none
Deleting WMP Database

Question

• The database on my wife's machine is playing up.  Double & sometimes triple entries.  Under XP this was easy to rectify by deleting database & rebuild.

Have tried the same thing in Win 7 but it still goes into the orginal database, which is what I can't understand...

Went to Users/Appdata/Local/MS/Media Player & deleted the current database & all cahe files.  Is the database registered elsewhere as well?

Would like to get WMP back to showing no files until I add the folders to monitor.  No network drives mapped as all music is held on a seperate drive on the system.
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 10:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Sirius B,

If the issue persists after trying Tim's suggestion, please check if rebuildding the Windows Media Player database can resolve this issue:

1.           Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.           Select all the files in the folder, and then click Delete.

Note: You do not have to delete the folders that are in this folder.

3.           Restart Windows Media Player.

Note: Windows Media Player automatically rebuilds the database.

If this does not resolve the problem, clear the Windows Media Player database cache files. To do this, follow these steps:

1.          Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.          Select the Media Player folder, and then click Delete.

3.          Restart Windows Media Player.

For more information, please refer to the following articles:

Create or change a regular playlist in Windows Media Player

Open the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, March 12, 2010 1:39 AM
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 6:53 AM

All replies

• Have you tried resetting the library through Tools - Advanced - Restore media library ?
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 3:39 PM
  • Hi Sirius B,

If the issue persists after trying Tim's suggestion, please check if rebuildding the Windows Media Player database can resolve this issue:

1.           Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.           Select all the files in the folder, and then click Delete.

Note: You do not have to delete the folders that are in this folder.

3.           Restart Windows Media Player.

If this does not resolve the problem, clear the Windows Media Player database cache files. To do this, follow these steps:

1.          Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.          Select the Media Player folder, and then click Delete.

3.          Restart Windows Media Player.

For more information, please refer to the following articles:

Create or change a regular playlist in Windows Media Player

Open the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, March 12, 2010 1:39 AM
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 6:53 AM
  • Linda: Note that your first suggestion of just deleting the files directly ignores the hidden cache files.  If those are bogus, the library will immediately recorrupt.  I would probably not recommend that suggestion ever as of Windows Media Player 11 or newer.  =)
    Friday, March 05, 2010 12:07 AM
  • Hi guys.  sorry about the late reply, it's been hectic here.

@Tim, yes I tried that numerous times & each time it seemed to make matters worse.

Tried Linda's tip & it seems to have worked ok.  Deleted all folders did the trick.

Using previous versions of WMP with double CD's & multiple disk sets, I used the editor to change track numbers, i.e., 3 disks with 10 tracks all numbered 1 to 10, I'd change 2nd & 3rd disks so that I'd get 1 - 30 tracks.

With WMP 12, this doesn't work, so label disks 1,2, 3 etc, unless WMP detects the disk name itself.  Unfortunately, there are times when this seems to work ok, but on accessing album to play, it shows multiple tracks with same track numbers rather than seperate disks & only one album (instead of album name, disk 1, 2 etc).

Saying that though, Linda's tip is great, if it happens again, I'll just rebuild the database.  Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010 10:58 AM
  • You've probably already done this, but in Windows 7 WMP and MCE get their library from the default libraries for Video (Movies), Pictures and Music. If you rt-clk on the library and open properties you can select the folders and remove them from the library.  Once all is clean, add the correct folders back.
    • Proposed as answer by k3v1nb1 Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:16 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Thanks for the steps above.

Any suggestions if you perform the steps above and the library doesn't rebuild?  The Media file folders are correctly set in the Library's Folder locations (File\Manage Libraries), but the files are not repopulating.

The odd thing is that the Playlists are repopulating, but nothing else.  I left it for 48 hours just in case, but it's still not working.

Any ideas would help.  This is the only discussion thread I've been able to find which goes beyond the simple DB file deletion.

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:15 PM
  • I have the exact same problem as soliic.  Nothing I do will make it rebuild the library.

Steve

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:53 PM
  • Steve: in WMP, please click Organize - Manage libraries - Music. Is your music folder listed there? If not, try adding it to the list manually. Does that help?

Tim De Baets

Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:47 PM
  • Thanks Tim, but I've removed and re-added it from there many times, with no effect.

Steve

Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:57 PM
  • I suggest that you try resetting the media library once more by following these steps:

- Reboot the PC.
    - Go to Start, type services.msc in the Search field, and press Enter. In Services, find the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. If its status is Started, double-click the service and click Stop.
    - Go to Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft in the Search field, and press Enter. This folder will open up in Windows Explorer.
    - In this folder, delete the Media Player folder. If you can't see the folder, then it's probably hidden. Set Explorer to show hidden files and folders, and to show protected system files.
    - Start WMP, your library will have been reset and will be rebuilt.

Does that help?

Tim De Baets

Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:20 PM
  • I had already done those things as well, with no success. 

However, my last-ditch effort seems to have worked.  What I did was completely remove media player from my windows installation, then delete a few registry entries that seemed to be related to where my library was, then reinstalled it.  At that point it still wouldn't bring back my music even with re-adding the folder to the library.  So, whether that part had any effect on what I did next I do not know, so I would suggest trying the following before doing it, if anyone else is having this problem.

What I did then, completely on a whim, was drag and drop my Music folder from a windows explorer window right into the middle of the media player screen where it said 'There are no items in your Music library', and this finally worked and it slowly but surely brought everything back.  I had no idea it was even possible to drag and drop anything into media player, but apparently it is.  Wish I'd tried this weeks ago...

Steve

• Proposed as answer by Steve Boer Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:41 PM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:40 PM
  • finally - nice one
    I can start again
    Sunday, January 05, 2014 2:47 PM
  • I have tried every thing on this page. nothing has worked.

running windows 7 - WMP 12 sharing to PS3

everything is up to date.

I did see somewhere that WMP 11 had a size limit on it's database of 1gig so I'll assume that WMP 12 has the same limit. UNTIL I realized that can't be my issue. 

I have a media server that is my primary source for movies and music that I play over the PS3. I figured this was an issue that wouldn't be able to be resolved until I tried to play a movie from my laptop. 

I rotate about 10 - 15 movies on there while I'm out on the road. I connected the PS3 to my laptop and went to watch a movie and it wasn't on the play list. I checked from within WMP and it doesn't list the movie as well. It will open and play it, but not put it on the list. So....I cleared the database on the laptop and let it rebuild, and the movie is still not on there. the current database is only 5332KB   so way below that possible 1 gig limit. 

I have found a different way to stream my movies to the PS3 but I'd rather use WMP and not have a lot of programs on my PC or laptop. 

any Suggestions?

Friday, December 30, 2016 7:41 AM
  • No I'm me that's him: where exactly is the movie file located on the hard drive, and what's its file type (AVI, WMV, MP4, ...)?

In WMP's library, please click Organize, and select Manage libraries - Videos. Is the movie file located in one of the locations listed there?

Tim De Baets

Friday, December 30, 2016 8:53 PM
  • Open WMP

Click on Organise | Options | Privacy | Clear History & Clear Cache.  You can also choose what to store and display.

Job Done.

Monday, February 13, 2017 2:32 PM