How do I stop Windows Media Player from changing my files? RRS feed

• Question

• I would like it if WMP would stop changing the id3 and album art info on my soings. I have uncheked every option and it still does it. My question is, how is an app that downloads and uploads and changes my files, all without my permission, not considered a virus?
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 11:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please refer to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Add-or-change-album-art-in-Windows-Media-Player.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Yeah that doesn't help at all. I want WMP to STOP DOWNLOADING STUFF WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. This article says NOTHING about that.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:41 PM
  • Hi,

Please understand that the player attempts to automatically download to an entry in a online database, this is by design. It won't be virus.

The supplemental media information is retrieved from the currently active online store. If you want to see if different supplemental media information is available, you can switch to a different online store.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Magon LiuModerator Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:51 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by mscheaf Tuesday, May 3, 2011 2:39 PM
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:36 AM
  • What? My point is I dont want wmp to download anything. I did not give it permission to change MY mp3s. When a program changes your files without permission and downloads stuff to your computer without permission that is the behavior of a virus. I don't want WMP to download anything every. I have set all options to not and it still does. I guess I will just uninstall it
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:37 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the inconvinience.

At this point, I would like to confirm if the following options has been unchecked:

Open WMP, click on Organize->Options.... under the Library "Retrieve additional information from the Internet" under "Automatic media information updates for files" section.

Please double check this settings.

Regards,

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Yes I have that option unchecked. It doesn't matter. As soon as I open WMP it starts changing ID3 tags and changing album art.
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 1:09 PM
  • With that in mind, under Privacy tab, please also uncheck all the options and also "Clear History" and "Clear Caches" to check the result.

Regards,

Thursday, May 5, 2011 6:10 AM
  • Let me try this one more time and try to keep up.

NO MATTER WHAT I CHECK OR UNCHECK WMP CHANGES MY MP3 FILES WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!!!!

Is that clear enough. I don't know how to make it any more clear. I said in my first post that I have unchecked every option, yet you keep telling me to uncheck options. Are you serious? Even when the computer is not connected to the internet, WMP decides to start renumbering tracks and changing genres. WTF?!?!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:25 PM
  • For example: I just opened up a folder that haad 9 albums in it. WMP proceded to erase the id3 v2 tag info from every song and replace it with the ID3 v 1 info. Windows Media Player is a virus. Period.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:09 PM
  • I completely agree with mscheaf. This is definitely a bothersome nuisance. Whose MP3 files are they anyway? Microsoft's or mine? If they are my files, which every file on my computer is, M$ doesn't have a right to change any of them, especially media files where I select what the hell the ID3 tag is supposed to be, whether I use their products or not. So...make a fix MICROSOFT and stop changing our ID3 tags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're fighting against the customer here and it's for no good reason.

Saturday, July 16, 2011 1:27 AM
  • well said ssbesma

I agree with that 100%

Apple vs Microsoft in whose better at helping?

(apple i reckon! lol!)

Blonde015 Windows Vista/Windows Live User
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:04 PM
  • The Player can automatically scan the files in your library and download missing media information or attempt to fix incorrect media information. To change this setting, do the following:
    1. Click the arrow below the Library tab, and then click More Options.

2. In the Automatic media information updates for files area, select the Retrieve additional information from the Internet check box.

Do one of the following:

• If you want the Player to only add media information that is missing from your files, click Only add missing information.

• If you want the Player to overwrite all the media information in your files, click Overwrite all media information.

Use caution with this option. If you manually modify media information in your files, this option will potentially overwrite all of your changes.

For more information, please refer to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-vista/Media-information-in-Windows-Media-Player-frequently-asked-questions

Regards,

Thursday, July 21, 2011 7:41 AM
  • You are still missing the point. I do not WMP to EVER change anny of my files FOR ANY REASON. No matter what option I check or uncheck, the behavior remains the same. Even if I unplug my computer from the internet, WMP still changes my id3 tags. What don't you get?

