none
Microsoft Office Professional 2010 encountered an error during setup. Error 1935.

Question

• I've already reviewed these two answers -- Help with Office 2010 Beta installation Error and MS Office 2010 Public Beta - Setup encountered an error, but still have no solution. 

Repro -- i have no apps running, i turned of my virus program, yet i still get this error message when attempting to install/upgrade from office 2007 to office 2010:

Microsoft Office Professional 2010 encountered an error during setup. Error 1935.   An error occurred during the Installation of assembly component {89EDD3A9-944B-3257-8484-D6EB6AOODDF5}. HRESULT: 0x80070002.

i get a similar error message when trying to install other Microsoft apps, like expression web 3 or MS Project 2010.  All fail.  But only Microsoft installations -- any other brand of any other program installs fine. 

oh, and it's a windows 7 environment.

Suggestions? 

regular dude
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue may occur when the Microsoft .NET Framework installation on the computer is damaged or is missing.

For you reference, this is the KB article:

Error message when you try to install a 2007 Office program: "Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly component"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926804

I understand that you are using Windows 7. For Windows 7, .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1 is shipped with it as one of OS component, and it is not listed in Program and Features, so we are unable to follow the steps in the KB article above to repair .NET.

I suggest trying the following methods to repair .NET on Windows 7:

Method 1: Check system files

===============

I suggest using the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to scan for system files:

1.  Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. 

2.  Type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc  /scannow

Note: The sfc  /scannow command scans all system files and will recover the corrupted ones. 

Method 2: Repair .NET by commands

===============

1.       Click Start > Search, type command Prompt and locate Command Prompt. Right click it and choose Run as administrator.

2.       Type or copy the following command and press Enter: %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe update

Method 3: Repair Windows 7

===============

I would like to explain that the In-place Upgrade is a tool to repair the system. Through the special upgrade process, we will be able to repair the system. The In-place Upgrade will not affect settings like photos, movies, documents, etc. that are saved on the computer.  However, it is recommended to first backup your important information and files to other partitions or other disks. Then please perform the following steps:

Turn off Windows features before performing an In-place Upgrade

-----------------

1. Click Start, and click Control Panel.

2. Click Classic View on the left pane, and double click Program and Features.

3. Click "Turn Windows features on or off on the left" pane.

4. In the Windows Features dialog box, uncheck all of the check boxes, and then click OK. 

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Now, let's perform the following steps to repair the corrupted files:

In-place Upgrade

------------------------

1. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

2. Click Start and choose Computer.

3. Please find the "setup.exe" file in the DVD-ROM and double click it.

4. Click Install now.

5. When we are prompted to input the product key, please click Next without inputting any key. The setup wizard will prompt and ask if you agree to install Windows 7 without the key. Please choose to confirm.

6. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the system files of Windows 7.

Note: While performing the In-place Upgrade, the system will restart automatically (several times) to merge the files and programs. Please leave the computer alone and do not configure it until In-place Upgrade is completed. The system will start Windows 7 once it is upgraded.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Proposed as answer by drdedoverde Friday, July 16, 2010 8:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by rmox Sunday, July 18, 2010 1:00 AM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 8:03 AM

All replies

• I am experiencing the same thing.  I installed .net framework 4 as someone else had suggested, uninstalled AV as well as all existing office apps.  Other options?

Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Hi,

This issue may occur when the Microsoft .NET Framework installation on the computer is damaged or is missing.

For you reference, this is the KB article:

Error message when you try to install a 2007 Office program: "Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly component"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926804

I understand that you are using Windows 7. For Windows 7, .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1 is shipped with it as one of OS component, and it is not listed in Program and Features, so we are unable to follow the steps in the KB article above to repair .NET.

I suggest trying the following methods to repair .NET on Windows 7:

Method 1: Check system files

===============

I suggest using the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to scan for system files:

1.  Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. 

2.  Type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc  /scannow

Note: The sfc  /scannow command scans all system files and will recover the corrupted ones. 

Method 2: Repair .NET by commands

===============

1.       Click Start > Search, type command Prompt and locate Command Prompt. Right click it and choose Run as administrator.

