none
Event ID 10016 - DCOM Error | Source - Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM | Level: Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there... I am getting the above mentioned error with the

Description: dows-DistributedCOM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Full message is -

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    Date:          5/15/2012 1:18:44 PM
    Event ID:      10016
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          NT AUTHORITY\IUSR
    Computer:      Server.domain.com
    Description:
    The description for Event ID 10016 from source Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

application-specific
    Local
    Activation
    {2D527A8C-A4B6-4E74-A63F-E867360D401C}
    {B13EFBAE-7504-4938-9ED7-8E8B53E51221}
    NT AUTHORITY
    IUSR
    S-1-5-17
    LocalHost (Using LRPC)

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">10016</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-05-15T19:18:44.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>43121</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>Server.Domain.com</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-17" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="param1">application-specific</Data>
        <Data Name="param2">Local</Data>
        <Data Name="param3">Activation</Data>
        <Data Name="param4">{2D527A8C-A4B6-4E74-A63F-E867360D401C}</Data>
        <Data Name="param5">{B13EFBAE-7504-4938-9ED7-8E8B53E51221}</Data>
        <Data Name="param6">NT AUTHORITY</Data>
        <Data Name="param7">IUSR</Data>
        <Data Name="param8">S-1-5-17</Data>
        <Data Name="param9">LocalHost (Using LRPC)</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Please let me know any solutions to fix....

Steps, I did try from one of the blogs -

Open Component Services. Got oStart --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Components Services. Expand the Component Services branch then expand Computers, My Computer and DCOM Config. Right-click on "sms agent host" (my case) and click Properties. Click on the Security tab and under “Launch and Activation Permissions” select "edit" and add user Local Service (Local lunch). Click OK, close the Component Services window.

In the Launch Permission dialog box, make sure that the Everyone group has Remote Launch and Remote Activation permissions.

In the Launch Permission dialog box, make sure that the SMS Reporting Users local group has following permissions:

Local Launch / Remote Launch / Local Activation / Remote Activation

Also added Remote Launch / Remote Activation permission for Network Service (for the SMS_Reporting_Point)

Added Admin Group to the "ConfigMgr Remote Control Users"

VT

• Edited by mywindows Friday, May 18, 2012 4:22 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:49 PM

Answers

• I guess from your steps, you've already seen this article?
    http://eventid.net/display-eventid-10016-source-DCOM-eventno-4718-phase-1.htm

In addition, this appears to be for the IUSR account. I see you attempted it on the SNS CLSID. CUrious, what made you think it's related to SMS or SCCM? Is this server an SMS or SCCM server?

I would suggest to search the reg for those CLSIDs, see what service or component it refers to, then look for that in the list of components in DCOM.

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2, Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Complete List of Technical Blogs: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/technicalblogs.php

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

• Marked as answer by mywindows Friday, May 18, 2012 8:04 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 12:38 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to use the below troubleshooting steps:

Click Start , click Run , type dcomcnfg , and then click OK . 
      Expand Component Services , and then expand Computers . 
      Right-click My Computer , and then click Properties . 
      On the COM Security tab, click Edit Default in the Launch and Activation Permissions area. 
      In the Launch Permission dialog box, click Add . 
      In the Enter the object names to select box, type NETWORK SERVICE , click Check Names , and then click OK . 
      In the Group or user names list, click NETWORK SERVICE . 
      In the Permissions for NETWORK SERVICE list, click to select the Allow check box for the following permissions: • Local Launch 
      • Remote Launch 
      • Local Activation 
      • Remote Activation

In addition, In the security policy the ‘Local Service’ need to be configured for the following Policies
    - Generate security audits
    - Create global objects
    - Replace a process level token
    - Adjust memory quotas for a process
    - Impersonate a client after authentication

- Log on as a service
    - Bypass traverse checking

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Yan Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Yan Li

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Ace Fekay [MCT] Friday, May 18, 2012 7:27 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 9:42 AM
  • Hi Ace and Yan, thanks for the reply....I could not find the issue again as the previous change I did worked out and its fine now....Thanks again for your response.

VT

• Marked as answer by mywindows Friday, May 18, 2012 8:03 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 8:03 PM

All replies

• I guess from your steps, you've already seen this article?
    http://eventid.net/display-eventid-10016-source-DCOM-eventno-4718-phase-1.htm

In addition, this appears to be for the IUSR account. I see you attempted it on the SNS CLSID. CUrious, what made you think it's related to SMS or SCCM? Is this server an SMS or SCCM server?

I would suggest to search the reg for those CLSIDs, see what service or component it refers to, then look for that in the list of components in DCOM.

