none
Disable "Windows is checking for a solution..." RRS feed

• Question

• Vista and many applications, including IE7, exist in a fragile relationship wherein the applications crash for many reasons.

Vista has the truly annoying response "Windows is checking for a solution...".

Is there any way to disable this functionality so that the program just crashes?

Given the instability I experience in Vista I am always running task manager so I can kill these processes myself much faster and I find this built-in functionality to be unfunctional.

Your assitance will be much appreciated.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 2:53 PM

All replies

• yes please, someone tell us how to disable that message
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:09 PM
  • Open Start -> All Programs -> Maintenance -> Problem Reports and Solutions.

In the Problem Reports and Solutions window,

Click Change settings -> Advanced settings and

Turn off problem settings

Sunday, January 6, 2008 6:03 AM
  • If you ended up here looking for the same problem in Windows 7:

Click on start, type: Choose how to report problems, change it to Never check for solutions (or whatever setting you would prefer).
    • Proposed as answer by Monty Zooma Monday, January 9, 2012 1:17 PM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 1:07 AM
  • "Never check for solutions" did not solve this problem on my Windows 7, 64 bits OS. Still annoying.
    Friday, April 9, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Apologies for dragging up an old thread but google always seems to find it. I am having the same issue with Windows 7 64bit, the message and interupt still happens even though there is nothing wrong with the program! Is there a service or something I can disable permenantly because this is driving me round the bend!!!
    Thanks, Cep
    Friday, February 18, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Windows 7 - Control Panel | Action Center | Change Action Center Settings (menu item on left) | Problem reporting settings (under Related settings)

There also seems to be a Windows Troubleshooting Maintenance Message that you can turn off on the Change Action Center Settings page

• Proposed as answer by Cynyster Wednesday, June 1, 2011 11:14 AM
    Friday, March 11, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Search comes up empty for me! :-(

The later Control Panel solution works!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:02 PM
  • The solution I came up for Windows 7 is a variation on MrBTLife:

1. Control Panel | Action Center | Maintenance | Check for solutions to problem reports | Settings
    2. Never check for solutions (not recommended)
    3. OK

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:43 PM
  • There's an option to ignore specific programs. That's probably a better strategy than turning off the feature if you find that it's a specific program that is frequently crashing.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Action Center\Problem Reporting Settings -> then click "Select programs to exclude from reporting"

Darryl Gittins

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 4:03 PM
  • Why is turning it off not recommended? I've seen this run hundreds of times, and absolutely never has it actually found a solution.

Also,  this setting does not prevent the  "Windows is checking for a solution..." message from appearing.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 2:34 PM
  • I agree... often the "not recommended" option is by far the best option, as in this case.    Maybe it's "not recommended" because it makes users more efficient, which is something MS doesn't seem to like these days, with the advent of Windows 8+.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:16 PM