OWA 2007 not displaying (blank page) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi there..

I also had this problem, took a while to figure it out..

At first the page would not load and there would be a yellow exclamation mark in the bottom left corner, if you click that it would say “syntax error on line 7 of login.aspx” or something to that effect. After trying may things, I removed and then re-created the OWA virtual directory in IIS using . After this, the yellow exclamation mark in the bottom left corner went away and you were presented with a blank white page.

After much search around for some log file or explanation for why this was happening, I once again recreated the OWA virtual directory, checked all rights and permissions and still the blank white page.

In absolute desperation, I looked at the code in the source code for the OWA site, here are some of the relevant bits:

<!-- Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. -->
    <!-- OwaPage = ASP.auth_logon_aspx -->

<!-- {57A118C6-2DA9-419d-BE9A-F92B0F9A418B} -->

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; CHARSET=utf-8">
    <meta name="Robots" content="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">
    <title>Microsoft Exchange - Outlook Web Access</title>
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="/owa/8.0.709.0/themes/base/logon.css">
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="/owa/8.0.709.0/themes/base/owafont.css">
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/owa/8.0.709.0/scripts/premium/flogon.js"></script>

Compared to another server of mine:

<!-- Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. -->
    <!-- OwaPage = ASP.auth_logon_aspx -->

<!-- {57A118C6-2DA9-419d-BE9A-F92B0F9A418B} -->

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; CHARSET=utf-8">
    <meta name="Robots" content="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">
    <title>Microsoft Exchange - Outlook Web Access</title>
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="/owa/8.0.685.24/themes/base/logon.css">
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="/owa/8.0.685.24/themes/base/owafont.css">
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/owa/8.0.685.24/scripts/premium/flogon.js"></script>

Notice the difference in the paths.. the OWA virtual directory looks like this:  (http://www.g7web.net/downloads/owa1.jpg)

Perhaps a dodgy update on the 29th or something, whatever the reason the files in the 8.0.709.0 folder don’t seem to be working, so, I used the files from the 8.0.685.24 folder and copied them into the 8.0.709.0 folder, now everything works!

Not sure what update of patch caused the problem, will do some more investigation into it.

Hope this helps someone.

Chris
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:32 PM

All replies

• Issue 2 toward the bottom of this Microsoft Knowledgebase article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/935490/en-us

explains that this problem (which I also suffered from) is caused by executing Update Rollup 2 for Exchange 2007 after having moved, renamed, or deleted the C:\ExchangeSetupLogs folder. I deleted mine after completing the install of Exchange, thinking that it was no longer needed.

The solution according to the article is to replace the folder or to recreate an empty folder and then to reapply the Rollup 2 update. The article supplies a link to the update. I created an empty folder and applied the update and OWA then worked like a charm.

I hope this helps others that suffer the same fate (and I have seen several posts out there!).

Art
    Friday, June 8, 2007 5:50 AM
  •  

Everyone,

I am having the same problem as several others, but can not seem to get it resolved with the information here…

My setup is as follows:

Single Exchange 2003 Server supporting OWA, Mailboxes, Public folders and RPC-HTTP – works great, as designed, installed like a piece of cake 4 years ago.

Setting up a new Exchange 2007 SP1 server on Windows Server 2008 x64 Enterprise Edition (I have done about a dozen Exchange 2003 installs in the last 5 years, never had this many headaches, glad to see we are improving the install process along with the application – HINT, HINT)

The new server is also an all in one setup as once my mailboxes can be moved, the old server gets reloaded.    So it is a BRAND NEW, Clean 2008 install with 2007 SP1 and for better or worse SP1 rollup update 1 for Exchange (this was installed directly behind the Exchange install so I do not know if OWA was working or not prior…)

I get the same reason 0 answer as everyone else, but deleting the folder and reinstalling update 1 did not help

Removing and reinstalling CAS did not help

I have a wildcard SSL Cert installed and set to be used by everything (the blank page does show it is secured by godaddy.com)

Copying the 8.1.240.5 – over the top 8.1.263.0 did not help

Uninstalling rollup 1, uninstalling CAS and reinstalling CAS did not help

Any Thoughts Comments or concerns would be appreciated

Thanks,

Daniel Ma Gill

Monday, April 7, 2008 6:40 PM
  • I had this error today and removing the sp1 rollup1 (rollup6) solved my problem.  I've actually had lots of problems with these various rollups on several different client sites!

