none
Disable Outlook OCX AddIn Toolbars

Question

• Hello everyone

I want to disable an outlook 2003 addin that was installed with a .ocx file. Due to change process reasons I'm not able to remove it on the server.

Therefore I try to disable it via a GPO. The Key [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\<AddIn>\LoadBehavior] ist set to 0 with the policy. The addin disappears but the toolbars are still visible.
    Additionally I added the outlook11.adm and tried to "grey out" the toolbar respectively the buttons, but it isn't working.

Maybe is the point that the buttons are only visible in a opened e-mail and not in the normal outlook window?

Thanks for help, tips and so on.

Regards & nice weekend

Friday, September 09, 2011 2:31 PM

All replies

• Have you tried to right click on the toolbar and uncheck that custom toolbar ?

You could also try to reset the toolbars.

Friday, September 09, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Yes I did and it would work. The problem is, I don't want to disable the toolbar manually for a few hundered users. Thats the reason why I try to do it via the policy. Another reason is, the users are working with a published desktop and we want to remove the addin independent from the change process of the desktop.
    Monday, September 12, 2011 5:43 AM
  • Yes I did and it would work. The problem is, I don't want to disable the toolbar manually for a few hundered users. Thats the reason why I try to do it via the policy. Another reason is, the users are working with a published desktop and we want to remove the addin independent from the change process of the desktop.
    Monday, September 12, 2011 5:43 AM
  • What happens if you delete the registry key competely? Or rename it

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\<AddIn>

Can you also check that the add-in is not present under these keys as well?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins

And did this add-in create a custom form to use instead of the default Outlook form?

I am asking this because the old form might still be associated with certain folders, like Inbox, and this is why you still see toolbars present when you open a new mail.

For example, if you right-click on Inbox, choose Properties, do you have a tab called Forms? And is the name of your add-in there?

If it is, you can click on Manage and then delete the form.

Monday, September 12, 2011 8:55 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I'll check out whats gonna happen if I remove the key completely. The add-in is not present under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Extensions  

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins

The part with the new forms I don't really understand. Do you mean there are certain forms for outlook. If the addin created a form, it's associated with this form. So for each folder this form is associated you can see the e.g. the toolbar?
    I have to clarify this with the guys the add-in is added, I cannot see it. But very nice, that really could be the point.

Thanks a lot

Monday, September 12, 2011 9:19 AM
  • Hello everyone

I was able to try the suggested work arrounds, nothing was working. The add-in is not associated with a form and no changes if the whole HKCU\...\Outlook\Addins\<Addin> key was deletet.

Any other suggestions?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:00 AM
  • Have you also tried to run Outlook with the /cleanviews switch?

And could you try to run Process Monitor when you are starting Outlook and in the log that is created, do a search for the name of your add-in? Maybe you will see this way if there are any registry keys that still load the add-in.

And can oyu confirm that you have the toolbar for all new mails and not just for existing ones? How about meeting requests?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:05 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback

No I have not tried to run with the /cleanviews switch, but this won't work. We work with a published desktop environment and to remove the add-in is necessary without a change on the published desktop.

By time I will check out if there any other registry keys are loaded for the add-in.
    Yes, I can confirm the toolbar is for all new and existing mails. If I'm not completely wrong, the toolbar is not visible in a meeting request, but I have to check it with the business.

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:21 AM
  • I was able to check the registry keys and the toolbar in meeting request. The toolbar is only visible in recieved and sent e-mails. There are also no loaded registry keys. I found out the toolbar is stored in a file called "outcmd.dat" and therefore its not possible to remove an existing toolbar via gpo / registry.

Any ideas?

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:05 PM