none
Unable to find cause of access denied issue for single user

    Question

  • I am working with client who has a MOSS 2007 install. Everything has been working well for some time. However, there is one particular user who keeps getting access denied when viewing the history or incoming links pages for a wiki page.

    Here is some permissions structure (which is normal for other users in a similar role):

    • Site Permissions - Limited Access
    • List Permissions - Limited Access
    • Item Permissions - Design

    All users in the clients domain are members of a domain group which has the following permissions

    • Site Permissions - Limited Access
    • List Permissions - Contribute
    • Item Permissions - Read
    Thanks in advance for any help with troubleshooting this issue.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:39 PM

Answers

  • I wasnt able to try the delete user approach. The client was happy with the contribute band aid at the site level and is continuing with their work. The decided to live with the band aid rather than disrupt the users work some more.

    I had tried "read" access and that didn't seem to work.

    Thanks to eveyone for the suggestions.


    Alonso Robles http://alonsorobles.com
    Friday, July 16, 2010 3:35 PM

All replies

  • Have you enabled access requests for the site? (site settings > advanced permissions > access requests)

    Once you have done this, ask the user to click on the "click here to request access" link - that will fire off an email to the address you specified in the access request settings.

    The email will include a link which allows you to grant access to whichever object the user is denied access to. 

    Give it a go - hope it helps!


    Benjamin Athawes
    Twitter
    SharePoint Blog

    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Ben,

     

    Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried that. Got the access request email and used the link and granted the user Full Control to the library in question and I still see the same behavior.

     

    Any other ideas?

    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Try to give Full Control permission of wiki page to this user and test it. If user still find any issue then delete the user from site and add again.


    Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:35 AM
    Moderator
  • Try to give Full Control permission of wiki page to this user and test it. If user still find any issue then delete the user from site and add again.

    That would be my next suggestion.

    You will need to remove the user from the site collection from the top level site settings in order for this to work.

    In our case as a last resort we try:

    • Remove user from site collection
    • Delete and recreate the account in AD
    • Grant permission to the site again
    That normally fixes it but can be quite a hassle.


    Benjamin Athawes
    Twitter
    SharePoint Blog

    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:48 AM
  • >That would be my next suggestion.

     

    As that was just a "try this" post, I'm waiting to see if the OP says that solved *his* problem before marking it as an answer.

     

    (Moderator)


    2010 Books: SPF 2010; SPS 2010; SPD 2010; InfoPath 2010; Workflow etc.
    2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:54 AM
  • Tried the full control on the wiki page and it did not solve the problem. It appears that the problem for this user is with application pages (_layouts directory) in this site for the user.

    I did get a bandaid for the user to work by granting him contributor rights to the site. However, this is too much access for the user.

    I will try to delete and re-add the user to the site today and let you know how it goes.


    Alonso Robles http://alonsorobles.com
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:01 PM
  • Unfortunately, I don't have access to Active Directory to delete and recreate the user. I will need to route this type of request to the client's IT department. I will give this a shot if just deleting and re-adding the user to the site does not work.
    Alonso Robles http://alonsorobles.com
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:02 PM
  • As that was just a "try this" post, I'm waiting to see if the OP says that solved *his* problem before marking it as an answer.

    Good call - I didn't actually mean to mark it as an answer (was having browser issues at the time). For future reference, is there a way to undo?

    Benjamin Athawes
    Twitter
    SharePoint Blog

    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:20 PM
  • I did get a bandaid for the user to work by granting him contributor rights to the site. However, this is too much access for the user.

    *just in case* you haven't tried it already - have you tried giving him "Read" access instead of "Limited Access" or contribute?

    Benjamin Athawes
    Twitter
    SharePoint Blog

    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:24 PM
  • No there isn't a way to undo a propose as answer.

    For you....

     <evil grin> of course some of us are all-powerful </evil grin>


    2010 Books: SPF 2010; SPS 2010; SPD 2010; InfoPath 2010; Workflow etc.
    2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:25 PM
  • I wasnt able to try the delete user approach. The client was happy with the contribute band aid at the site level and is continuing with their work. The decided to live with the band aid rather than disrupt the users work some more.

    I had tried "read" access and that didn't seem to work.

    Thanks to eveyone for the suggestions.


    Alonso Robles http://alonsorobles.com
    Friday, July 16, 2010 3:35 PM