none
How to Change Retention Policies RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have been testing Exchange 2016 Retention Policies with Exchange Online Archive.  I created a test retention policy along with a small number of test retention tags.  Everything was great.

I created a new retention policy based on our company's newly implemented email policy and changed the policy assigned to my account so I could test the new policy.

The problem is for some reason Exchange now believes I don't have a retention policy assigned.  I don't see anything in Outlook or Outlook on the Web anymore.  I have run the managed folder assistant manually on my mailbox multiple times and at one point tried turning off retention and then assigning the new policy.  I have no idea why my account no longer believes it has a retention policy assigned to it.

Is there a trick when changing the retention policy assigned to an account?  How do I got about finding where this is stuck?

The only thing I haven't tried is disabling my archive all together and then turning it back on.  I don't think I should have to do this...but I can if that is the answer.

Here is a summary of what I did.

Assigned retention policy test_1 to my mailbox along with enabling archive - Worked Great

Created retention policy production_1 and assigned it to my mailbox, ran the managed folder assistant, didn't see the new policy at all (still saw the old test_1 policy actually)

Set the retention policy to none on my mailbox and ran managed folder assistant, that worked.

Assigned policy production_1 to my mailbox and ran managed folder assistant...nothing.

I welcome any suggestions!!!

Thursday, October 6, 2016 11:36 AM

Answers

• Just wanted to let everyone know I solved this.

Turns out I created the retention policy in the EAC on 2016 and applied it to my account on 2010.  That apparently doesn't work.

I removed the policy and re-created it using the 2010 Management tools and all is well.

• Marked as answer by kfrankovich Tuesday, October 25, 2016 7:51 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 7:51 PM