Can't select other printer when in Excel 2010

• Hey there community! 

So here is my issue I'm hoping to get resolved as I don't know what else to try and Excel is not one of my strong points. I work at a school district using Windows 7 Pro 32-bit and student profiles are added to the local guest group so they are deleted after they log off (since there is no more delprof functionality). We have installed MS Office 2010 Pro on these machines (about 110 in total) and we have recently started having random issues with printers ONLY within Excel 2010. 

All printers have been installed via print server and policies and all users have no problems printing to any of their installed printers. Where the problem comes in is when a student tries to print to a printer other than their default printer. Once they try to select another printer besides their default it reverts back to the default and will not allow the other printer to be selected. 

The students have 4 printers installed on their machines and I've gone as far as removing all unnecessary printers (XPS Writer, One Note, etc) and cannot for the life of me figure out why they can't select any other printer. Their profiles are removed and created fresh at each login so I can't see a profile issue being the case here. 

This issue is also very random and I cannot re-create the issue. I'll give an example to help put it into perspective...

If computers 1,3, and 9 are logged into and a student tries to print to any other printer besides their default it will revert back to their default regardless. Now the next day computers 1,3, and 9 will have the same students on the same computers and be able to select whichever printer they want but now computers 2 and 6 will not be able to select other printers and yesterday they operated normally. 

I'm puzzled and have exhausted my skills and am looking for any help.

Thanks in advance!!

Friday, January 20, 2012 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

Since a similar scenario is caused by an Excel add-in “Microsoft Office Labs Search Command” , I would suggest you can try the method of disable all application add-ins through GPO.

You can find the option from Microsoft Office 2010 Administrative Template:

Administrative Templates | Microsoft Excel 2010 | Excel Options | Security | Trust Center

Disable all application add-ins

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 23, 2012 6:32 AM
  • Thanks for the quick response Rex! 

I have just recently (about 10 minutes ago) created a new security group and added all of the machines in question to this group for testing the new GPO. I will be applying the policy to this group only in one classroom to see if anything changes. I thank you for your idea and will post back with the results, though it may be a couple of days to be sure I get enough students logging in and out to see if there is a change. 

Thanks again!

Monday, January 23, 2012 1:04 PM
  • Well, I just received confirmation that the applied policy of disabling all Excel add-ins did not work for us. I have let it go since this past Monday when I enforced the policy and waited to ask if there were still issues. I rec'd an email from one of our teachers today saying this is still happening. 

I have asked students to not log off when finishing their sessions but instead to reboot their machines in thought of since the student group is added to the local guest group for profile deletion that maybe their profiles weren't being completely deleted and there were lingering issues. I have confirmed that when they reboot the profile is always gone upon boot up again and they are starting with a fresh profile so it can't be related to a corrupt profile as far as I can see. 

I have also logged in to notice that the add-ins in Excel were disabled when the software was run so I know the policy had taken hold. I also did a gpresult to verify...

Any other thoughts anyone or Rex again? I'm truly stumped at this point!

Thanks in advance again!

Friday, January 27, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Anyone have any other ideas? The more I'm looking around at printing w/Excel I'm noticing a lot of issues pertaining to Excel only and no other of the Office Suite applications. Any other suggestions are welcome...I am at a loss at this point. 

Thanks in advance,

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 7:02 PM
  • I'm assuming that there isn't a found solution for this issue as of yet? I have quite a few upset teachers at the moment and would love to get this cleared up for them. I am at a loss as to what to try next...

Thanks in advance once again,

Monday, March 05, 2012 8:04 PM
  • I have that issue. Luckily it is not widespread. Like you it seems to be quite random as to when it happens. But it does happen on Excel only.

Do you have office 2010 or Office 2010 SP1?

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:10 AM
  • We have Office 2010 as of right now. I've downloaded SP1 but have not pushed it out to any of the problem machines yet due to a hectic schedule. That is going to be my next move...hopefully sooner than later :)
    Monday, April 02, 2012 7:50 PM
  • Hey there,

Sorry to dig up an old tech but we have the same problem at our school a year down the line. We cannot get rid of the issue. The magical reboot temporary fixes the problem but it comes back again after a few days. I also realised that this problem isn't present on admin users at all. Is there something I am missing here via GPO etc? We have office 2010 SP1 and it is only present on a few machines but is an annoyance for the teacher and students. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 8:45 AM