none
Outlook won't start

Question

• I get the error message "cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Unsupported folder class (IPF Journal)"
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 10:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Go to control panel,  Select  the mail icon and you can edit your profile from there.

Try to create a new profile see here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918

or have a look at your data file and create a new one and use that as  the default

Regards, ~P MCSE, MCITP, MCTS, MCP, CCNA
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Before U make new profile You can run Outlook with shitch /cleanviews

or rename file outcmd.dat from c:\Users\<profile>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook\

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful

Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Sounds like you have installed iCloud and have that data file set ashe default. Use Control Panel-> Mail-> Data Files... to set your original mailbox or pst-file as the default again.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:49 AM
  • Thanks Roady,

Had the same problem and that's exactly what I did.  I changed my default data set while trying to sync my outlook calander and contacts with my new POS Win7 phone.

You saved my bacon!!!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Roady, could you give more detailed instructions as to how to get back to the original mail settings?

First of all, I don't see "Mail" in control panel. I have to get there by going to Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. And when I get to my outlook folders, there are many many folders in there. Which do I set as the default? ALso, how do I set a folder to default (I can't right click, I don't see a button to indicate "defaul", etc)?

Thanks Roady.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 7:05 PM
  • I can't find any way to do that.  I can't set the original data file to default and I can't remove the iclould data file.  So what's next?
    Saturday, July 7, 2012 5:23 PM
  • I copied my original pst file with a new name.  I got outlook started but now I have two email accounts with the same name and I can't get rid of either of them.
    Saturday, July 7, 2012 5:55 PM
  • I got outlook running but now there is an email account showing in outlook but does not show up in Account Settings.  How do I configure this?  The data files show up for this account and for icloud.  
    Saturday, July 7, 2012 6:19 PM
  • Thank you so much.

you saved me.......

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:31 AM