none
Migrate to Windows Server 2016 Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• My current server is over 6 years old running Server 2012 Essentials.  I am planning to purchase a new server and install Server 2016 Essentials.  I intend to migrate the the 2012 server to the 2016 server.  Is it true that this migration must be completed in 21 days or the source server will shut down?  What is the process to re-purpose the 2012 server for use on the network?  Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:40 PM

Answers

• Both Essentials require to be the sole owner of the FSMO role. So, yes it must be completed within 21 days. It will start to complain after 21 days and sometimes shuts down.

You cannot use the 2012 Essentials license for anything else then the Essentials Experience role. This means that in your network where the new 2016 Essentials server is installed you cannot use the 2012 anymore, not even as a ordinary member server. If you need another member server you need to purchase a new license for that.

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by C. R. Lowe Monday, July 15, 2019 12:19 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:53 PM
  • HI
    1 Is it true that this migration must be completed in 21 days or the source server will shut down?
    yes. "On the 22nd day of continued non-compliance, the software will cause the server to shut down. You may re-start the software immediately after it shuts down.
    Until the configuration is corrected, the software can be run for 21 calendar days before another shutdown occurs. During this 21-day period, you will be able to make the necessary corrections to your configuration to become compliant with these license terms.
    Once you have corrected your configuration, the warnings and automatic shutdowns will cease."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/UseTerms/Retail/WindowsServer2016/Essentials/UseTerms_Retail_WindowsServer2016_Essentials_English.htm

2 What is the process to re-purpose the 2012 server for use on the network?
    It's not secure to re-use windows server 2012 essentials, especially
     expose it to internet. because windows server 2012 essentials Mainstream Support End Date 10/9/2018.if you still want to use windows server 2012 essentials ,i think after your migration from wse2012 to wse2016 ,you need to clean install wse2012 in independent local network. Make sure your wse2012 and wse2016 working in the different network.

Search product lifecycle
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/1163

Migrate from Previous Versions to Windows Server Essentials
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/migrate/migrate-from-previous-versions-to-windows-server-essentials-or-windows-server-essentials-experience

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 8:41 AM

All replies

• Both Essentials require to be the sole owner of the FSMO role. So, yes it must be completed within 21 days. It will start to complain after 21 days and sometimes shuts down.

You cannot use the 2012 Essentials license for anything else then the Essentials Experience role. This means that in your network where the new 2016 Essentials server is installed you cannot use the 2012 anymore, not even as a ordinary member server. If you need another member server you need to purchase a new license for that.

Mariëtte Knap [alumna Microsoft SBS MVP]
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by C. R. Lowe Monday, July 15, 2019 12:19 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:53 PM
  • HI
    1 Is it true that this migration must be completed in 21 days or the source server will shut down?
    yes. "On the 22nd day of continued non-compliance, the software will cause the server to shut down. You may re-start the software immediately after it shuts down.
    Until the configuration is corrected, the software can be run for 21 calendar days before another shutdown occurs. During this 21-day period, you will be able to make the necessary corrections to your configuration to become compliant with these license terms.
    Once you have corrected your configuration, the warnings and automatic shutdowns will cease."

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/UseTerms/Retail/WindowsServer2016/Essentials/UseTerms_Retail_WindowsServer2016_Essentials_English.htm

2 What is the process to re-purpose the 2012 server for use on the network?
    It's not secure to re-use windows server 2012 essentials, especially
     expose it to internet. because windows server 2012 essentials Mainstream Support End Date 10/9/2018.if you still want to use windows server 2012 essentials ,i think after your migration from wse2012 to wse2016 ,you need to clean install wse2012 in independent local network. Make sure your wse2012 and wse2016 working in the different network.

Search product lifecycle
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/1163

Migrate from Previous Versions to Windows Server Essentials
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/migrate/migrate-from-previous-versions-to-windows-server-essentials-or-windows-server-essentials-experience

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 8:41 AM
  • hi,
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, July 15, 2019 3:46 AM
  • Thanks for your guidance.  But, now I have a follow up.  I would like to keep the Essential server in place, either the current 2012 or migrate to 2016.  I really like the client backup service.  So, if I purchase another server and install Server 2019 standard with CALs, can it act as a backup DC should the Essential server be unavailable?
    Monday, July 15, 2019 12:26 PM
  • hi
    we can add the w2019std to wse2016 domain network environment as dc but i think wse2016 have been acted as role for client backup .

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 3:01 AM