none
How do you turn off design mode in excel viewer?

Question

• I have an Excel spreadsheet that was written in Excel 2010.  The spreadsheet contains various activex checkboxes, linked to a cell on another page.  When the user clicks the checkbox an associated cell value is set to TRUE, and when the checkbox is unmarked it sets the associated cell to FALSE.

I have sent this file to an individual that is using Microsoft Office Excel Viewer (12.0.6219.1000) MSO (12.0.6554.5001), and everytime they access the sheet with the activex controls, the sheet opens in design mode and the checkbox cannot be used.

Does anyone know of the steps I need to take to get around this?

Monday, May 23, 2011 8:06 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

Sorry for the delay respond.

And also sorry that this is limited by design:

The Microsoft Excel Viewer allows people who do not have Microsoft Excel to view Excel workbook files.

Microsoft Excel Viewer is a small, freely distributable program that lets you view and print Microsoft Excel 2007, Microsoft Office Excel 2003, Microsoft Excel 2002, Microsoft Excel 2000, Microsoft Excel 97 for Windows and Microsoft Excel 95 for Windows workbook files. In addition, the Excel Viewer can open workbooks created in Microsoft Excel for the Macintosh (versions 2.2 and later).

The Microsoft Excel Viewer can open Microsoft Excel 2010 files but it will not display Excel 2010 specific features.

Quote from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273711

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, June 06, 2011 8:55 AM

All replies

• Hi David,

I'm afraid that you will not be able to active the ActiveX Controls in Excel Viewer. To work around this issue in your case, please directly insert the link to the another page instead of using the ActiveX Control.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:06 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Max.

Unfortunately, inserting the link will not work for me.  I am providing a survey to the user, where they simply check checkboxes.  The checkbox sets a true or false value in a series of cells that I use as the data for a results chart that I show them.

Since I created the spreadsheet in Excel 2010, only those that have Excel 2010 can actually use the survey.  Anyone that has Excel 2003 on their system is getting the same error as the viewer.  Once I realized that Excel 2003 would not work, I published the spreadsheet on my SkyDrive and was hopeful that the Excel version in the cloud would help me out.  Guess what, it didn't work either.  I then was hopeful that the Excel 2010 Viewer would allow me to bridge the gap for those that have not upgraded their systems, but alas... I was an idiot!

Does anyone know why the Excel 2010 Viewer has a limitation that will not allow it to use ActiveX controls?  The online and Viewer limitations are rediculous, at best.

David.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Hi David,

Sorry for the delay respond.

And also sorry that this is limited by design:

The Microsoft Excel Viewer allows people who do not have Microsoft Excel to view Excel workbook files.

Microsoft Excel Viewer is a small, freely distributable program that lets you view and print Microsoft Excel 2007, Microsoft Office Excel 2003, Microsoft Excel 2002, Microsoft Excel 2000, Microsoft Excel 97 for Windows and Microsoft Excel 95 for Windows workbook files. In addition, the Excel Viewer can open workbooks created in Microsoft Excel for the Macintosh (versions 2.2 and later).

The Microsoft Excel Viewer can open Microsoft Excel 2010 files but it will not display Excel 2010 specific features.

Quote from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273711

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Monday, June 06, 2011 8:55 AM