2.       Type or copy the following command and press Enter: %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe update

Method 3: Repair Windows 7

===============

I would like to explain that the In-place Upgrade is a tool to repair the system. Through the special upgrade process, we will be able to repair the system. The In-place Upgrade will not affect settings like photos, movies, documents, etc. that are saved on the computer.  However, it is recommended to first backup your important information and files to other partitions or other disks. Then please perform the following steps:

Turn off Windows features before performing an In-place Upgrade

-----------------

1. Click Start, and click Control Panel.

2. Click Classic View on the left pane, and double click Program and Features.

3. Click "Turn Windows features on or off on the left" pane.

4. In the Windows Features dialog box, uncheck all of the check boxes, and then click OK. 

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Now, let's perform the following steps to repair the corrupted files:

In-place Upgrade

------------------------

1. Insert the Windows 7 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

2. Click Start and choose Computer.

3. Please find the "setup.exe" file in the DVD-ROM and double click it.

4. Click Install now.

5. When we are prompted to input the product key, please click Next without inputting any key. The setup wizard will prompt and ask if you agree to install Windows 7 without the key. Please choose to confirm.

6. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the system files of Windows 7.

Note: While performing the In-place Upgrade, the system will restart automatically (several times) to merge the files and programs. Please leave the computer alone and do not configure it until In-place Upgrade is completed. The system will start Windows 7 once it is upgraded.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Proposed as answer by drdedoverde Friday, July 16, 2010 8:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by rmox Sunday, July 18, 2010 1:00 AM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 8:03 AM
  • Hey rmox, I also had this problem (error 1935) during MS Office 2010 setup. I use Windows 7 32bits.

I have tried many things as: install framework 4.0, unistall anti virus, clean everything from Office 2007, clean the registry, and so on, but nothing worked out.

However, I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION.

In my case I install the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows 7 x86, which can be found here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=32df802d-ba09-4f9e-98d6-397a5acba3c0&displaylang=en

Now it is working perfectly.

I hope that I have helped you.

Good luck

Friday, July 16, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Very helpful Sally.  After trying to get installed for 5 days I achieved success.  It turns out that when I tried to run sfc I got an error, I then searched that error which led me to an issue with the TrustedInstaller service.  It turns out the TrustedInstaller.exe file was missing from the servicing directory - not sure how or why, but some online entries leads me to believe that there are some antivirus utilities that remove the file.  I believe one further caveat may be that if Error 1935 is with HRESULT: 0x8070002 it seems to be related to either AV conflicts or missing TrustedInstaller while HRESULT: 0x8070005 may be directly related to .Net Framework errors.

Thanks again for your spot on assistance!

Friday, July 16, 2010 10:26 PM
  •  

Sally, thanks for your detailed response! -- the answer was behind door number three -- Repair Windows 7.

Your suggestion #1, to use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to scan for system files failed.  Whenever I followed your guidance to running sfc  /scannow , I got the message "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service."

So I  tried your Method 2: Repair .NET by commands, runninng the string %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe but it too failed, generating this message -  "Failed to load the runtime. <Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131700>"

Then I considered drddeoverde's solution ... But I'm on 64 bit win7, so I figured that .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 may not work for me, especially when I already just installed a higher level of .NET from a recommendation on another thred, which had no effect on my Office install issue.

Next, I jumped down to JJOOOJJ's advice because of the failures above and because I discovered that TrustedInstaller.exe file was missing for me too.  But, JJOOOJJ, you did not instruct on how you got past that problem, except to give praise to Sally's input ... 

So I brought out nuclear option - your solution #3 - Repair Windows 7.  i was not able to perform the steps related to "Turn off Windows features" because they were (and have been for weeks) missing -- that Turn off Windows features window was blank.  So i skipped that step.  It took hours to run the in-place upgrade, so i had plenty of time to wonder and hope ... And then, SCORE! -- Microsoft Office 2010 installed without a hitch.   You made my day, Sally, thanks.  :8^)

regular dude
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 1:04 AM
  • Sorry about that rmox - I was able to find someone else who had run into the error and posted both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of TrustedInstaller.exe online. I downloaded it and after fiddling with the permissions for the servicing directory, I was able to copy the file into the directory.  Rebooted, then the TrustedInstaller service didn't even show in the services window.  I installed Office successfully after that.

