none
High Availibity solution for office web app server 2013 for Sharepoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a scenario with the three nodes SP1 , SP2 and DR-SP with server 2012 standard, each running SharePoint 2013 enterprise, All of three nodes are members of single SharePoint farm that spans two data centers.Primary Data Center have two nodes SP1 , SP2 and DR data center have one node DR-SP of share point 2013.

For Office webapp server i have two nodes OWA1, and DR-OWA with server 2012 standard, that spans between two data centers.Primary Data Center have OWA1 and DR data center have one node DR-OWA of office web app server.

Currently i have configured office web app on  primary data center node OWA .How i can enable high availability of office web app server in case of primary data center outage.Please guide.
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 4:56 PM

Answers

• WAC servers on a single farm must be in the same data center. The WAC configuration you've proposed is unsupported. Build a separate WAC farm in the secondary data center and attach it to the SharePoint farm only in the event of a disaster.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by JasonGuo Monday, October 6, 2014 10:48 AM
    Thursday, September 18, 2014 6:43 PM
  • First of all as Trevord mentioned the WAC servers should be on the same data center for high-availability. IF you are talking about different data centers, then its more of disaster recovery than high availability. Technically you can group multiple OWA server instances using Windows Network Load balancer (within the same data center) for high availability.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2013/03/27/office-web-apps-2013-multi-servers-nlb-installation-and-deployment-for-sharepoint-2013-step-by-step-guide.aspx

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.

Friday, September 19, 2014 4:44 AM

All replies

• WAC servers on a single farm must be in the same data center. The WAC configuration you've proposed is unsupported. Build a separate WAC farm in the secondary data center and attach it to the SharePoint farm only in the event of a disaster.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, September 18, 2014 6:43 PM
  • First of all as Trevord mentioned the WAC servers should be on the same data center for high-availability. IF you are talking about different data centers, then its more of disaster recovery than high availability. Technically you can group multiple OWA server instances using Windows Network Load balancer (within the same data center) for high availability.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2013/03/27/office-web-apps-2013-multi-servers-nlb-installation-and-deployment-for-sharepoint-2013-step-by-step-guide.aspx

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.

Friday, September 19, 2014 4:44 AM