OCS 2007 R1 Edge Migration to LYNC 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear ALL,

I am planning to Migrate my OCS 2007 R1 Edge setup to LYNC 2010. I have already migrated my front end servers, currently I have four lync front end servers with two poosl and OCS R1 Front end server in placed.  my lync & ocs clients are able to login internally and externally, Now my query is that I am installing lync edge server but i want to use same FQDN of ocs R1 edge and IP addresses, for that I am taking the downtime and i will shutdown the ocs R1 edge server and install the LYNC with same FQDN and internal & external IP's. if i am doing that will the OCS R1 client able to login externally after removing the ocs r1 edge server.

Is this possbile or what is the other way i can use same IP andvFQDN and my OCS client should login with any degraded features

Thanks & Regards

Raj Hans Kumar

Thanks RajHans
    Friday, June 10, 2011 5:07 AM

Answers

• HI Raj, I think this scenrio will work I have done the same configuration at my office and it worked out. you can have try and shutdown the ocs R1 server and deploy the new server if you found any issues then you can revert back the changes. hope this willwork for you. Thanks & Regards Zahoor Hakeem Sr Project Consultant | P C SOlutions India | MCSA , OCS 2007 R2, Enterprise voice, CCNA , CCNP.
    • Proposed as answer by Zahoor Hakeem Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Raj Hans Kumar Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:37 AM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

OCS 2007 R1 clients will not be able to connect to the Lync Edge Server so you will not be able to do it the way that you are intending to do, the solution for this  is to wait to migrate all ocs 2007 r1 clients to the lync system then move to the lync edge server.

or you will have to deploy the lync edge and leave the ocs 2007 r1 edge but on different IP addresses and DNS records.

regards, 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread
    Friday, June 10, 2011 8:11 AM
  • HI Raj, I think this scenrio will work I have done the same configuration at my office and it worked out. you can have try and shutdown the ocs R1 server and deploy the new server if you found any issues then you can revert back the changes. hope this willwork for you. Thanks & Regards Zahoor Hakeem Sr Project Consultant | P C SOlutions India | MCSA , OCS 2007 R2, Enterprise voice, CCNA , CCNP.
    • Proposed as answer by Zahoor Hakeem Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Raj Hans Kumar Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:37 AM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 10:00 AM
  • HI Zahoor

You are Genious.

It worked for me.. I spoke to lot of Microsoft guyz and did lots of googling everybody was sayng that it will not work.

And finally it work. what you suggest that i shutdown the old OCS R1 edge deployed new LYNC edge 2010 with same IP and fqdns with same certs even did some changes in SAN it started working without any issues. EVEN OCS R1 client worked also OCS R2 client.

THanks for your help your help was really apreaciated. I think you have worked alot On UC.

thanks & Regards

Raj Hans

Thanks RajHans
    Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:37 AM
  • to minimize downtime even more, you dont have to shutdown ocs edge while you are deplooying the lync edge.

-define new lync edge in topology with external FQDNs and IP addresses of ocs edge, just dont asociate new edge with any pools and dont use it for federation route.

-install new edge (on lync edge the external interface should not have any ips or just disable the interface), install certificates and start replication servvice. make sure replication is working.  other edge services wont start at this time.

-when time is right, either shutdown ocs edge or disable external interface, move  IP addresses to lync edge, start services

-in topology asociate new lync edge server for media and use it for federation

ps: merge wizard will give you warning that two servers are enabled for federation. you can ignore it during the coexistence

Saturday, June 11, 2011 1:01 PM