none
Is there a way to make public facing SPO Communication site? RRS feed

• Question

• I know that SPO Public sites are not supported anymore. But I need to find a way to make a SharePoint Online Communication site public i.e I want to enable anonymous access to the site without having the users to sign in to Microsoft Accounts.

Is this possible and what are the restrictions for it?

Please remember to up-vote & mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:53 AM

Answers

• No, it is not possible.

In short, No, the Anonymous access for SharePoint online sites is no longer available since May 2017.

Actually, You can just use external sharing features to share content with users outside your organization but this is not considered anonymous access as we do in SharePoint On-Prem, it just a sharing feature!

Original link

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/251043/share-sharepoint-online-site-for-anonymous-users

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Learn Microsoft 365 from Microsoft DOCs now!
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 5:50 AM
  • Hi HarshalGite,

It’s not supported to share the full site anonymously. We can only share documents and folders with everyone that don’t require sign-in in SharePoint Online.

By default, external sharing is disabled in communication sites, you can enable it in new SharePoint admin center->active sites->select communication site->click “sharing” in the ribbon->select “Anyone”.

Reference: Share SharePoint files or folders

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Proposed as answer by KumarMohiT Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by HarshalGite Sunday, November 24, 2019 8:44 AM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 7:35 AM

All replies

• No, it is not possible.

In short, No, the Anonymous access for SharePoint online sites is no longer available since May 2017.

Actually, You can just use external sharing features to share content with users outside your organization but this is not considered anonymous access as we do in SharePoint On-Prem, it just a sharing feature!

Original link

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/251043/share-sharepoint-online-site-for-anonymous-users

Senior Software Engineer

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 5:50 AM
  • Hi Justin. Thanks for your answer but I know all this. I want to know if there is any other way. I really do not want to approach a third party vendor.

Please remember to up-vote & mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:03 AM
  • Nope, there must be external uses so they can access the site.

Senior Software Engineer

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:29 AM
  • Hi HarshalGite,

It’s not supported to share the full site anonymously. We can only share documents and folders with everyone that don’t require sign-in in SharePoint Online.

By default, external sharing is disabled in communication sites, you can enable it in new SharePoint admin center->active sites->select communication site->click “sharing” in the ribbon->select “Anyone”.

Reference: Share SharePoint files or folders

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Proposed as answer by KumarMohiT Wednesday, November 20, 2019 6:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by HarshalGite Sunday, November 24, 2019 8:44 AM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 7:35 AM
  • Hi HarshalGite,

Is there any update?

If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Thursday, November 21, 2019 6:09 AM
  • As per my understanding and as you already know SharePoint Online Public Websites are discontinued by Microsoft, currently there is no way of using public site in SharePoint Online.

Instead Microsoft is suggesting to get a public website from a third party provider.

Why is Microsoft making this change?

As part of the evolution of the Office 365 service, we periodically evaluate the capabilities of the service to make sure that we’re delivering the utmost value to customers. After careful consideration, we concluded that for public websites, Office 365 customers would be better served by third-party providers whose core competency is public websites. Therefore, we’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue the SharePoint Online Public Website feature so that we can focus our efforts and investments on delivering capabilities in Office 365 that will bring more value to our customers.

Similar Questions:

How to create public facing websites?

Sunday, November 24, 2019 10:52 AM
  • Hi HarshalGite,

Thanks for marking my reply as answer. I’m pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. I hope you are delighted with the service we provided you.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information.

[Is there a way to make public facing SPO Communication site?]

Environment

====================

SharePoint Online

Question

====================

HarshalGite want to know is it possible to enable anonymous access to SharePoint Online Communication site without having the users to sign in to Microsoft Accounts.

Analysis

====================

Based on the reply from Justin, the Anonymous access for SharePoint online sites is no longer available since May 2017. We can only use external sharing features to share content with users outside our organization.

Based on the reply from Grace, it’s not supported to share the full site anonymously. We can only share documents and folders with everyone that don’t require sign-in in SharePoint Online. By default, external sharing is disabled in communication sites, you can enable it in new SharePoint admin center->active sites->select communication site->click “sharing” in the ribbon->select “Anyone”.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 2:26 AM