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2, Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Complete List of Technical Blogs: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/technicalblogs.php

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, May 18, 2012 12:38 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to use the below troubleshooting steps:

Click Start , click Run , type dcomcnfg , and then click OK . 
      Expand Component Services , and then expand Computers . 
      Right-click My Computer , and then click Properties . 
      On the COM Security tab, click Edit Default in the Launch and Activation Permissions area. 
      In the Launch Permission dialog box, click Add . 
      In the Enter the object names to select box, type NETWORK SERVICE , click Check Names , and then click OK . 
      In the Group or user names list, click NETWORK SERVICE . 
      In the Permissions for NETWORK SERVICE list, click to select the Allow check box for the following permissions: • Local Launch 
      • Remote Launch 
      • Local Activation 
      • Remote Activation

In addition, In the security policy the ‘Local Service’ need to be configured for the following Policies
    - Create global objects

- Log on as a service

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Yan Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Yan Li

• Proposed as answer by Ace Fekay [MCT] Friday, May 18, 2012 7:27 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 9:42 AM
  • Hi Ace and Yan, thanks for the reply....I could not find the issue again as the previous change I did worked out and its fine now....Thanks again for your response.

VT

• Marked as answer by mywindows Friday, May 18, 2012 8:03 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2012 8:03 PM
  • I'm glad to hear you got it worked out!

Cheers!

Ace Fekay

Friday, May 18, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Thanks Ace...Have a good day.

VT

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:58 PM

• In addition, In the security policy the ‘Local Service’ need to be configured for the following Policies
    - Create global objects

- Log on as a service

Yan Li

a

Hi Li,

I have same problem (Event ID 100016) on my 64-bit Win2003 SP2, which is a SCCM 2007 server.

I did what you mentioned up part, and I don't know how to do the addition part which is in quote.

Could you please give more in detail?

Much thank in advance!

yxh

Thursday, November 8, 2012 7:23 PM

• In addition, In the security policy the ‘Local Service’ need to be configured for the following Policies
    - Create global objects

- Log on as a service

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Yan Li

hi,

i m having similiar error but with another APPID 

i did what u said in 1st part but i couldnt get what u mean in additional settings ? i couldnt do that. 

Error details :

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    Date:          7/2/2013 4:03:20 PM
    Event ID:      10016
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          LOCAL SERVICE
    Computer:      THINK
    Description:
    The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
    {7160A13D-73DA-4CEA-95B9-37356478588A}
     and APPID 
    {7160A13D-73DA-4CEA-95B9-37356478588A}
     to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">10016</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-02-07T14:03:20.356793400Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1465</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="868" ThreadID="2832" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>THINK</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="param1">machine-default</Data>
        <Data Name="param2">Local</Data>
        <Data Name="param3">Activation</Data>
        <Data Name="param4">{7160A13D-73DA-4CEA-95B9-37356478588A}</Data>
        <Data Name="param5">{7160A13D-73DA-4CEA-95B9-37356478588A}</Data>
        <Data Name="param6">NT AUTHORITY</Data>
        <Data Name="param7">LOCAL SERVICE</Data>
        <Data Name="param8">S-1-5-19</Data>
        <Data Name="param9">LocalHost (Using LRPC)</Data>
        <Data Name="param10">Unavailable</Data>
        <Data Name="param11">Unavailable</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

• Edited by Merdo2009 Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:17 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:16 PM
  • If you have a need to disable Kasperskiy NAP))) thanks
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:48 AM
  • I don't have a Server but do get the same error in W10 is the same suggested 'fix' for W10? In other words will it work with W10 as well? I have followed the first steps in setting NETWORK SERVICE permissions but can not find where it is you are speaking of when you say ''In addition, In the security policy the ‘Local Service’ need to be configured for the following Policies

Generate security audits
    - Create global objects

- Log on as a service

Can you please give a step by step on how to do this? Point me to the where the Security Policy is for Local Service and then how to go about configuring the listed items.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 4:55 PM
  • These 10016 DCOM errors occur fairly frequently. Here my general fix for 10016 DCOM errors that has worked for all that I have tried it on except for RuntimeBroker {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47c8-AFC4-AB702511C276} and my fix for that can be seen at RuntimeBroker Fix .

Fix for Distributed COM Error ID: 10016

This fix is for 10016 DCOM errors which have an error message that looks something like this:

Make sure that you have administrator privileges before starting. First go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Component Services > Computers > My Computer > DCOM Config and then right click on the Application from the error information (listed after “and APPID”) that is causing the problem and click Properties > Security tab where you will see 3 edit buttons. Because the Names are sorted rather than the AppID first check the end of the list where there are many that are not named and just go by their APPID, then to find the Apps name open the registry editor (Right click Windows icon > Run > regedit > Enter) and do a search for it (Edit > Find).

