none
Windows 10 1709 + Office Standard 2016 Issues saving

Question

• Guys having major issues currently with windows 10 1709 and office 2016.

Users are having problems saving documents to their desktops / network locations or anywhere for that matter. Only started happening around 2 days ago.

Anyone else had any similar issues, seems to be a problem popping up quite frequently today. I have already completely flattened the OS and rebuild fresh, same issue.

offCAT also run to update and diagnose, nothing found. Really causing a pain as we have around 850 users in the company and i am thinking they will all soon be running into the problem once the update is pulled down. Thanks Microsoft....

Thursday, November 09, 2017 1:13 PM

All replies

• Guys having major issues currently with windows 10 1709 and office 2016.

Users are having problems saving documents to their desktops / network locations or anywhere for that matter. Only started happening around 2 days ago.

Anyone else had any similar issues, seems to be a problem popping up quite frequently today. I have already completely flattened the OS and rebuild fresh, same issue.

Hi,

Could you please provide more information about the problems when saving? Is there any error description when saving? Does the issue happen when saving every Office 2016 files, including new blank document?

I am using the same Windows 10 version 1709 and Office 365 ProPlus version 1709. There is no issue currently. Please also collect your detailed Office 2016 version number: Open Word 2016, go to File > Account > About Word to collect it. Try to click Save and Save As respectively to confirm if the issue can be reproduced for both button.

Additionally, check if there is any changes recent 2 days. Have you deployed any new programs in your environment or add-ins pushed? Which updates were installed? 

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 10, 2017 8:56 AM
  • Hello.

Same problem here!

I have the problem on all the clients with MS Windows 10 1709 (Fall Creators Update): when I open an .xlsx or .docx with MS Excel 2016 and MS Word 2016 (latest patch release 8625.2121) and I save the files, the two programs crash immediately with the message "Microsoft Word/Excel has stopped working". The files are not saved and .tmp files appear in the shared folder (one .tmp for every saving attempt).

Thank you.

Best regards.
    Alessandro

Saturday, November 11, 2017 10:59 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for late reply. The error users get is either "Document not saved" or "Permissions to path %userprofile%\Desktop, access is denied".

This occurs both with local admins and domain admins regardless of who in on the machine. I've noticed it has also started appearing when modifying signatures in outlook. I've got a call tomorrow with Microsoft's technical support, so i will see what they can find tier 1 couldn't resolve so i will post any information regarding any progress.

The only thing that changed in the environment was windows updates. however i can't find the necessary ones to uninstall to test or in some cases can't uninstall at all

Cheers

Ben

Monday, November 13, 2017 1:20 PM
  • Same error as Ben. The error users get is either "Document not saved" or "Permissions to path %userprofile%\Desktop, access is denied". We are running windows 10 1709 and office 2016 with profile folder redirection. It is only affecting saving to network locations. Has anyone figured out a resolution to this issue.
    Monday, November 13, 2017 1:46 PM
  • Hi Dean, me too: I have problems only saving on network shares. If I can ask, what is the brand of your NAS? Regards, Alessandro
    Monday, November 13, 2017 5:02 PM
  • Quick update, the fix for us was to remove our kaspersky endpoint protection. We believe it is an issue between windows 10 1709, office 2016 and kaspersky. Once kaspersky is removed Office files can be saved again, no errors.

Hope this helps.

Love,

OTC-Dean

Monday, November 13, 2017 6:01 PM
  • OTC-Dean,

Thanks for the update, Kaspersky definitely threw me off. I disbaled all components and also policy and still could get documents to save.

Upon reading your discovery I've done some testing and find that only once the file level encryption component is uninstalled the problem goes away.

Hope you guys can have similar results! 

On another note, you can ask Kaspersky for a patch which they say will mitigate this issue, didn't work for me unfortunately, but file level encryption did

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 1:58 PM
  • We have been having this issue for the last 2 weeks with the few PCs we have that are Windows 10.  We do run Kaspersky also.  Has anyone gotten a fix from Kaspersky that works?  This has brought our transition to Windows 10 to a screeching halt
    Tuesday, November 14, 2017 5:39 PM