none
How to copy ListID between sites RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm forced to move one of my site collection "A"  to a different adress / create a new site collection "B".

I have a long list of items on site A - each with unique ListID. ListID numbers are not continuous as some elemements were deleted or ListID numbers recreated during previous migration (from ShP 2007 to 2013). There are some other section in my company that REALLY needs to have those ListID numbers unchanged as they recognize list elements only by ListID.

Now as I have to migrate from site A to site B - ShP will be creating ListID in automatic mode on site B as I copy them between sites - is there a chance to keep old ListID or manualy change those ID on site B to be corresponding to previous ones.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:09 AM

All replies

• Migration isn't a new concept, so I would assume that there is a wealth of info. Most migrations happen from version to version, but would assume the same concepts would apply from SC to SC as well.

Most likely, the answer will be a 3rd party tool, which may take some $$$, but would assume that PowerShell would have some answers for how to move a list without losing IDs.

Steve Clark, MCTS
    Easy Bins Roll-off Dumpster Rentals in Northern VA
    Specializing in:
    Driveway-sized, roll-off dumpster rentals in Fairfax VA | Dumpster Rentals for Junk Hauling in Springfield VA
    Roll-off Rental Dumpsters in Annandale, VA

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 1:44 PM
  • Hi,

You can achieve it by List Template.
    In the site A, open the list, click List Setting in the ribbon, click Save list as a template, input specify information, select Include Content:

After that, you will see this page, click list template gallery:

In the list template gallery, select the list template, click download a copy:

In the site B, open site setting, select List Template, upload the list template you just downloaded:

Finally, you can create a list by this list template, the ListID will not be changed.

Thanks,
    Carl Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, November 27, 2017 5:25 AM
  • Hi,

Refer this blog post https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sowmyancs/2009/09/24/move-a-splistitem-without-loosing-its-itemid-custom-list/

You can achieve this by writing custom code

Thanks.... ________________ Baba (MCTS, MCPD)

Monday, November 27, 2017 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer to help other community members to find the information quickly.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Carl Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 9:14 AM