If you can click Customize and its Edit button then go to step 5, but if you can not (Customize the Edit button are faded) then you need to open the Registry Editor (Right click Windows icon > Run > regedit > Enter) and change permissions for the APPID by doing Steps 1–4. [Note: You should probably back up any registry keys that you are going to change by doing a right click on the key and exporting it to a folder and then you can import the key back in when done rather than having to change the permissions back at the end.]

1. Open the Registry Editor (Right click Windows icon > Run > regedit > Enter) and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\. Make a note of the name of the service listed in (Default) Data.
    2. Right click on it again and choose Permissions > Advanced and make note of the privileges for so you can change it back later. Click Change next to Owner and then click Advanced > Find Now > Administrators > OK > OK > check the box below the Owner > Apply.
    3. Click on Administrators > Edit and check Full Control then click OK.
    4. Check "Replace all child objects...." and then Apply.  If a message(s) comes up just click OK or Yes until back to the Permissions window.  Then click OK>OK to close the Permissions window. [Note: While changing the AppID permissions should be all you need to change, if you have any problems in getting access to the AppID Component Services do a find for the CLSID and also change the permissions there.]
    5. Go to Component Services (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Component Services) and right click on My Computer then click COM Security. Click the Edit Default under Access Permissions and make sure that you have in the Group or User Names window: All Applications Packages, Self, System, and Administrators. If any are missing, then click Add > Advanced > Find Now > [Name]> OK > OK, and make sure that System and All Application Packages have just Local Access checked. are checked for each. When done click OK to get back the Properties window. OK > OK to get back to the console. Do the same for the Default Edit button for the Launch and Activation Permissions and make sure you have at least: Applications Packages, System, Interactive. and Administrators. Applications Packages and System should just have the two Local boxes checked while the other two should have all of them checked.
    6. Click on My Computer in the Console and then click DCOM Config (make sure View is Detail) and in the right column right click on the name of the service you saw in the registry key (Default) Data (which should have the APPID that you changed in the registry) and click Properties > Security.  You’ll see 3 edit buttons. You should now be able to click Customize on all of them and the Edit button is now longer faded.
    7. Under Launch and Activation Permissions, make sure Customize is checked and then click on Edit. Make sure that you have in the Group or User Names window: All Applications Packages, System, Administrator, and Interactive (it is fine if there are others). If any are missing, then click Add > Advanced > Find Now > [Name]> OK > OK. System and All Applications Packages  should have just the Local boxes checked (OK if the latter two have all checked) while Administrator and Interactive should have all checked. When done click OK to get back the Properties window.
    8. Under Access Permissions, make sure Customize is checked and click the Edit button. Make sure that you have in the Group or User Names window: All Applications Packages, System, Users (or Self), and Administrators (it is fine if there are others). If any are missing, then click Add > Advanced > Find Now > [Name]> OK > OK. System and All Applications Packages should have the Local box checked (OK if the latter has both checked) while Administrator and Users (or Self) should have both checked. When done click OK to get back the Properties window.
    9. Under Configuration Permissions, make sure Customize is checked and click the Edit button then click Advanced. You should have the following principals listed: All Applications Packages, System, Administrators, and Users (it is fine if there are others). If any are missing, then click Add > Advanced > Find Now > [Name] > OK. All of them should have Read Access while Administrators, System, and Trusted Installer (if present) will also have Full (ignore Special Permissions for all of them).  If you need to make any changes, highlight the one to change then click Edit, make any changes, and then click OK. Then click OK until all the Properties windows are closed. Now click OK to close up the Component Services window.
    10. If you did not have to change any registry permissions (Steps 1-4) then go to Step 11, otherwise go back to the Registry Editor and the key you changed. In the top menu under View, click Refresh. Go back to the same key you changed and again right click on it and choose Permissions. If you saved the registry key, you can just import it otherwise change the privileges back manually and then ownership back to what they initially were. If ownership was Trusted Installer, type (not paste) “NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller” for a name (it is not listed in the name finder) or just use System instead. You should use the  Advanced > Find Now > SYSTEM > OK > OK > check the box method rather than typing in the name. When done click OK until Permissions window is closed (if any messages come up just click OK or Yes until Permissions window is closed).
    11. Close the Registry Editor and reboot. That should do it.
    • Proposed as answer by JSiepmann Sunday, November 13, 2016 7:04 PM
    • Edited by JSiepmann Wednesday, December 7, 2016 5:08 AM
    Friday, March 25, 2016 10:18 PM
  • Hopefully MS will address this error and patch/fixit down the road. I copied>pasted the above in a notepad to use later. 

Seems like an awful lot of work and key strokes for something that should be addressed anyway.

Saturday, March 26, 2016 4:02 PM
  • So for the people who do not know how to do the second part i have included some instructions and a picture.