Friday, April 11, 2008 5:25 PM
  • Did you ever get any resolution to this?  I have Exchange Server 2007 SP1 installed on Windows Server 2008 as well.  I have an empty 8.1.263.0 directory but 8.1.240.5 is full and correct.

Thanks,

Anthony

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:03 PM
  • Hi Daniel--

I was having the same issue w/ all of the ***exact*** same problems you have listed.  In my case, windows update had updated my server to SP1 rollup 1 prior to the client access role being applied.  I thought i had tried everything and was really surprised when i got it working.  This is what worked for me:

Un install SP1 rollup 1 from "installed updates".  (owa still doesn't work at this point)

browse to your exchange install via windows explorer.  go to the owa folder and delete folder/directory 8.1.263.0

start IIS 7 mgr and browse to the owa application > then expand the owa app.  you will prob. still see an app / directory for 8.1.263.0 (I did) ?  Right click on 8.1.263.0 and select remove.

now re-run the msp for exchange 2007 sp1 - rollup 1 (the file i ran was: Exchange2007-KB945684-x64-EN.msp).

notice that at the complete of the rollup 1 install you'll see a message saying the .net app needs to be created (never saw this before)...this took a good few minutes to complete.  once this was done, i launched my exchange site / owa and (among the shock!) it worked....

this was something i had been working on for 2 days....and i couldn't find a single post that addressed this issue with SP1 rollup 1 (everyone talks about rollups withOUT sp1..)

hope this helps.

Curtis

Here is my updateowa.log file.  the first 2 did not work...and the last one did...interesting (notice the log file says it is removing the app/metabase...but must have not been working correctly).

[08:56:18] ***********************************************
    [08:56:18] * UpdateOwa.ps1: 4/19/2008 8:56:18 AM
    [08:56:20] CAS role is not installed on server EXCH01
    [12:20:07] ***********************************************
    [12:20:07] * UpdateOwa.ps1: 4/26/2008 12:20:07 PM
    [12:20:10] Updating OWA on server EXCH01
    [12:20:10] Finding OWA install path on the filesystem
    [12:20:10] Updating OWA to version 8.1.263.0
    [12:20:10] Copying files from 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\owa\Current' to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\owa\8.1.263.0'
    [12:20:14] Getting all Exchange 2007 OWA virtual directories
    [12:20:16] Found 1 OWA virtual directories.
    [12:20:16] Updating OWA virtual directories
    [12:20:16] Processing virtual directory with metabase path 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa'.
    [12:20:16] Metabase entry 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0' exists. Removing it.
    [12:20:16] Creating metabase entry IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0.
    [12:20:16] Configuring metabase entry 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0'.
    [12:20:16] Saving changes to 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0'
    [12:20:16] Saving changes to 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa'
    [13:28:41] ***********************************************
    [13:28:41] * UpdateOwa.ps1: 4/26/2008 1:28:41 PM
    [13:28:42] Updating OWA on server EXCH01
    [13:28:42] Finding OWA install path on the filesystem
    [13:28:42] Updating OWA to version 8.1.263.0
    [13:28:42] Copying files from 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\owa\Current' to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\owa\8.1.263.0'
    [13:28:43] Getting all Exchange 2007 OWA virtual directories
    [13:28:43] Found 1 OWA virtual directories.
    [13:28:43] Updating OWA virtual directories
    [13:28:43] Processing virtual directory with metabase path 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa'.
    [13:28:43] Metabase entry 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0' exists. Removing it.
    [13:28:43] Creating metabase entry IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0.
    [13:28:43] Configuring metabase entry 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0'.
    [13:28:43] Saving changes to 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0'
    [13:28:43] Saving changes to 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa'
    [14:22:06] ***********************************************
    [14:22:06] * UpdateOwa.ps1: 4/26/2008 2:22:06 PM
    [14:22:07] Updating OWA on server EXCH01
    [14:22:07] Finding OWA install path on the filesystem
    [14:22:07] Updating OWA to version 8.1.263.0
    [14:22:07] Copying files from 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\owa\Current' to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\owa\8.1.263.0'
    [14:22:11] Getting all Exchange 2007 OWA virtual directories
    [14:22:11] Found 1 OWA virtual directories.
    [14:22:11] Updating OWA virtual directories
    [14:22:12] Processing virtual directory with metabase path 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa'.
    [14:22:12] Creating metabase entry IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0.
    [14:22:12] Configuring metabase entry 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0'.
    [14:22:12] Saving changes to 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.1.263.0'
    [14:22:12] Saving changes to 'IIS://exch01.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa'

