none
Product Key Card

General discussion

• I purchased a new HP on 10/1/10.  I bought the Office Home and Student 2010 Product Key Card.  On 10/21/10, I purchased a laptop.  It is my understanding that the key card will only work on 1 computer.  What can I do to get office on my laptop?
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 9:58 PM

All replies

• I purchased a new HP on 10/1/10.  I bought the Office Home and Student 2010 Product Key Card.  On 10/21/10, I purchased a laptop.  It is my understanding that the key card will only work on 1 computer.  What can I do to get office on my laptop?

You are correct in that you can only install Office Product Key Card (PKC) version onto one computer and is not transferrable to another computer once it has been activated.  This license is similar to the OEM licenses as the license dies with the first computer it is installed and activated onto.

To have Office Home and Student (H & S) on both the 10-1-10 and the 10-21-10 (two) computers you will need to purchase another license.  As the difference in price between the PKC and retail H & S versions is very small I would strongly recommend that you purchase the retail H & S version.  That way if either computer dies or is replaced in the future, you won't lose the ability to install onto the new computers.  Retail H & S is licensed for up to three computers within the household for non-commercial, non-charitable use.

Currently Amazon.com (never purchase software from the marketplace only Amazon.com) has H & S retail at $114.99 with free shipping and the PKC version at $105.99.  Even the downloadable retail for H & S is $149.99 from Microsoft Marketplace.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 1:14 PM
  • On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:58:56 +0000, n1angel18 wrote:

> I purchased a new HP on 10/1/10. I bought the Office Home and Student 2010 Product Key Card. On
    > 10/21/10, I purchased a laptop. It is my understanding that the key card will only work on 1 computer. What
    > can I do to get office on my laptop?

In addition to LVTravels advice - that is EXACTLY why I wrote this blog:

Microsoft Office 2010 – Full Packaged Product or Product Key Card
    http://profileexchanges.com/blog/?p=376

Pricing is VERY close when you compare Microsoft Office Home and Student
    2010 – Traditional Disc Version and Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010
    – Product Key Card - so it makes more sense for most to buy the Microsoft
    Office Home and Student 2010 – Traditional Disc Version to have transfer
    rights, more copies to use, etc.

David

--
    From David Troxell - Encourager Software
    Email - mailto:office2010_Remove_@_Me_encouragersoftware.com
    http://www.encouragersoftware.com/profile/microsoft-office-2010.html

From David Troxell - Encourager Software Email - mailto:office2010_Remove_@_Me_encouragersoftware.com http://www.encouragersoftware.com/profile/microsoft-office-2010.html
    Monday, October 25, 2010 7:18 PM