none
Remote Mailbox cannot access the shared mailbox on premise RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have typical Scenario before you.

There are two users X and Y.

For User X I created a remote mailbox using the command enable-remotemailbox and the creation was successful and the user is able to access the mailbox and do the general stuff. The user X requested access for a shared mailbox in on premise and I gave access to the shared mailbox. But the User X is not able to open the mailbox.

User Y has an on premise mailbox and we migrated the user Y to cloud and later assigned user Y access to the same shared mailbox as User X and he was able to access it without any problem (full access)

Any one seen such scenario.

Friday, October 26, 2018 4:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• Put both mailboxes on-premises or in the cloud.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Monday, October 29, 2018 1:50 AM
  • Hi Amar Grandhi,

You can have a look about this article, it points out cross-premises isn't suitable this scenario, you should put them at the same side as Ed Crowley said.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, October 29, 2018 7:03 AM
  • Kyle Xu - The article you mentioned shows that full access permissions in the cross premise should work

Full Access A mailbox on an on-premises Exchange server can be granted the Full Access permission to an Office 365 mailbox, and vice versa. For example, an Office 365 mailbox can be granted the Full Access permission to an on-premises shared mailbox. Users need to open the mailbox using the Outlook desktop client; cross-premises mailbox permissions aren't supported in Outlook on the web.

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 4:54 PM
  • Full Access A mailbox on an on-premises Exchange server can be granted the Full Access permission to an Office 365 mailbox, and vice versa. For example, an Office 365 mailbox can be granted the Full Access permission to an on-premises shared mailbox. Users need to open the mailbox using the Outlook desktop client; cross-premises mailbox permissions aren't supported in Outlook on the web.

I am able to access the cloud shared mailbox from my on premise mailbox using the outlook client by adding it as an additional mailbox why not it is possible in the reverse way?PLease see the error in the image

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 4:58 PM
  • Did you try to give this on-premises's full access permission to another Office 365 mailbox?

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 1:49 AM
  • You know what would work?  Put both mailboxes in the same place, on-premises or in the cloud.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 6:11 AM
  • I was able to find the solution with the help of Microsoft PFE

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051496/can-t-add-an-on-premises-mailbox-as-an-additional-mailbox-in-exchange

This Link provides the answer to the question posted.

• Marked as answer by Amar Grandhi Wednesday, October 31, 2018 7:46 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 7:46 PM