Saturday, April 26, 2008 9:35 PM
  • One of my user, suddenly getting the below erro, when he try to access his mailbox;

Outlook Web Access could not open the requested mailbox. Please verify that the address is spelled correctly. If the problem continues, contact technical support for your organization and tell them the following: No match was found for the address "smtp:XXX@nebs.com".

Any one knows, solution for this error?

I am using Exchange 2007 SP1/Windows 2003.

Monday, June 30, 2008 6:41 PM
  • Many thanks to Chris for the post, after much pulling out of hair, I came across this solution and pleased to say it worked for me

Colin

Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:20 PM
  •  

I wonder if you can help.  My sitution is similiar.  Everything was working fine. rollup 3 was already installed on the exchange server.  I installed rollup 3 on the domain controller that runs the exchange tools and the next day users said that no one could access OWA.  internally or externally. they get a blank page.  I have tried to reinstall  rollup three on both servers and nothing. tried to recreate OWA virtual directory, nothing.  restarted both servers and also restarted IIS again. nothing

any ideas??

Thursday, October 9, 2008 11:33 PM
  • I had this issue on my exchange 2007 server. Have installed up through update rollup 4. After looking around, I decided to check the contents of the OWA sub folders at C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\Owa. I had a total of 6 of the 8.1.... folders. The last two did not have any contents withint the Themes folders, so I copied the contents from one of the others into the last one, and that corrected the issue. Hope this helps someone else!

Joe
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:58 PM
  • I have Windows 2008 with a fresh copy of Exchange 2007 with rollup 5 installed through Windows update.  I was receiving the reason=0 error for OWA.  I tried every single one of these ideas and none worked.  The following worked and did not affect anything on my existing Exchange 2007 server because it had the CAS role.

1.  Uninstall CAS role by going to Programs and Features and clicking on Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 and clicking Uninstall

2.  Deselect CAS role and uninstall

3.  Remove the Owa, Autodiscover, exchweb and Sync folders from c:\program files\microsoft\exchange server\clientaccess

4.  Reboot and re-install the CAS role

OWA loaded perfectly after this.

Friday, January 30, 2009 7:58 PM
  • The exact same thing as in the initial post still happens with Microsoft Update Rollup 6.  (Disgusting, eh?)  Copying files from subfolders from an earlier version (e.g. ..\client access\owa\8.1.375.2 to 8.1.393.1), then recreating the OWA virtual directory fixed the issue.  I did not replace any new files that were placed by the rollup.

My setup is brand new.  Windows Server 2008 64 bit w/ Exchange Server 2007 SP1.  We applied rollup 6 last night, this morning OWA got the yellow exclamation mark in the bottom left corner.  Error seen when double-click on mark:

Line: 6
    Char: 1
    Code: 0
    URI: https://myserver.com/owa/8.1.393.1/scripts/premium/uglobal.js

Thank you, Chris, for your initial post!
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:25 PM
  • I had the same problem as Chris but on a newer version (the 8.1.393.1 folder). Checked IIS and the folder was not created as an Application. After that I checked permissions on the folder against another “version folder” and in my case I had to change from basic authentication to anonymous authentication. I think my problem was that I needed to login to use the files that the login page needs to login the user J. But changing to anonymous on this folder removed  that problem.

I have seen this issue sometimes when developing ASP.Net sites when you want to show some images for the layout of the login page and the user does not have access to the images before logging in

/Mårten

MH
    Friday, September 4, 2009 7:51 AM
  • After the recent roll up 8.1.393.1, I had to do a combination of the above:

- Copy the contents of the subfolders of the previous update (in my case C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange\ClientAccess\owa\8.1.340.0) to the same sub folders in the new 8.1.393.1 folder.  The 8.1.393.1 subfolders (cabs, scripts, themes) were empty before!

