none
Error 814 - The underlying Ethernet connectivity required for the broadband connection was not found. help!

Question

• Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I could not find anything in the forums that directly solved my issue (or that I could completely understand) so here I go:

Without doing anything unusual (other than maybe a windows update that I have regularly scheduled), I received the following error message when I tried to connect ot my high speed internet:

'Error 814
    The underlying Ethernet connectivity required for the broadband connection was not found. Please install and enable the Ethernet adapter on your computer via the Network Connections folder before attempting this connection. '

My ISP went through it thoroughly with me and indicated that it is either hardware related (network card is blown), or the network adaptor/ card need to be reinstalled, or the drivers need to be updated.

My warranty for my PC said they'd cover it if it was hardware related, but from what I described to them, they believe it to be software, and suggested I do a full recovery, or reset my network stack.  They'd do it for a fee, but would not describe the network stack reset to me over the phone.

I'm moderately saavy, so I know I could get through a forum and see what I could find, or seek help this way and probably follow along.

a) I do not want to pay a fee from soemthing I already paid in a warranty;
    b) I am hesitant on doing a full recovery for obvious lenghty reasons, but will if I know this is a safe, sure-fire method;
    c) I do not know how to do a network stack reset;
    d) I am looking to see what my other options are, or find out if these are in fact my only options. I have a feeling this is something easily fixed.

A little more history:

-Running Windows Vista Home Premium

-I keep my PC pretty tidy and am up to date with virus defs, spyware removal, etc.

-in Device manager, under Network Adaptors, I had 4 total entries (3 of which were the same and had an exclamation point on them) and a 4th that did not have an exclamation point on it, and was different than the other 3.  I uninstalled 2 of the 3 identical ones via right click > uninstall, and the 3rd one just could not be removed.  This was in an attempt to reinstall them.

-My connection was working fine one night, one minute, then when I tried to reconnect a minute later, I received the error.  There were no updates, installations, downlaods, etc during this lull between disconnecting and reconnecting.

-I cannot update the drivers, run a utility of some sort, etc because I cannot access the internet.

I hope this is enough (relavant) information.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my experience, some similar problems are caused by NIC driver corrupt or missing. Please reinstall the driver for your network adapter. The driver could be on the disks that came with your system.

If you do not have the NIC driver on disk, please refer to the following suggestions to troubleshoot this issue.

Suggestions 1: Restore Drivers to Previous Version

==========================

1.Click to open Device Manager.

2.If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Allow.

3.Double-click the category containing your device driver, and then double-click the name of the device you want to restore to a previous driver version.

4.Click the Driver tab, and then click Roll Back Driver.

Note: If there's no previous version of the driver software installed for the selected device, the Roll Back Driver button will be unavailable.

If the issue still persists, please go to suggestion 2.

Suggestion 2: System Restore

Note: If you have some important documents or files which were created after the restore point, please copy them to My Documents. By doing this, even if you back the system up to the initial status, the documents will be saved in My Documents.

To restore your system to a previous state, we can use the following steps:

1. Before you start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2. Click "Start"; click "Programs or All Programs"; click "Accessories"; click "System Tools"; and click "System Restore". The System Restore user interface should appear.

3. Select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click "Next".

4. From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point when your system was working correctly and click "Next".

5. Click "Next" again. The restore process will run and your system will restart automatically.

6. After restarting, check whether your system functions correctly now. If not, you can undo your last restoration or select another restore point in the System Restore user interface.

For more information:

What is System Restore?

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

Hope it helps.

Friday, July 25, 2008 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my experience, some similar problems are caused by NIC driver corrupt or missing. Please reinstall the driver for your network adapter. The driver could be on the disks that came with your system.

If you do not have the NIC driver on disk, please refer to the following suggestions to troubleshoot this issue.

Suggestions 1: Restore Drivers to Previous Version

1.Click to open Device Manager.

2.If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Allow.

3.Double-click the category containing your device driver, and then double-click the name of the device you want to restore to a previous driver version.

4.Click the Driver tab, and then click Roll Back Driver.

Note: If there's no previous version of the driver software installed for the selected device, the Roll Back Driver button will be unavailable.

If the issue still persists, please go to suggestion 2.

Suggestion 2: System Restore

Note: If you have some important documents or files which were created after the restore point, please copy them to My Documents. By doing this, even if you back the system up to the initial status, the documents will be saved in My Documents.

To restore your system to a previous state, we can use the following steps:

1. Before you start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2. Click "Start"; click "Programs or All Programs"; click "Accessories"; click "System Tools"; and click "System Restore". The System Restore user interface should appear.

3. Select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click "Next".

4. From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point when your system was working correctly and click "Next".

5. Click "Next" again. The restore process will run and your system will restart automatically.

6. After restarting, check whether your system functions correctly now. If not, you can undo your last restoration or select another restore point in the System Restore user interface.

For more information:

What is System Restore?

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/9f6d755a-74bb-4a7d-a625-d762dd8e79e51033.mspx

Hope it helps.

Friday, July 25, 2008 3:17 AM
  • you could check the cable in between the modem and the Ethernet card, it could be.

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 1:23 PM
  • your problem - the error 814 - their's a problem with the network card, in other words, there's no connectivity between the modem and the network card..

either the ethernet driver or the cable, btw i used to work as a technical support with an ISP, i got once such a case, the problem was with the cable!! after 30 mins of troublshooting :S

since then the first think i'd check always in any case THE PHYSICAL LAYER

hope it'll solve it

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 1:27 PM
  • I have the same problem. My cable is good. I am a student and I installed windows server 2008 for practice on a computer and now I can't connect. It says the same error. 814. I don't think my network adapters are installed. Can you help me with that. It's on a hp pavilion ze4610us
    Friday, November 01, 2013 9:47 PM