index $0 for file 25 during every chkdsk RRS feed

• Question

• Every time chkdsk runs I get the error index $0 for file 25.  This is a large file server so we really cannot bring the server down often.  A couple weeks ago the power company scheduled a power outage to replace equipment so we brought everything down except this file server.  I connected it to a generator and let the chkdsk run.  It ran for about 5 hours and showed deleting file 25 for about an hour then writing file 25 for about 2 hours then continued to run with no more errors.  After it finished I shut down the server and waited for the power to be restored.  Brought the server online everything seemed fine.  I have been receiving several errors "Ntfs(55) - The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable.  Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume Internal Storage Array.

Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
    dual 2.27Ghz Xeon Processors
    Dell R510 server 
    PERC RAID array 18.1 TB 
    RAID 6

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If the issue cannot be fixed by chkdsk /f or /r, you may not able to find a solution except perform a format.

As the server need to be kept running, my suggestion is to temporarily ignore it until you have enough time to troubleshoot or maybe perform a format with proper backup.

In the meantime it is important to keep a healthy backup incase it is a hard disk issue. 

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by sadyer Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:19 PM
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 8:49 AM