- In IIS, convert the 8.1.393.1 directory to an Application and select the Owa pool.

- Change the authentication in IIS to anonymous.

- Restart IIS (I always do this after any IIS changes)

thanks for the pointers everyone, clearly something went wrong during the installation of the update.  We also found that after the update nearly all of the Exchange services had been stopped and disabled!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:22 AM
  • We have Windows Server 2008 64 bit w/ Exchange Server 2007 SP1 running on two CAS servers.  We were having reports of some users getting a blank page being displayed when trying to use OWA while others were fine.

• Looked for empty directories (as posted above), but all looked fine.
    • Looked at the updateowa logs on both CAS servers and I realized that the rollup 8.1.393.1 was interrupted and then restarted and it didn't install correctly on one of the servers.  This would explain the hit or miss, since one CAS server was fine and the other not.  It just depended on which server the user happen to hit when accessing OWA.
    • I also noticed that the 8.1.393.1 directory in IIS was a directory and not an application on the same corrupt server (thanks to above postings). 
    • I just uninstalled the 8.1.393.1 update (Windows Update Rollup 9 for Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1 - KB970162), rebooted, then reinstalled the update and it fixed everything.  OWA is now functioning correctly and no more blank white pages.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Same thing happen to our Exchange 2010 after updated to rollup 3.  

During the updates, all services of Exchange were change to "Disable" without any warning  ?!  And then, same thing happen to our OWA, but thanks to Chris.  OWA back to normal after the copy.  

Friday, April 23, 2010 2:56 AM
  • 2008 std x64 exchange 2007 sp1

I fixed the problem with my owa after running owaupdate.ps1 in exchange powershell,

I have not got the 2007 sp1 rollup 10 or sp2 to work at all. my system hung and left all services disabled at 100% so i have to reboot and reenable all exchange services and iis, then had the blank page issue. its now working but not quite running very well esm is very slow as is the server in general

so im pretty stuck on sp1 rollup 10 (ish) and im supposed to be migrating to 2010 next month

Friday, April 23, 2010 2:49 PM
  • Hi Everyone,

We have the same problem.
    Last night we installed the update "rollup 10 for exchange 2007 service pack 1" the update failed and reinstalled after a reboot.
    The installation disabled all Exchange Service, so we enabled them all.
    Everything works fine exept OWA.

IE8
    In IE 8 we get a blank page with a error:

Syntax error
    at line 6 character 1.

flogon.js

URI:https://mail.domain.com/owa/8.1.436.0/scripts/premium/flogon.js

Firefox
    But, in Firefox we get the "Outlook Web Access Light Theme" a white page with a default textbox to login. When we login we get a working OWA with the normal OWA layout.

Things we tried:

I followed Bowie1979 advise and checked if the 8.1.436.0 folder was emtpy. This was not the case all the files where there.
    In IIS, i converted the 8.1.436.0 folder to an Application and selected the MSExchangeOWAAppPool

And checked the IIS authentication for anonymous.

These steps where not a solution for our problem.

Anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks,

Thierry

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:56 AM
  • I just installed Rollup 10 for Exchange 2007 SP1 and we are experiencing the same problem now with OWA.  We did not experience the problem with the services running at 100% -- just the OWA problem.  We get the blank page instead of the login page when using IE, and we get the 'OWA Light' login page with FireFox.  The difference we have with the problems described by T.deJong in this forum is that even with FireFox we are stuck in the OWA Light mode after login.

Hope there is a fix for this soon.  My people are not going to be happy with this.  I would back out of the rollup but fear it will cause bigger problems.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:27 PM
  • We got ours working (see post 23 hours ago) by opening a case with Microsoft Support.  Our Rollup 10 was originally installed by the Windows Update Service.  The Microsoft support tech did a lot of poking around, but it appeared that what fixed the problem was removing the Rollup (by going to Control Panel -> Programs and Features, Click View Updates, Uninstall Rollup 10) and then installing it again using the downloaded installer at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6a894b4e-12b6-4a91-9555-d813956b6aac&displaylang=en.  One reboot later and it was working OK.

Here is the description of the case resolution.  The OWA virtual directory was removed and recreated using the Exchange Shell commands 'Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory' and 'Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory'.

