostics: http://www.lightscribe.com/DownloadSection/windows/index.aspx

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 11:00 AM
  • Hello, I am running Windows 7 64x and I am having the same issues. I followed your steps from above and here are my Serial Numbers as I have two lightscribe drives and cannot get either to work. They worked fine with Windows XP

SCSI\CdRomOptiarc_DVD_RW_AD-7261S_1.03
    SCSI\CdRomTSSTcorpCDDVDW_SH-S223Q_SB03

Both drives are lightscribe equipped and neither one of them are showing up in the "LightScribe Diagnostic Utility" I am running LLS Version 1.18.22.2 which I just downloaded today.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I use the lightscribe feature for my photography business.

Thanks

Saturday, April 16, 2011 8:28 PM
  • Hi Big E5482,

The fact that you are running 64-bit is creating some difficulty with the age of the drives. 32-bit is more forgiving. Working with XP or not is irrelevant. This is Win 7 64-bit.

There is firmware upgrade for the Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/SH-S223Q Apply that and see what happens.

I did not check for Sony. typically difficult.

Monday, April 18, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Although LightScribe System Software is free & obtainable directly from the Lightscribe http://www.lightscribe.com/downloadSection/windows/index.aspx?id=810 site - you'll notice that the latest LightScribe ESD software [LS_Update_1.18.26.7_.exe] - fails to fully complete its install due to an error within their latest LightScribe system software update as this is an issue w/ either the software makers/venders or uploaders! So you can't use it & so either wait for a new LightScribe software update or just use an earlier LightScribe software version as follows:-

+
    DOWNLOAD NOW

File name  LS_Update_1.18.24.1_.exe
    File size  13.0 MB
    Revision  1.18.24.1
    Release Date  June 20, 2011
    Notes  New drive support
    Requirements  LightScribe enabled drive, media, and labeling software also needed.

In order to correctly install any previous LightScribe System Software which is an earlier LightScribe System Software version release rather than the current installed version:- the same still applies to upgrading to any new LightScribe System Software release version:-> please go to the "Control Panel" & "open up "Applications and features" & in there you'll need to select "Lightscribe System Software" so that this software can be fully removed & then proceed to un-install it! - After that you'll be able to fully install any previous/new LightScribe System Software as a clean install.

The above [LS_Update_1.18.24.1_.exe] software package will fully install the LSS on any Windows 8 Enterprise/Professional (x64) RTM Build: 9200 operating system which was obtained from out of a portion of my previous BD-R (LightScribe web-site) LightScribe System Software.mht complete web page together w/ ESD backup of an older LightScribe software version which I had done & still use due to those [LS_Update_1.18.26.7_.exe] Windows 8 (x64) installation issues!

LightScribe was conceived by Hewlett-Packard engineer Daryl Anderson. Further details can be found at Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LightScribe regarding LightScribe which has now ended in May 2011 & includes details about a stable release v1.18.24.1 for computer's LighScribe Optical Drives, & as such would be classified as the software part of of a computer's LighScribe Optical Drives hardware! Although HP www.hp.com did & still possibly supply www.lightscribe.com with their lightscribe drivers for downloads - one can also get them from HP as well - but maybe some users would not know exactly where to go within HP's site as HP aren't very clear with regards to finding this old data & the LightScribe Optical Drive would be useless without the LightScribe System Software due to LightScribe which ended in May 2011!

"Beginning in May 2011, HP LightScribe® technology optical disc drives will be at the end of their production life in HP Desktop Workstations and Commercial Desktop PCs."

Here is HP (US) alternative to the www.lightscribe.com site due to these "lightscibe - multiple site failures" over the week-ends & on week-days as no one seems to get much from LighScribe!

If any of the above LightScribe software fails - then you could either try to use the HP LightScribe System Software - v1.18.20.1 REV: A. (sp51638.exe) made by HP on their US site http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitemb-91820-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en as I've tested it out on my RTM edition of Windows 8 Professional (x64) - Build 9200 it both correctly installed & worked each time under (3) different clean install tests - or if that fails for any reasons then you could try one that Nero provides within either Nero 11 & 12 suites & try to use the latest Nero 11/12 software build - as both the Nero 11/12 suites & above provide LightScribe system software which usually gets installed during any clean Nero 11/12 installation!

