How to re-call message in outlook 2013. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Support,

I am using Outlook 2013 as an POP & IMAP account.

By mistake,i have wrongly send an email to the customers.

I want to know how to recall message in outlook 2013 and what is the tie that we can set in outlook for re-call the message.

I need the steps to configure the re-call in outlook 2013.

Thanks in Advance.

Your immediate response is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Pradeep.R

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:05 PM

Answers

• Hi Pradeep,

>> I am using Outlook 2013 as an POP & IMAP account.

Sorry but I am afraid the message cannot be recalled for POP or IMAP account.

In this situation, it might be better to simply sent a short but sincere apology message rather than trying the recall option which may trigger a weird technical message (XXX would like to recall the message, "mail subject".) in case it increases the recipient's attention to the message you never wanted to sent.

Generally, there are several conditions which must be met for the Recall feature(Message tab > group: Move > Actions > Recall this Message…) to work:

1. Both you and the recipient should be using Exchange accounts and within the same Exchange organization. That is, if you are using a POP3, IMAP or Outlook.com account or when the recipient is working for another company, you are out of luck.
    2. The recipient must also be using Outlook client to manage emails. When a message is being read via OWA or via EAS on a smartphone or tablet, the recall will not work.
    3. The recipient must have an active connection with Exchange. When Cached Exchange Mode is enabled and the recipient is working off-line, the recall process will fail.
    4. The original message must arrive in the Inbox folder of the recipient. When it got moved via a rule, recalling the message is not possible.
    5. The original message must still be unread and the recipient must open the Recall message before the original message.

For more instruction about the recall feature in Outlook 2013, hopefully the article below can be helpful:

Recall or replace an email message that you sent 

Additionally, to prevent such situation from happening again, you may consider using rules to delay the delivery of emails so that you can have some time to recheck the message content before sending:

1. Select the mailbox in the navigation pane.
    2. Go to Home > Rules > Manage Rules & Alerts > New Rule.
    3. Select Apply rule on messages I send, Next, select the conditions if necessary, Next.
    4. Choose defer delivery by a number of minutes, specify the minutes value and click Next, Finish. 

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 3:01 AM

All replies

• Good Morning,

I use Outlook 2013 and here is how I do it:

Open the sent message you would like to recall

On the top Icons, Under Actions, there is an option to Recall this message.

Hope this helps you,

Bob

• Edited by Bob Selff Tuesday, September 19, 2017 4:56 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Bob Selff Tuesday, September 19, 2017 4:56 PM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 4:53 PM
  • Hi Pradeep,

>> I am using Outlook 2013 as an POP & IMAP account.

Sorry but I am afraid the message cannot be recalled for POP or IMAP account.

In this situation, it might be better to simply sent a short but sincere apology message rather than trying the recall option which may trigger a weird technical message (XXX would like to recall the message, "mail subject".) in case it increases the recipient's attention to the message you never wanted to sent.

Generally, there are several conditions which must be met for the Recall feature(Message tab > group: Move > Actions > Recall this Message…) to work:

1. Both you and the recipient should be using Exchange accounts and within the same Exchange organization. That is, if you are using a POP3, IMAP or Outlook.com account or when the recipient is working for another company, you are out of luck.
    2. The recipient must also be using Outlook client to manage emails. When a message is being read via OWA or via EAS on a smartphone or tablet, the recall will not work.
    3. The recipient must have an active connection with Exchange. When Cached Exchange Mode is enabled and the recipient is working off-line, the recall process will fail.
    4. The original message must arrive in the Inbox folder of the recipient. When it got moved via a rule, recalling the message is not possible.
    5. The original message must still be unread and the recipient must open the Recall message before the original message.

For more instruction about the recall feature in Outlook 2013, hopefully the article below can be helpful:

Recall or replace an email message that you sent 

Additionally, to prevent such situation from happening again, you may consider using rules to delay the delivery of emails so that you can have some time to recheck the message content before sending:

1. Select the mailbox in the navigation pane.
    2. Go to Home > Rules > Manage Rules & Alerts > New Rule.
    3. Select Apply rule on messages I send, Next, select the conditions if necessary, Next.
    4. Choose defer delivery by a number of minutes, specify the minutes value and click Next, Finish. 

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 3:01 AM