Problem – Users with mailboxes on Exchange server 2007 "SERVER8" are unable to login in to Outlook web access and they are getting error "flogon.js" syntax error."

Resolution –

1)      Uninstalled update rollup 10 of Exchange server 2007 sp1.

2)      Rebooted Exchange server.

3)      Installed Update rollup 10 of Exchange server 2007 sp1.

4)      Rebooted Exchange server.

5)      Took IIS backup and deleted and recreated Outlook web access virtual directory.

6)      Restarted IIS and fixed the issue.

Articles:-

Update Rollup 10 for Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1 (KB981407)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6a894b4e-12b6-4a91-9555-d813956b6aac&displaylang=en  

Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:58 PM
  • steps 1 to 4 resolved my issue. Thanks! Mark
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Everytime I try tu install rollup 10, at the end all exchange and IIS services are disabled at restart. So I backup from last night all registry, but then the rollup is no longer in add/remove programs, and my owa still do not worked. If I try to reinstall it, should I remove BEFORE the 8.1.436.0 folder from OWA/IIS folder ? Are there any files/folders I should also remove before trying to reinstall this rollup ?

My 8.1.436.0 folder was empty for the script parts the 1st time I try to install this rollup. I copied it from another exchaneg server I own, but I still have the same problems. 

If I delete ma OWA virtual folder on IIS, when I will want to recreate it, what are the option I have to configure for it to work properly ? (I mean, are the options by default good ?)

(Sorry for my poor english)

Alan

Tuesday, June 1, 2010 9:21 AM
  • Uninstalling the rollup has been going for about 15 minutes so far. How long is it supposed to take?
    Friday, August 13, 2010 4:03 PM
  • I had the same issue that you listed, I put a call into MS and this helped me resolve my issue.  They had me go into Exchange Managment Shell and remove and recreate the OWA site.  I didnt have to remove or uninstall any service packs.

Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory "owa (default web site)"

New-OwaVirtualDirectory -name "owa" -OwaVersion Exchange2007 -WebSiteName "Default Web Site"

Hope this helps...

James

Monday, October 25, 2010 5:56 PM
  • I had the same issue that you listed, I put a call into MS and this helped me resolve my issue.  They had me go into Exchange Managment Shell and remove and recreate the OWA site.  I didnt have to remove or uninstall any service packs.

New-OwaVirtualDirectory -name "owa" -OwaVersion Exchange2007 -WebSiteName "Default Web Site"

Hope this helps...

James

I did this, fix the Syntax error. Then I have to copy files from older version(8.1.393.1)to current version (8.1.436.0) to fix the missed picture problem.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:11 PM
  • I got the same issue with Exchange 2010 after Rollup 5

The solution is identical except that the -OwaVersion parameter is not required.

New-OwaVirtualDirectory -name "owa" -WebSiteName "Default Web Site"

Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:07 AM
  • Resolved my Issue as well, Thanksscc.rickm
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:21 PM
  • THANK YOU!  This saved me from pain and suffering!!  It worked as long as I changed the "default web site" to "SBS Web Applications" which was where my owa was located!!!
    Friday, December 17, 2010 8:52 PM
  • Troubleshooting Ex-01

Date: 5-5-2011

Platform: Exchange server 2007 SP3 on Windows server 2008 R2 std. edition.

Domain name: Python.com

DC name: cobra

FQDN: cobra.Python.com

Setup: Exchange server 2007 SP3 installed on the domain controller with DNS too.

OWA address: http://cobra.python.com/owa/

Error aroused:

While trying to open the mail page using the client Outlook Web Access using the above mentioned URL a blank page is displayed with a yellow exclamatory mark on the left side of the status bar. The details of the error code as follows:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; InfoPath.3)

Timestamp: Thu, 5 May 2011 19:43:12 UTC

Line: 6

Char: 1

URI: https://localhost/owa/8.3.137.0/scripts/premium/flogon.js

Solution:

1. Restart all the services of IIS and Exchange server.

2. Go to IIS Manager and follow the path à IIS – Default Web Site – OWA – 8.3.137.0

3. Double click on Authentication – enable anonymous authentication.

4. Again restart the services and try to access OWA.

Refer the following link

http://my-technet.com/index.php/microsoft/exchange/exchange-2007/blank-owa-page-after-installing-exchange-rollup-patch/comment-page-1/#comment-113

Kishore Bitra
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 10:43 AM
  • If you feel like trying something easy or you have just tried everything else, here's what I did:

Renamed the ExchangeSetupLogs folder

Create new ExchangeSetupLogs folder

Re-ran Rollup install

It worked!

