none
Lync server 2010 edge server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have a Lync server 2010 environment.  We would like to go to Office 365 Skype using hybrid model.

Can we use Skype for business 2015 as our edge server?  IF SO; Is there a guide out there for that?

Unfortunately I can't find anything out there that says Skype for business server 2015 can be used as a hybrid server for a lync server 2010 environment wanting to go to Office 365 skype.

Thanks

• Edited by Kman2k Wednesday, February 14, 2018 1:36 PM
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 8:29 PM

All replies

• You can go right from Lync 2010 as long as you're using Lync 2013 or Skype for Business Admin tools.  There's a guide here if needed: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj205237(v=ocs.15).aspx

Lync 2010 will need the most recent cumulative update to support shared sip address space, but you'll need the 2013\2015 admin tools to enable it.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:47 PM
  • Understood

But can we use Skype for business 2015 as our edge server?  IF so; Is there a guide out there for that?

Please remember that our on-premises environment is Lync server 2010.

• Edited by Kman2k Wednesday, February 14, 2018 1:36 PM
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:15 AM
  • It’s not like exchange, you don’t need a hybrid server. You can use your existing 2010 edge

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:34 AM
  • I apologize.

I meant "edge server" and not hybrid.  Corrected question below. -->

Can we use Skype for business 2015 as our edge server?  IF so; Is there a guide out there for that?

Please remember that our on-premises environment is Lync server 2010.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 1:38 PM
  • You can but you don’t need to, Lync 2010 is fine. If you’re going to upgrade the edge, you should just upgrade everything Lync to Skype to be consistent. The TechNet guide for Lync 2010 to 2013 also applies for 2010 to Skype 2015.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 1:59 PM
  • Hi Kman2k,

Based on your description, I understand that you want office 365 hybrid with Lync server 2010, right?

For Lync server 2010 environment, you want to use SFB 2015 for edge server?

Did you have an edge server for currently Lync 2010?

Like Anthony, if you have an edge server 2010 for your currently environment, you don't have to crate a new SFB 2015 for edge, Lync 2010 is OK.

But if you really want to use SFB 2015, it is ok, no problem.

Please refer to the following document about deploying SFB edge server
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn933903.aspx

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 26, 2018 6:46 AM
  • Hi

But is there an advantage to using Skype for business VERSUS Lync 2010 as edge server?

Thanks

Monday, February 26, 2018 7:02 PM
  • Hi kman2k,

Normally, for Lync server 2010, we suggest you use Lync 2010 for edge.

For Skype for business 2015, we suggest you use Skype for business for edge.

Because the same version won't have compatible issue.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, March 1, 2018 2:43 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update about this issue?

If the reply is helpful to you, please mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Friday, March 2, 2018 10:01 AM