Also, for the record, it was Avast antivirus that removed TrustedInstaller. 

Sunday, July 18, 2010 3:56 AM
  • No worries, JJOOOJJ - while that 64 bit version of TrustedInstaller.exe would have been handy, Sally's 3rd option fixed it anyway, and probably a few other issues besides.   Noteworthy: i too use Avast, so this adds credence to your theory that Avast is the culprit.
    regular dude
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 10:21 PM
  • I use Avast, and it appears my Trusted Installer.exe is missing. As a background, i previously succeeded in installing and operating MS OFfice 2010 Home & Business Beta version, but i had to un install it before switching to the official release.

I have error 1935 with  HRESULT: 0x80070002 when i try and complete the installation. Multiple install attempts so far include

1. run as administrator

2. turn off avast and run

3. repair/reinstal .Net Framework 4.0

4. do some regedit work to delete traces of prior MS Office installations

What are my options (without rebuilding the machine) to get MS Office 2010 installed? Is there a tech support service I can use that can help me sort this out? Is there a way of obtaining a trustedinstaller.exe can sort this out?

I very disappointed and confused by all of this. it seems as though this problem has been around for a very long time (judging by office 2007 users) and Microsoft's approach to it doesnt strike me as being as proactive as it could be.

If i can't get this installed, should i just try and get a refund and trade down to open-office (excel on that is just not the same).

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:02 AM
  • And... what if (like most of us) you do not have a Win 7 DVD ? (Most manufacturers simply no longer provide this !)
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:30 AM
  • Yes !
    Or get a Mac :) (ok a classic one... But Office 2011 for Mac, as funny as it can sound, installed in a snap on my Mac. 

I (too) have been struggling with MS products for last 2 years (and *only* MS products !! - Can someone explain that ? Not in technical terms, but in a client-driven approach...  Not exactely... *normal* to have to be a programmer to install a program - not in 2011 !!

Totally unacceptable. 

• Edited by lanstrad Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:36 AM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:33 AM
  • Sorry about that rmox - I was able to find someone else who had run into the error and posted both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of TrustedInstaller.exe online. I downloaded it and after fiddling with the permissions for the servicing directory, I was able to copy the file into the directory.  Rebooted, then the TrustedInstaller service didn't even show in the services window.  I installed Office successfully after that.

Also, for the record, it was Avast antivirus that removed TrustedInstaller. 

Can someone tell us where to take TrustedInstaller.exe and how to install it and where ?

Tks

Rob
    Monday, October 10, 2011 4:37 AM
  • Hi all,

Try the steps mentioned in this Blog.

http://quicksolver.blogspot.in/2012/02/solved-unable-to-install-office-2010-on.html

Thanks.

• Proposed as answer by Spiky83 Sunday, April 22, 2012 6:20 PM
    Saturday, February 25, 2012 11:42 AM
  • Yesterday I faced with same problem... I tried more then 10 methods, but without luck
    Today I found solution... The problem was not in MS office 2010... it was with Visual C++ 2005.
    When I tried to reinstall this pack, I got the same error 1935, but more detailed...

So my method to resolve this problem is:
    1. Try to reinstall Visual C++ 2005
    2. If you cant reinstall it then delete next records from registry:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Winners\x86_policy.8.0.microsoft.vc80 & vc90 entries
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS\DerivedData\Components\x86_policy.8.0.microsoft.vc80 & vc90 entries
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS\WINNER\Components\x86_policy.8.0.microsoft.vc80 & vc90 entries.3. Reboot PC
    4. Try to reinstall Visual C++ 2005 again
    5. If everything ok then install MS Office 2010

P.S. Registry manipulation described by TANKtr0n in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/228f31ca-c6ea-4065-b194-fca208d1af82
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:23 PM