none
Question for behaviors between full crawl and incremental crawls RRS feed

• Question

• We have around 300k item to crawls. There are 260k item got error after run the Full Crawls. Then I run the Incremental Crawls every 30 min. Finally the error item decrease to 76.

I have 2 question for this:
    Is it is the crawling normal behaviors?
    If not, Can I roll back to view the full crawls crawl log?

Thanks

Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:34 AM

Answers

• Hi, Kit2607,

As KumarMohiT note, a full crawl crawls all items in your content source. Incremental crawl only crawls the items which have been newly created or modified since the last crawl. The number of full crawl items is bigger than the number of incremental crawl items. That's why your error count in incremental crawl is reduced to 76, which is smaller than in full crawl.

For your crawl error, you could try to change the default access content account to your admin account like domain\spfarm. If it not works, try to create a new search service application .

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by Kit2607 Monday, September 23, 2019 6:14 AM
    Friday, September 20, 2019 8:12 AM
  • Yes Kit2607. So if you have started the full crawl on your content source and in between that some one adds a new item then that item won't appear on the search until you start the full crawl again. Here is a link for your reference -

https://searchexplained.com/full-incremental-continuous-crawl-types-in-sharepoint/

Now as per michael comments please try update the default content access account. Here is link for your reference - 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/search/change-the-default-account-for-crawling

If the error still persist, I will suggest you to check crawl rules and update the password inside your crawl rules.

K Mohit

Friday, September 20, 2019 10:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Kit,

Incremental crawl enables the Crawler to crawl only the items which have been newly created or modified since the last crawl. May be that's why your error count is reduced to 76 because your incremental crawl is trying to crawl those updated or modified 76 items and giving you error.

I will suggest you take a look at the crawl logs and share the error.

K Mohit

Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:50 AM
  • Hi KumarMohiT,

Thank you for your response. You mean the full crawl will not crawl the items which have been newly created or modified, so that's why I got 300k  error after full crawl but reduced to 76 after incremental crawl?

Here is the crawl log of the 76 error.

Thanks

Friday, September 20, 2019 1:51 AM
  • Hi, Kit2607,

As KumarMohiT note, a full crawl crawls all items in your content source. Incremental crawl only crawls the items which have been newly created or modified since the last crawl. The number of full crawl items is bigger than the number of incremental crawl items. That's why your error count in incremental crawl is reduced to 76, which is smaller than in full crawl.

For your crawl error, you could try to change the default access content account to your admin account like domain\spfarm. If it not works, try to create a new search service application .

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, September 20, 2019 8:12 AM
  • Yes Kit2607. So if you have started the full crawl on your content source and in between that some one adds a new item then that item won't appear on the search until you start the full crawl again. Here is a link for your reference -

https://searchexplained.com/full-incremental-continuous-crawl-types-in-sharepoint/

Now as per michael comments please try update the default content access account. Here is link for your reference - 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/search/change-the-default-account-for-crawling

If the error still persist, I will suggest you to check crawl rules and update the password inside your crawl rules.

K Mohit

Friday, September 20, 2019 10:31 AM