Monday, June 6, 2011 10:59 PM

Hope this helps...

James

Thanks, that fix the problem for me. That was all I needed to do.
    Saturday, May 5, 2012 12:19 AM

Hope this helps...

James

Thanks, that fix the problem for me. That was all I needed to do.

Worked perfectly for me after applying Rollup 8 for Service Pack 3 broke it.

Thanks

Thursday, September 6, 2012 4:08 PM
  • Thank you very much for the info, because I was able to use it to fix the same problem with Rollup 8-v2 for Service Pack 3 (KB2756497).  There was one additional step: I had to copy the missing files from \program files\exchange\ClientAccess\Owa\8.3.279.3\themes to \program files\exchange\ClientAccess\Owa\8.3.279.5\themes in order to get the images back.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 5:58 AM
  • I had the same issue after a Windows Update installing update rollup 12 on my Exchange 2007 SP3 server (on a Windows 2003 x64 server).

The post by ceidson helped me. I renamed (safer than deleting it) the 8.3.342.1 folder from owa virtual directory in IIS. Then I downloaded the update rollup and reapplied it. it took a while but everything went back to normal after that.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:49 PM
  • Hello,

I am having the exact same issue. Same server os version and exchange version.

I see quite a few folders in iis and the exchange folderI see folder name 8.3.342.1 but underneath this one i see 8.3.83.4.

Do I need to rename both folders only in IIS and then reapply the update roll up. Or just the one you are referring too.

Thanks

Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:02 PM
  • Hi all,

After applying Exchange 2007 Update Rollup 12 our OWA stopped working.  Just a blank white page.  It was fixed by removing the OWA virtual directory, then creating it.   No need to remove the update rollup.  Below are the commands used for our Exchange server.  I am pretty sure that the locations we use are the defaults from our original Exchange 2007 installation.

To fix:

Inside the Exchange Management Shell

First, remove the current OWA Virtual Directory using the below command inside of the Exchange Management Shell:

Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory "owa (Default Web Site)"

Then, create a new OWA Virtual Directory:

New-OwaVirtualDirectory -OWAversion Exchange2007 -Name "owa (Default Web Site)"

Then, using IIS Manager, stop the "Default Web Site"  (right-click > Stop)  then start the

Default Web Site"  (right-click > Start)

Monday, December 16, 2013 9:32 PM
  • Thanks CCI_Dave for the Exchange Management Shell commands, it solved my issue.

Your second command to recreate the Owa Virtual Directory did not work for me though... 
    New-OwaVirtualDirectory -OWAversion Exchange2007 -Name "owa (Default Web Site)"
    I had to use this command from magicmike0409. 

It was probably just the name of my Web Site that was set to Default Web Site...

Thanks again...

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:35 PM
  • I had the same issue after a Windows Update installing update rollup 12 on my Exchange 2007 SP3 server (on a Windows 2003 x64 server).

The post by ceidson helped me. I renamed (safer than deleting it) the 8.3.342.1 folder from owa virtual directory in IIS. Then I downloaded the update rollup and reapplied it. it took a while but everything went back to normal after that.

I also had the blank page issue in IE.  It was confusing to me at first as I notice that Firefox and Chrome display the logon page that at least allowed you to logon, IE was blank.  I stopped the web server (in my case SBS 2008) and then renamed the 8.3.342.1 folder to .old. Then I reapplied the Exchange Rollup 12 and everything works perfectly now. Thanks ceidson and IT TMECA! Much appreciated.

Friday, February 21, 2014 7:44 AM
  • I had the same issue with one of my Exchange 2007 hub server on which we installed RU19 today. Users who were connecting to that CAS server were getting blank page while accessing OWA. As suggested by Marten, I changed basic authentication to anonymous authentication for 8.1.444.1 folder in IIS/OWA on the affected CAS server to resolve this issue.

Thanks Marten!

Friday, January 22, 2016 7:05 PM