none
word 2010 won't open and I really need it to now

Question

• My office word 2010 will not open and I have no idea what to do.  I have no tech skills.  If I can't get to my proposal I lose a client.  I've found 2010 to be problematic.  Please help.  I have restarted to the computer several times and gone into the control pannel.  Please help.
    Friday, November 19, 2010 1:03 AM

Answers

• If you don't see Run listed there, when you click on start type winword /safe in the blank box that appears above the start button
    Friday, November 19, 2010 1:24 AM
  • Hi,

Sirris's advice is helpful. So can you start Word in safe mode [hold ctrl key while double-clicking the word shortcut]? When you do this, you can see a message that mentions "Do you want to start Word in safe mode?" Click "YES".

If you can start Word in this situation, you can open your file within Word, and disable add-ins.

Click the File menu –> Options link –> Navigate to Add-Ins options.

Select Disabled Items in the Manage dropdown and click the Go button. This would display the following Disabled Items window using which you can see and also re-enable the disabled add-in. You can select the ones you wish to re-enable and click the Enable button.

Also you can refer to this KB article about How to troubleshoot damaged documents in Word 2010

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918429

Hope that helps.

Friday, November 19, 2010 1:59 AM

All replies

• Try:

1. Click on start
    2. Click on Run
    3. Type in: winword /safe
    4. Click ok

This is not a fix but it will get Word to work at least.

If this does work, I would suggest renaming your normal templates and seeing if that fixes the problem.

Friday, November 19, 2010 1:07 AM
  • where is the Run command?
    Friday, November 19, 2010 1:20 AM
  • If you don't see Run listed there, when you click on start type winword /safe in the blank box that appears above the start button
    Friday, November 19, 2010 1:24 AM
  • typed in winword/safe.  All that happened was a message that there wasn't a matching file. 

Really Microsoft--I can't open my word docs?  If the simplest of commands can't be executed in a new products, what good is the products?  If I don't get access to my work I'm in deep ____.  Are you guys willing to pay me when my client won't?

Friday, November 19, 2010 1:38 AM
  • Hi,

Sirris's advice is helpful. So can you start Word in safe mode [hold ctrl key while double-clicking the word shortcut]? When you do this, you can see a message that mentions "Do you want to start Word in safe mode?" Click "YES".

If you can start Word in this situation, you can open your file within Word, and disable add-ins.

Click the File menu –> Options link –> Navigate to Add-Ins options.

Select Disabled Items in the Manage dropdown and click the Go button. This would display the following Disabled Items window using which you can see and also re-enable the disabled add-in. You can select the ones you wish to re-enable and click the Enable button.

Also you can refer to this KB article about How to troubleshoot damaged documents in Word 2010

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918429

Hope that helps.

Friday, November 19, 2010 1:59 AM