none
BCS Connectivity Service External Content Type RRS feed

• Question

• I inherited a farm recently where the previous administrator has created a BCS connection to read from SQL system. The connection seems to be working fine. However it is pulling more than 200 items and shows the following message.

1. How can I show more rows in item picker (when we add an external column)?

2. How can I edit the existing connection? I created one using designer but when I go to the site where there is already BCS connection, I am not able to see the external content type.

Thanks

ViviSP

• Edited by ViviSP Wednesday, July 31, 2019 5:04 PM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2019 4:53 PM

Answers

• Hello Krishna,

Thank you for asking more information.

I found answers to my questions with more research.

The default number of items that shows are 201. If you have more than that items, it is advisable to have filters on Read List Operation where you can search the specific items.

There were some powershell commands solution in some blogs. But I didn't take that route.

2. How can I edit the existing connection? I created one using designer but when I go to the site where there is already BCS connection, I am not able to see the external content type.

To edit the existing connection, you have to have administrator permission on BCS service application and also Set Metadata permissions as suggested below. Once I have myself these permissions, the external content types started showing up in my designer.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/sharepoint-foundation-2010/ff973113(v=office.14)

ViviSP

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 8:13 PM

All replies

• Hi ViviSP,

Looks like you missed to add the error message. Could you please provide that to investigate further.

Enjoy the SharePoint !!

Best Regards,
    Krishna

If this Post helps you, then please don't forget to mark it answer or Vote for this post.
    Wednesday, July 31, 2019 6:11 PM
  • Hello Krishna,

Thank you for asking more information.

I found answers to my questions with more research.

The default number of items that shows are 201. If you have more than that items, it is advisable to have filters on Read List Operation where you can search the specific items.

There were some powershell commands solution in some blogs. But I didn't take that route.

To edit the existing connection, you have to have administrator permission on BCS service application and also Set Metadata permissions as suggested below. Once I have myself these permissions, the external content types started showing up in my designer.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/sharepoint-foundation-2010/ff973113(v=office.14)

ViviSP

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 8:13 PM

• Hi ViviSP, 

Since your issue is solved, please remember to mark your reply as an answer. It will be beneficial to others in the community who meet this similar issue in the future. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, August 1, 2019 2:34 AM