Under Windows 8 Enterprise/Professional (x64) - should the LightScribe System Software for Nero 12 Platinum fail to be installed, you'll then need to use the www.lightscribe.com site to both download & manually install the LightScribe System Software yourself after Nero 12 Platinum has been installed - as I manually installed LightScribe System Software LS_Update_1.18.24.1_ which was obtained from a previous Blu-ray backup as I was unable to locate it within Nero 12 Platinum possibly caused by the new LightScribe System Software build install error which I explained in my first two lines (top) et cetera

a) This is where LightScribe System Software should be placed within Nero 12 Platinum (Nero Express) once it´s fully installed as per both of these screenshots shows!

I also had to manually install Nero CoverDesigner as Nero now provides this as a freebie add-on which has to be downloaded seperately for their new Nero 12 suites! Notice that the LightScribe System Software is also available within the Nero CoverDesigner as well!

b) This is where LightScribe System Software should be placed within Nero 12 Platinum (Nero CoverDesigner) once it´s fully installed as per both of these screenshots shows!

An alternative possibly if it works is for you to select an appropriate LightScribe software from "your LightScribe product manufacturer which will have the best knowledge of your specific configuration and needs, and they are recommended as your first source of updates whenever possible." - Use the "Dropdown Listings" & then save an appropriate executable file to your "Downloads" folder & then run the ESD after the download has completed as it may be able work w/ most LightScribe Optical Drives on the market today!

Notice:- Roxio Creator 2012 Pro & below doesn't provide any "LightScribe" system software during any installs at all! If you use any Roxio 2009 & above products, you'll then need to use the www.lightscribe.com site for your "LightScribe" system software!

Xen Ovid-Sophron-Naso

• Proposed as answer by x-osn Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:45 PM
    • Edited by x-osn Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Sunday, December 02, 2012 5:11 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:35 PM
  • ok heres your problem windows 7 64bit reads your new lightscribe as scsi instesd of sata therefore the lightscribe program cant find the drive sence it is made only to find sata i have the same problem on my computer i can not find a program for scsi lightscribe or how to change my scsi to sata even though it is pluged into a sata port

• Proposed as answer by dizzydog Sunday, November 18, 2012 3:23 PM
    • Edited by dizzydog Sunday, November 18, 2012 3:24 PM
    Sunday, November 18, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Due to the following HP reasons as set out below - HP has stopped the making of any new LightScribe technology optical disc drivers! - So you'll have to make do with the [LS_Update_1.18.24.1_.exe] software package link I provided above in my previous post as that will fully install the LSS on any Windows 8 Enterprise/Professional (x64) RTM Build: 9200 operating system!

The alternative to LightScribe would be to possibly use LabelFlsh optical disc drives as those discs on the picture side have a very smooth/glossy blue-black finish to them! Here's the LabelFlash site http://labelflash.jp/ for you!

Xen Ovid-Sophron-Naso

• Edited by x-osn Saturday, December 29, 2012 2:33 AM
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 2:19 AM
  • LS is pretty much dead with the new PC's running 64 bit OS or have the Intel Applications Accelerator installed. The new PC's treat the drives as SCSI instead of SATA. Check it out in the device manager. LS drives are no longer on the market. The LS website does not provide a link to contact support or send FB. Their latest LS System software update released in March 2013 does not address this problem, resulting in a communication error of 4224. The latest Cyberlink Labelprint 2.5 no long has LS as a choice of making disk labels in their software. Don't waste anymore money on LS disks or drives, unless you can use the technology in older working computers.
    Saturday, August 24, 2013 4:16 AM
  • IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GH22LS50________________TL03____
    Sunday, September 29, 2013 12:18 PM
  • USBSTOR\CdRomhp______CDDVDW_TS-L633R_0300

My error message reads  "no burning software detected"  when I try to burn the label side of my LightScribe disks and I have LightScribe software installed that came with the drive listed above. I cannot afford Nero software that suports this feature.  I can be reached at my registered email

Thanks ever so much       Joe

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:36 PM

• Well i have the same problem here and as far i can discover there is no solution to it, am i right?

I have installed a HP(Sony Optiarc) BD-5741H6 which is a Blu-ray/dvd burner which should have Lightscribe capability's  but no result.

I have installed all the Lightscribe system software and utility's but in vain.

Lightscribe.com is non existing and HP non responsive as well SonyOptiarc, so my last resort is here.

Is there a solution? I have also tried windows10 in the meantime but there it's also not working.

What the h is so difficult to get it right?

Please help???

Monday, June 22, 2015 2:38 PM
  • IDE\CdRomPLDS_DVD+-RW_DH-16ACS___________________JD12____

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 8:28 PM