Microsoft Notepad instead of Word document for saving an astronomical, yet important amount of text! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone, so I am doing a research project and would like to store important files gathered online and from messages in text form and I just have several questions. I am not concerned about editing pasted text so I wanted to choose notepad. My questions are:

1. Is Microsoft Notepad ideal for pasting copied text into and preserving text data and can I do this with lets say thousands of pages of copied text? 

2. Will Microsoft notepad keep all my text files safe and not reformat itself and start deleting things as I keep pasting and adding new content into a notepad document?? 

3. How much data or text can I have in Microsoft notepad? 

4. Also, does highlighting non text items such as boxes, pictures, etc and colored texts and also images gathered from websites, and then copying and pasting them into notepad cause some texts in notepad to get deleted or distorted?

Many thanks, everyone!

• Edited by Changingmagazine Wednesday, October 25, 2017 1:24 AM I forgot to add the last question.
    Wednesday, October 25, 2017 1:09 AM

Answers

• This really isn't a Word question. That said:

Notepad will be unsuitable if you need to keep any kind of formatting, including tables, pictures, hyperlinks, etc.; all it stores is plain text. If you need anything more than that, use Word or WordPad.

Notepad does no text formatting (you can turn line-wrap on/off and change the viewing font, but neither of those affects the file itself). Whether anything gets deleted or pasted out of order depends on what you have selected when you paste - just as it would in Word.

AFAIK MS hasn't published any specs for NotePad, but it can open files at least as large as 200Mb - that's > 50,000 pages...

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 2:24 AM
  • Hi,

1. Is Microsoft Notepad ideal for pasting copied text into and preserving text data and can I do this with lets say thousands of pages of copied text? 

If you need only plain text (without text-formatting, without pictures, etc), Notepad will satisfy your needs.

2. Will Microsoft notepad keep all my text files safe and not reformat itself and start deleting things as I keep pasting and adding new content into a notepad document?? 

Yes. (Notepad cannot format text. You can only change Font in Notepad.)

3. How much data or text can I have in Microsoft notepad? 

This is answered by macropod.

4. Also, does highlighting non text items such as boxes, pictures, etc and colored texts and also images gathered from websites, and then copying and pasting them into notepad cause some texts in notepad to get deleted or distorted?

No. As I mentioned above, Notepad can NOT include non text items such as boxes, pictures, colored text. It can include only text. 

---
    Why do you use Word, instead of Notepad?

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 2:47 AM

All replies

• This really isn't a Word question. That said:

Notepad will be unsuitable if you need to keep any kind of formatting, including tables, pictures, hyperlinks, etc.; all it stores is plain text. If you need anything more than that, use Word or WordPad.

Notepad does no text formatting (you can turn line-wrap on/off and change the viewing font, but neither of those affects the file itself). Whether anything gets deleted or pasted out of order depends on what you have selected when you paste - just as it would in Word.

AFAIK MS hasn't published any specs for NotePad, but it can open files at least as large as 200Mb - that's > 50,000 pages...

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 2:24 AM
  • Hi,

1. Is Microsoft Notepad ideal for pasting copied text into and preserving text data and can I do this with lets say thousands of pages of copied text? 

If you need only plain text (without text-formatting, without pictures, etc), Notepad will satisfy your needs.

2. Will Microsoft notepad keep all my text files safe and not reformat itself and start deleting things as I keep pasting and adding new content into a notepad document?? 

Yes. (Notepad cannot format text. You can only change Font in Notepad.)

3. How much data or text can I have in Microsoft notepad? 

This is answered by macropod.

No. As I mentioned above, Notepad can NOT include non text items such as boxes, pictures, colored text. It can include only text. 

---
    Why do you use Word, instead of Notepad?

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 2:47 AM
  • Thank you for the help! thorough answers!
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:43 AM
  • Thank you for the help as well! :)
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:44 AM