1. Search in cortana for local policy

2. Expand the local policy

3. Open the Users Rights folder.

4. All the listed items are in here.

I hope this helps 

Alun E. Weaving Baluci

M.Sc. (Comp. Sci.), MCP, MCSA, MCSE: Security, MCT, CCNA, C|EH,  Cert.OA. , MLJ 
    Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (Security), Microsoft Certified Trainer, 
    Cisco Certified Network Associate, Networks and Cyber- Security Consultant , 
    Certified Ethical Hacker, Certified Occupational Assessor, 

Digital Forensic Investigator, Senior Lecturer 1 (MCAST)

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:53 PM
  • So for the people who do not know how to do the second part i have included some instructions and a picture.

I hope this helps 

Alun E. Weaving Baluci

Not allowed pictures at the moment :(
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:54 PM

I hope this helps 

Alun E. Weaving Baluci

Not allowed pictures at the moment :(

If you post a link to the picture, then I can reply with the pic and embedded link.

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCSE 2012, MCITP EA & MCTS Windows 2008/R2, Exchange 2013, 2010 EA & 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 7:54 PM
  • I followed your instructions.  This didn't work, I still get error messages.  It appeared that I was allowed to make all the changes, yet the error messages pursist on boot-up.  Two questions;

At the end of all this one changes the ownership back to; SYSTEM, rather than Trustedinstaller?  And, does one do nothing with the CLSID entry on regedit as you've suggested, or does that have to be changed in the same way as APPID?  Several other help pages with less detailed intructions than you have provided have suggested that changing ownership of both CLSID and APPID are necessary.

My problem is with the Shellservicehost.

Friday, September 30, 2016 4:19 PM
  • Thank you for your solution. After I searched for a fix I found your and it worked. Now the error has gone, it appears at least at every start up. I just asking how can you find this fix. I know it's kind a professional secret but I was wondering which kind of knowledge, experience someone should have to be able to do that.

Regards.

• Proposed as answer by Enrico Be Tuesday, December 6, 2016 10:40 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2016 7:43 PM
  • Thank you for your solution. After I searched for a fix I found your and it worked. Now the error has gone, it appears at least at every start up. I just asking how can you find this fix. I know it's kind a professional secret but I was wondering which kind of knowledge, experience someone should have to be able to do that.

Regards.

Hello Enrico,

Which specific solution helped you?

Who is your question directed to?

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCSE 2012, MCITP EA & MCTS Windows 2008/R2, Exchange 2013, 2010 EA & 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 8:45 PM
  • The specific solution that helped me was to fix the Error Id: 10016 regarding access permissions on a DCom component.

I haven't directed the question to someone, I found a post in this blog and following the steps it solved me the problem.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 1:02 AM
  • I used to change both the AppID and the CLSID but found out that I only had to change the AppID for the ones I had to fix. If you are having problems getting access to the AppID in Component Services, then I would go back and recheck the AppID privileges and also those of the CLSID.

About Trusted Installer ownership:  If ownership was Trusted Installer, type (not paste) “NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller” for a name (it is not
    listed in the name finder) or just use System instead.
    If you saved the registry key prior to making changes though, you could import it back in and ownership would again be Trusted Installer as well as reverting the privileges back to their initial settings.

• Proposed as answer by JSiepmann Wednesday, December 7, 2016 4:22 AM
    • Edited by JSiepmann Wednesday, December 7, 2016 5:05 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 4:00 AM
  • The specific solution that helped me was to fix the Error Id: 10016 regarding access permissions on a DCom component.

I haven't directed the question to someone, I found a post in this blog and following the steps it solved me the problem.

Hi Enrico,

I was curious which post or steps you found helpful to fix it. In still not sure which one you are referring to because this is a large thread with many posts. If you can direct us to which one, or post the specific steps, it may help others that are searching and have found this thread.

Thank you!

Ace Fekay

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 5:28 AM
  • I'm sorry but I thought that replying at one post would lead me to the right blog and give a reply to the right contributor at his/her post. I'm start to think that there's something that I don't know about the blog and how I have to use it.

But anyway the post is the following: Event ID 10016 - DCOM Error | Source - Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM | Level: Error and I followed the steps described from JSiepmann.

Regards.

• Edited by Enrico Be Wednesday, December 7, 2016 7:12 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Ace Fekay [MCT] Wednesday, December 7, 2016 9:31 PM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 6:31 AM
  • I'm sorry but I thought that replying at one post would lead me to the right blog and give a reply to the right contributor at his/her post. I'm start to think that there's something that I don't know about the blog and how I have to use it.

But anyway the post is the following: Event ID 10016 - DCOM Error | Source - Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM | Level: Error and I followed the steps described from JSiepmann.

Regards.

Hi Enrico,

Thanks for the clarification and quoting the solution that helped you. I hope it helps others that find this thread.

Kind regards,

Ace Fekay

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 9:32 PM