I DONT WANT WMP TO CHANGE MY FILES!!!!!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:44 PM
  • i guess that's why you should use iTunes or some other media player, windows media player seems to be driving you insane.
    Blonde015 Windows Vista/Windows Live User
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:36 PM
  • Wow, I though I would be the only one getting angry. I have a Sandisk MP3 player that likes 500x500 album art. So, guess what? I downloaded 500x500 album art, saved it as "folder.jpg", and loaded it on my device. Then, when I started playing around with Windows Media Player, it deleted a whole bunch of art, and replaced it withou 200x200's, all with poor lighting. Then, when I try to copy the pictures off my PMP, and back onto my harddrive, hoping they will be left alone, WMP has the nerve to CHANGE THE PICTURES ON MY PLAYER, AS WELL!!! Seriously!!! I just went through a lot of trouble finding a plugin to support importing ogg vorbis files into the library, and this is how WMP thanks me!

Unless someone knows how to fix this, I recommend MediaMonkey instead, especially for owners of non-apple MP3 players.

Also, you can probably stop WMP from accessing the internet by changing the proxy settings. I have my set to use a proxy ip of 0.0.0.0. Hopefully, this will solve the issue. My best guess is that without internet access, WMP will not be able to download any "useful" information, neither will it be able to "help" us by applying it.

Monday, July 25, 2011 8:38 PM
  • I'm not as angry as the previous poster but everything he said is true, there should be a way of stopping media player from changing you files especially as people take a lot of time and care over their record collections
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:54 PM
  • After thinking this was fixed with the WMP version 11 that I have, I discovered definitively that it is not fixed,and this is after disabling all the options that were ever mentioned above by Magon Liu and all the advice I could scrape up after looking at various forums which only turned out to be what he said.

WMP writes blank ID3 v1.0 and ID3 v2.3 tags to the file you were last playing as soon as you exit WMP.

So, I'm back to asking Microsoft when they will patch WMP so that it will not attempt to modify the file in any way (aside from the Last Accessed date of course). I don't want tags (even blank tags) attached to any of my media files.

• Edited by ssybesma Sunday, April 1, 2012 3:54 AM
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 8:19 AM
  • I found a way that blocks WMP from going online

First go to windows firewall and then click advanced settings

Click 'Outbound rule' on left

Then 'New rule' on right

Click next and add WMP 

Click next and block 

Now WMP cant download any USEFUL information from the RELIABLE microsoft store
    • Proposed as answer by KrrishinmasK Sunday, August 26, 2012 2:33 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by KrrishinmasK Monday, August 27, 2012 4:42 AM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 6:34 AM
  • I have had similar issues. I do not mind WMP downloading the album art, nor do I mind the WMA files being renamed, but WMP seems to miss some file in the renaming process. WMP also has the annoying habit of creating new directories for an album, but not moving all the files. This leaves the album split into two directories.

The solution I have been working on is let WMP do its thing, but correct any incorrect album art when it is wrong. Copy the song files and album art files to an SD card, correct the file names to be consistent with the file name structure I picked on WMP, and once I complete this task, move the tab on the SD card to write protect and block WMP from changing anything.

Do to the size of my music collection, I currently require a 32GB SD card to hold it, but I opted to the 64GB. There are 10,000 + songs in my collection, I will update and let everyone know if this works or not once I have completed the process.

Saturday, August 2, 2014 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Add-or-change-album-art-in-Windows-Media-Player.

Regards,

Maybe you should post an answer instead of a link because in 6 weeks Microsoft will change that link and it won't work any more.

MCSD .NET developer in Dallas, Texas

Monday, June 4, 2018 5:01 PM
  • This problem seems to have existed for years. Have Microsoft even try to fix this? I'm spending more than 2 hours per month to correct my media files due to this problem. I'm now using other mp3 player to avoid WMP changing my records. But sometimes I mistakenly double click, then it's disaster time again. So annoying!
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 6:14 AM