none
SharePoint Server 2019 Preview on windows 2019 preview RRS feed

• Question

• Did anyone try to install on windows 2019 preview?

I did not pass the pre-requisites (Can't Install IIS)

Ofer Gal

Thursday, September 6, 2018 7:38 PM

Answers

• Hey Ofer and Asfaw, this is an unfortunate side effect due to Windows Server 2019 being in preview right now. As Asfaw says, SharePoint needs to install .NET Framework 3.5, but Windows now tries to pull the .NET Framework 3.5 package down from Windows Update by default. Microsoft hasn't published the .NET Framework 3.5 package to Windows Update for the Windows Server 2019 preview builds.  Once Windows Server 2019 reaches RTM, the .NET Framework 3.5 package for it will be published to Windows Update and the SharePoint prerequisite installer will work as expected.

In the meantime, you can follow these instructions to install the necessary Windows Server features via PowerShell.  Be sure to include the -Source parameter to specify the location of the \Sources\sxs directory on the Windows Server 2019 ISO.

- Troy Starr [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Ofer Gal Friday, September 7, 2018 4:42 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 9:54 PM

All replies

• Yeah, I tried and I couldn't passed stage of Pre-Req due to unable to install .Net 3.5. This feature is required and I made lots of workarounds to install but couldn't. One thing to remind though I made this effort on my Azure and used their imaged VM. but, if you're trying on-prem then install .Net 3.5 from image and it should work. 
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 8:50 PM
  • Hey Ofer and Asfaw, this is an unfortunate side effect due to Windows Server 2019 being in preview right now. As Asfaw says, SharePoint needs to install .NET Framework 3.5, but Windows now tries to pull the .NET Framework 3.5 package down from Windows Update by default. Microsoft hasn't published the .NET Framework 3.5 package to Windows Update for the Windows Server 2019 preview builds.  Once Windows Server 2019 reaches RTM, the .NET Framework 3.5 package for it will be published to Windows Update and the SharePoint prerequisite installer will work as expected.

In the meantime, you can follow these instructions to install the necessary Windows Server features via PowerShell.  Be sure to include the -Source parameter to specify the location of the \Sources\sxs directory on the Windows Server 2019 ISO.

- Troy Starr [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Ofer Gal Friday, September 7, 2018 4:42 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 9:54 PM
  • Thx. this got me going again

Still had to run PrerequisiteInstaller.exe twice :-)

Ofer Gal

Friday, September 7, 2018 5:39 PM