none
Receiving large emails RRS feed

• Question

• We are running Exchange 2010 (version 10/01.0218.013).  A user wants to be able to receive emails up to 20MB in size.  On the Exchange server, I went to Organization Configuration > Hub Transport > Global Settings > Transport Settings and set the Max Send and Receive to 20MB.  I am able to send out a 20MB email but when I try to receive a 20MB email from outside our domain, it gets kicked back.  I can send the same 20MB file from one internal email address to another though.  I went to the user's email setting and set their max send and receive to 20MB as well.  Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Demon728 Duke Field

Monday, February 11, 2013 6:11 PM

Answers

• at first set the limit up to 25MB!

go to the shell: get-sendconnector -Identity 'your-sendconnector-name' | fl

check the MaxMessageSize entry ... do this also with the receive-connector

and also with the usermailbox (get-mailbox -Identity 'username' | fl) & see what's in those lines:

MaxSendSize
    MaxReceiveSize

Monday, February 11, 2013 6:56 PM
  • If you can send the message (->send connector) but cannot recieve (->receive connector), I would check max size settings on the receive connector.

Also, you really do want to increase the max size above the actual size of the file since the formating of the file for transport by email can add overhead.

So 25 MB for files of 20 MB is not a bad idea.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:03 PM

All replies

• at first set the limit up to 25MB!

go to the shell: get-sendconnector -Identity 'your-sendconnector-name' | fl

check the MaxMessageSize entry ... do this also with the receive-connector

and also with the usermailbox (get-mailbox -Identity 'username' | fl) & see what's in those lines:

MaxSendSize
    MaxReceiveSize

Monday, February 11, 2013 6:56 PM
  • Hello,

Any update? if the issue is resolved, please mark it accordingly

I'd also suggest you refer to Microsoft article below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124345(v=exchg.141).aspx

Hope it is helpful.

Fiona Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:30 PM
  • If you can send the message (->send connector) but cannot recieve (->receive connector), I would check max size settings on the receive connector.

Also, you really do want to increase the max size above the actual size of the file since the formating of the file for transport by email can add overhead.

So 25 MB for files of 20 MB is not a bad idea.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Friday, February 15, 2013 4:03 PM
  • I assume the issue is resolved. If the issue reoccurs, please feel free to let us know.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Fiona Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:18 AM