none
password protected files and metadata

Question

• Is there a way around the problem of edited password protected files not retaining their metadata tags?  Password to modify is not an option and going back to edit the metadata after every save is pain in the butt.

TIA

Friday, February 17, 2012 5:46 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Office Client by default clears their file system properties when they are encrypted. SharePoint uses Office file's file system properties when it promotes their properties into a SharePoint library. SharePoint it respecting the encrypted settings of the Office documents when it clears off out the document title.

The follow article explains how you can alter the office encryption settings http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178978.aspx. You can disable “Protect document metadata for password protected files”. These settings can also be set by a group policy or by using Office Customization Tool on each machine. Once the file properties are maintained SharePoint will also keep the properties.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:11 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Office Client by default clears their file system properties when they are encrypted. SharePoint uses Office file's file system properties when it promotes their properties into a SharePoint library. SharePoint it respecting the encrypted settings of the Office documents when it clears off out the document title.

The follow article explains how you can alter the office encryption settings http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178978.aspx. You can disable “Protect document metadata for password protected files”. These settings can also be set by a group policy or by using Office Customization Tool on each machine. Once the file properties are maintained SharePoint will also keep the properties.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Thank you very much for the reply.  The link is about Office 2007, we're using Office 2010.  Is the functionality the same?

TIA

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:11 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, it also applies to Office 2010.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:22 AM
  • Yes the GPO is working but only on newly created documents. Older documents I'm finding I need to run the Document Inspector on to to remove everything before they will retain the metadata. I'm not 100% sure but these older docs could have been 2007 docs updated to 2010 docs and housed on a SharePoint WSS 3.0 migrated over to SharePoint 2010.
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Hi Sally,

We don't seem to be able to get this to work for Office 2010.

Any ideas?

Thursday, July 18, 2013 6:54 PM
  • We did not find that this configuration works for 2010.  I was able to get a new document to retain it's metadata - it appears to be affecting documents from 2007 that were converted to 2010.

Has anyone found a workaround yet for this issue?

Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:20 PM