none
How To get - which Retention Policy Tag is applied to which folder in Outlook? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Exchange Crew,

even if i´ve searched across the board and got suggestions that are "related", i will post it, because i think it´s relevant and unresolved for me.

We enabled Personal Archives after applying SP1 to our Exchange Environment.

The Archives were enabled for the users, with the default and unchanged "Default Archive and Retention Policy" - assumes to cover most of the scenarios.

So now comes the tricky part, this Policy is applied to the users Mailboxes and that ´s it.

Now it´s up to the user to decide which folder he want´s to tag with which Policy Tags.

From my point of view - as the Exchange Admin - i´ve found no way, to get those informations.

So i would like to now, if someone knows the way to get the information like: "1 week Delete is applied to folder Inbox"

I´m pretty sure this will happen in the future, and i want to be aware of it.

Perfekt would be a suggestion approach to get this information directly from the Exchange Servers as an backup solution, also the way to get this information from outlook would be needed.

If my concern, isn´t clear - please reply and i´ll try to clarify. Already saying: THX for your replys!

BR,

Markus

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi KalmMark,

You can use the Get-Mailbox cmdlet to get the information about policy which are applied to the current mailbox, after that you can view these policy in the EMC and define them configurations, for examples:

1. Get-Mailbox -id mailbox | fl *policy*

2. Get-Mailbox -Database DB | where {$_.RetentionPolicy -eq "PolicyName" - and $_.ManagedFolderMailboxPolicy -eq   "PolicyName"} | ft Alias,RetentionPolicy,ManagedFolderMailboxPolicy

Best regards,

Andrey

Andrey Podlesnykh | MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCSA

Monday, February 13, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Hi Andrey,

Thx for your Reply!

i´m afraid you´ve missunderstood my post. I know how to identify which RetentionPolicy is assigned to which Outlook folder.

my main issue is, How To know what RetentionTags are set by the user on their Folders. Example:

Inbox - use parent folder Policy (default: move to archive after 2 years)

SubFolder1 - 1 week delete (changed manually)

SubFolder2 - 1 month delete (changed manually)

Since the user is able to set such tags by his own - and he forget about this changes - those mails stored in SubFolder 1/2 will be moved to deleted items after 1 week / 1 month and after additional 14 days they´re gone.

Your suggestion is giving me an overview about all users within the DB and the default RetentionPolicy.

BR,

Markus

• Proposed as answer by MKahlo Monday, June 13, 2016 10:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by MKahlo Monday, June 13, 2016 10:24 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Hi Markus,

If you want to know what retention Tags are set by the user on their folders, you may need write one script to do that:

Here is a related thread for you, hope can give you some help:

Stamping Retention Policy Tag using EWS Managed API 1.1 from PowerShell(Exchange 2010)
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/akashb/archive/2011/08/11/stamping-retention-policy-tag-using-ews-managed-api-1-1-from-powershell-exchange-2010.aspx

If you have any question about how to write the script, you can ask in this forum:

Exchange Development Forum
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-au/exchangesvrdevelopment/threads

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by KalmMark Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:42 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Hi Evan,

thank you for the reply and the great link.

Even if i´m not familiar with the EWS Managed API, i will try to get some grip on this issue.

Since there were no other replys till now, and your suggestion looks very promising, i´ll mark your reply as answer.

Thx again

Br,

Markus

• Proposed as answer by MKahlo Monday, June 13, 2016 10:21 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:42 PM
  • Hi Andrey,

Thx for your Reply!

i´m afraid you´ve missunderstood my post. I know how to identify which RetentionPolicy is assigned to which Outlook folder.

my main issue is, How To know what RetentionTags are set by the user on their Folders. Example:

Inbox - use parent folder Policy (default: move to archive after 2 years)

SubFolder1 - 1 week delete (changed manually)

SubFolder2 - 1 month delete (changed manually)

Since the user is able to set such tags by his own - and he forget about this changes - those mails stored in SubFolder 1/2 will be moved to deleted items after 1 week / 1 month and after additional 14 days they´re gone.

Your suggestion is giving me an overview about all users within the DB and the default RetentionPolicy.

BR,

Markus

Hi Markus, you can find out the folder which stamped with a Retention via Powershell Command:
    Get-MailboxFolderStatistics USERID| where {$_.DeletePolicy} | ft folderpath, DeletePolicy

Monday, June 13, 2016 10:30 AM
  • At least for Exchange Online/365, for people getting this page in search results much later like I did, in addition to MKahlo's reply you probably want to look at ArchivePolicy too:

Get-MailboxFolderStatistics USERID| where {$_.ArchivePolicy} | ft folderpath, ArchivePolicy

or check where either one is changed:

Get-MailboxFolderStatistics USERID | where {$_.ArchivePolicy -OR $_.DeletePolicy} | ft folderpath, ArchivePolicy, DeletePolicy

or look at both while looking at all folders:

Get-MailboxFolderStatistics  -Identity USERID | Select Name,FolderPath,ArchivePolicy,DeletePolicy | ft *  > userfolders.txt

In the last command, blank on either ArchivePolicy or DeletePolicy indicates that folder is set to inherit from it's parent AND that all it's parents are set to inherit and the top level has the default policy.

(At least on 365.  When I change my mailbox, top node to something non-default like 'Archive after 5 years' all folders below it that are set to inherit (and don't have something different explicitly set or a parent in between set to something) these commands list the inherited 'archive after 5 years' (not blank). 

So it doesn't necessarily tell you those folders are set to something but they or something above them are.

So work your way down the tree(s) from the top.

Friday, August 9, 2019 12:39 PM