none
Can I install Office 2010 and Office 2003 Side by Side?

Question

• Is it possible to install Office 2010 and Office 2003 side by side on Windows Server 2003?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Terry

twahl
    Wednesday, November 03, 2010 7:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In order to allow installing of both Office 2010 and Office 2003 side by side together and exist in parallel, Office 2010 has to be installed different directory or folder, so that existing Office 2003 program files don’t get overwritten. Use the following trick to install Office 2010 in addition to Office 2003 so that both applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, OneNote, SharePoint and etc can be run simultaneously and concurrently.

1. Run Office 2010 installation wizard. Select Customize when prompted to choose the preferred type of Office 2010 installation of either “Upgrade” or “Customize”.
    2. Click Browse and select another installation folder path for Office 2010 which is not the same with existing Office installation path. For example, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2010\.
    3. The setup will install Office 2010 and retain Office 2003 and any other older versions of Office apps.

Tip: Once Office 2010 is installed, the default program for Office documents, spreadsheets, presentations and other files will be defaulted to Office 2010, but it can be changed manually in Control Panel. A simpler way is to re-run Office 2003 Setup.exe setup wizard, and allow it to repair Office 2003 installation.

Note that although both Office 2010 and Office 2003 can co-exist, Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2010 apparently not. Only one version of Outlook can be installed at any time. Thus, Outlook 2003 will be uninstalled and leaving only Outlook 2010.

End-user who wishes to install Office 2010 without uninstalling Office 2003 can also download the following config.MSP Windows Installer Patch setup customization file which already been configured to keep and retail old Office components and applications.

Download config.MSP for installing Office 2010 without uninstalling or removing Office 2003.

To use the config.MSP to install Office 2010 and keep Office 2003 side by side, copy the downloaded config.MSP to the folder that contains Setup.exe and other installation files for Office 2010, and the run the following command in that folder in an elevated command prompt window (or in Start Search or Run command box).

SETUP /adminfile config.msp

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:21 AM
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to allow installing of both Office 2010 and Office 2003 side by side together and exist in parallel, Office 2010 has to be installed different directory or folder, so that existing Office 2003 program files don’t get overwritten. Use the following trick to install Office 2010 in addition to Office 2003 so that both applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, OneNote, SharePoint and etc can be run simultaneously and concurrently.

1. Run Office 2010 installation wizard. Select Customize when prompted to choose the preferred type of Office 2010 installation of either “Upgrade” or “Customize”.
    2. Click Browse and select another installation folder path for Office 2010 which is not the same with existing Office installation path. For example, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2010\.
    3. The setup will install Office 2010 and retain Office 2003 and any other older versions of Office apps.

Tip: Once Office 2010 is installed, the default program for Office documents, spreadsheets, presentations and other files will be defaulted to Office 2010, but it can be changed manually in Control Panel. A simpler way is to re-run Office 2003 Setup.exe setup wizard, and allow it to repair Office 2003 installation.

Note that although both Office 2010 and Office 2003 can co-exist, Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2010 apparently not. Only one version of Outlook can be installed at any time. Thus, Outlook 2003 will be uninstalled and leaving only Outlook 2010.

End-user who wishes to install Office 2010 without uninstalling Office 2003 can also download the following config.MSP Windows Installer Patch setup customization file which already been configured to keep and retail old Office components and applications.

Download config.MSP for installing Office 2010 without uninstalling or removing Office 2003.

To use the config.MSP to install Office 2010 and keep Office 2003 side by side, copy the downloaded config.MSP to the folder that contains Setup.exe and other installation files for Office 2010, and the run the following command in that folder in an elevated command prompt window (or in Start Search or Run command box).

SETUP /adminfile config.msp

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:21 AM
    Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:53 AM
  • Can we do this the opposite way?

Monday, August 08, 2011 6:50 PM
  • Could someone please explain this bit:

<<SETUP /adminfile config.msp>>

How would I do this if I am trying to install from a USB drive or any other drive? I don't know what the full file path would be and I don't understand how to do this.

Can I use the trial version product key on a previous download of Office 2010 (i.e. last month's) or is each download linked to a specific product key?

I tried this the first time but it messed up and I had to go back to a restore point on Windows 7. I already had Office 2003 on my pc before trying to install 2010.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 4:07 PM
  • @meridius10 - if you copy the Office source fileset from DVD onto USB, this will give you the ability to add files into the fileset.
    if you place a customisation MSP file, then you can specify setup should use that customisation file as per Jennifer's example.

alternately, if you perform the installation manually, ensure you choose "customise" when asked by the setup wizard, and choose "retain earlier versions"

Don
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:28 PM
  • @kevluvsmich - installing an office2003 product afte installing office2007, has given me lots of pain. (conflicting office setup engine & dll's).
    i would expect office2010 might well have the same problem. i have accepted that installing an older office product *after* a newer office product is to be avoided, especially when trying to do that in a silent/unattended/scripted way.
    you may have more luck than I did, but after several thousand failures, I found it easier to avoid "old after new"...
    Don
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 10:33 PM
  • I have an Office 2010 Trial. The normal application in it is called X17-22376. Then I downloaded the config as Jennifer said, which is a Windows Installer Patch (.MSP). So both are in my USB drive.

The problem is that I didn't understand this part:

<<SETUP /adminfile config.msp>>

In my previous set up I did choose customise to retain earlier versions, but then it completely messed everything up. I got error messages which I can't remember, so I want to get it right this time. I hope it didn't mess up because I used the download I did a few weeks ago and now a different product key (but it accepted it so that shouldn't be the reason).

Sunday, August 21, 2011 11:39 PM
  • I am trying to install Office 2010 64-bit side-by-side Office 2003 32-bit on Windows 7 64-bit. I tried following the instructions here, but Office 2010 64-bit tells that I have to uninstall the 32-bit version of Office 2003. Any solutions?

• Edited by Exiguus Sunday, May 06, 2012 2:19 PM
    Sunday, May 06, 2012 2:19 PM
  • I am trying to install Office 2010 64-bit side-by-side Office 2003 32-bit on Windows 7 64-bit. I tried following the instructions here, but Office 2010 64-bit tells that I have to uninstall the 32-bit version of Office 2003. Any solutions?

@Exiguus - the only way you can achieve 2003/2010 side-by-side is for both Office versions to be 32bit.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/office2010/archive/2010/02/23/understanding-64-bit-office.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

One other option would be to install XPmode and install Office2003 into the XPmode machine.
    Other options such as RDS/TS or Citrix etc require infrastructure servers, which is of value if you have many users.

Don

Sunday, May 06, 2012 9:45 PM
  • I cannot download the config.MSP file to run both Office 2003 and Office 2010. Even when I uninstall Office 2003, I still cannot get a successful installation of Office 2010. The system comes back and asks me to install Outlook 2010. Your help is appreciated.
    Monday, January 14, 2013 10:44 AM
  • I've tried exactly this but when I open Word 2010 it reinstalls/reconifgures exactly as it did before, and Word 2003 does the same when I try that again afterwards. Office 2010 Pro was installed into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2010\.

Previously I had both installed - full packages but no Outlook 2003. I uninstalled 2010 and reinstalled to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2010\ as advised above

All other packages behave - its only Word that forces reconfiguration/reinstallation.

The config.msp appears to be no longer available.

Thursday, November 07, 2013 2:51 PM