none
Search External File Shares RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to index and search external file shares. When doing so we happened upon a few issues:

1. Office Online Server (OWAP) cannot preview and/or open the files. When clicking on the file within the search results in the browser, it downloads the file instead of opening it in the original location. Of course this would cause confusion with users who would end up editing the wrong file
    2. When viewing the results within Chrome, you cannot even download the file, since chrome (apparently) blocks access to the path file://.

Has anyone actually got this working? How do you use it?

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Reuvy,

It’s by default that the office online cannot preview or open file which crawl from file share, it only provides an excellent preview of documents that is located within SharePoint. And there is no OOB way to preview contents residing on file shares.

Per my test, when I open the document from file share, the IE will prompt for Open or Save as below, you can click Open to open the file with office client.

If there is no prompt, you can check if there is Office application installed.

Besides, Chrome doesn't open "file://" links from pages that this is a design decision made by the browser to improve security. For workaround, you can check the similar post: File Share search results not opening in Chrome or Firefox

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, September 5, 2019 10:20 AM
  • Hi Grace. I must admit then that this integration is utterly pointless. Uses will just download files, edit them locally, and think they saved them in the file share.

We wondered if there was a way to "hack" the javascript, since when inserting a \\share\file.docx path into the test page of my office online server it was able to successfully preview the files.

Thursday, September 5, 2019 11:01 AM