none
Sharepoint upload permission RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a custom permission level in order to give users a "upload only" permission. This permission enables user to upload documents, but not edit ore delete. The permission level consists of Add Items, View Items, View Pages and Open. 

It seems to work, however: 

1) Whenever a user upload a document, they get the message "Acces denied...", however once the message is deleted the document is uploaded.

2) When a person with permissions to edit the uploaded document tries to open it, the message "we are sorry,.." pops up. Word webb app cant open the document, it is somehow damaged.

3) By trouble shooting i found out that if add "Edit items" to the permission level, none of these errors happens. But this doesnt really solve my problem. 

Does anybody know how to create a proper "upload only" permission?

Thursday, January 30, 2014 7:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Filtenborg,

When we click OK to upload the document to library, it will automatically pop up a dialog page to fill the fileds value which is the Editform.aspx, so I think the "Access denied..." is caused by that your "upload only" permission user doesn't have permissin to access "Editform.aspx" page.

Have you tried to access library as "Explorer view", then drag and drop the documents to the library folder instead?

Or you can give user edit permission, then use workflow or code to remove the "Created by" edit permission on item level permission after uploaded the docuemnt.

https://www.nothingbutsharepoint.com/sites/eusp/Pages/SharePoint-2010-Use-a-Workflow-to-Remove-or-Change-Document-Permissions.aspx

For your 2) issue, I think if a person doesn't have edit permission, he should not see the edit button.

Thanks

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 31, 2014 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Filtenborg,

When we click OK to upload the document to library, it will automatically pop up a dialog page to fill the fileds value which is the Editform.aspx, so I think the "Access denied..." is caused by that your "upload only" permission user doesn't have permissin to access "Editform.aspx" page.

Have you tried to access library as "Explorer view", then drag and drop the documents to the library folder instead?

Or you can give user edit permission, then use workflow or code to remove the "Created by" edit permission on item level permission after uploaded the docuemnt.

https://www.nothingbutsharepoint.com/sites/eusp/Pages/SharePoint-2010-Use-a-Workflow-to-Remove-or-Change-Document-Permissions.aspx

For your 2) issue, I think if a person doesn't have edit permission, he should not see the edit button.

Thanks

Daniel Yang

Friday, January 31, 2014 3:43 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

I think your right! using Drag n drop ore explorer view, the users doesnt get the "Access denied.."

Wich permission should i add the "Upload only" to give permission to the "editform.aspx" page? 

Thanks

Saturday, February 8, 2014 11:41 AM
  • Hi Fitenborg,

I copy the "Edit" permission level to create a custom permission level, and un-check the box "Edit Items" and "Delete Item" (make sure the "View Application pages" is selected), then grant this permission level to a user for a test, this user could upload the document to the library without popping up the editform.aspx page, you can test this again.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263239.aspx#section2

Thanks

Daniel Yang

Monday, February 10, 2014 4:48 AM