none
My Sony vaio windows 7 laptop fingerprint reader does not work.

Question

• Model no: VGN-SR56GG.

When i check in device manager it shows device is working properly. But i can not scan my finger using protector suite 2009 and it gives error cannot find fingerprint sensor. I don't know which brand the sensor is, sometimes it show UPEK, AuthenTec, TouchStrip (i have deleted and installed the drivers lot of times and it show different name in device manager).

Hardware id is: USB\VID_147E&PID_1000&REV_0033

USB\VID_147E&PID_1000.

I have windows 7 professional service pack 1.

Can you help me out. I really need fingerprint reader.

Sunday, September 8, 2013 10:04 AM

Answers

• Hi varunja,

Based on my understanding, your Sony laptop’s fingerprint reader doesn’t work, and you have tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver, but no avail. Right?

Please also try the following methods to solve this issue:

Method 1: Run hardware troubleshooter

1. Press Windows + W in the keyboard.
    2. Type Troubleshooting in the search box and press Enter.
    3. Click Hardware and Sound.
    4. Click Hardware and Devices, and then click Next in the wizard.

Method 2: Re-install the TrueSuite Software from the VAIO Care Software.

Please refer to the article TrueSuite for Windows 7 to get more help:

http://support.authentec.com/Downloads/Windows/TrueSuite.aspx

Method 3: Use system restore to undo recent system changes.

System Restore can return your PC's system files and programs to a time when everything was working fine, potentially preventing hours of troubleshooting headaches. It won't affect your documents, pictures, or other data. As for how to use System Restore, please review this article System Restore:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

For your information, you can also connect http://www.sony.co.in/section/support to get more help from Dell.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Monday, September 9, 2013 3:56 AM
  • If you think a Windows update caused the problem you will have to uninstall the latest updates one at a time until you identify the offending update.

It is absolutely impossible to tell via an internet forum whether a Windows update caused your problem or not, and if so, which update is responsible.

If uninstalling the latest updates does not restore the functionality of your fingerprint reader, then you will have to have diagnostics run on the computer to determine if the fingerprint reader is defective or not.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:49 PM

All replies

• There is nothing you can do in Windows to compensate for a hardware failure.  You need to either take you computer to a repair shop for diagnostics or take it to Sony to get it repaired.  The fingerprint software and drivers are not part of Windows and are supplied by Sony.  Sony is solely responsible for the support of their hardware.  Go to http://www.sony-asia.com/support/product/vgn-sr56gg for Sony support.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, September 8, 2013 11:10 AM
  • Hi varunja,

Based on my understanding, your Sony laptop’s fingerprint reader doesn’t work, and you have tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver, but no avail. Right?

Please also try the following methods to solve this issue:

Method 1: Run hardware troubleshooter

1. Press Windows + W in the keyboard.
    2. Type Troubleshooting in the search box and press Enter.
    3. Click Hardware and Sound.
    4. Click Hardware and Devices, and then click Next in the wizard.

Method 2: Re-install the TrueSuite Software from the VAIO Care Software.

Please refer to the article TrueSuite for Windows 7 to get more help:

http://support.authentec.com/Downloads/Windows/TrueSuite.aspx

Method 3: Use system restore to undo recent system changes.

System Restore can return your PC's system files and programs to a time when everything was working fine, potentially preventing hours of troubleshooting headaches. It won't affect your documents, pictures, or other data. As for how to use System Restore, please review this article System Restore:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

For your information, you can also connect http://www.sony.co.in/section/support to get more help from Dell.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Regards,

Lany Zhang

Monday, September 9, 2013 3:56 AM
  • It did work in between for two days after windows update. I doubt there is hardware fault. 
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:46 PM
  • If you think a Windows update caused the problem you will have to uninstall the latest updates one at a time until you identify the offending update.

It is absolutely impossible to tell via an internet forum whether a Windows update caused your problem or not, and if so, which update is responsible.

If uninstalling the latest updates does not restore the functionality of your fingerprint reader, then you will have to have diagnostics run on the computer to determine if the fingerprint reader is defective or not.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Hello,

I just tried following the support.authentec.com link, and found that that site no longer exsists. Is there any other way to get TrueSuite for Windows 7?

Thanks

Friday, June 27, 2014 1:24 AM
  • Hello,

I just tried following the support.authentec.com link, and found that that site no longer exsists. Is there any other way to get TrueSuite for Windows 7?

Thanks

DogIsGod

You will have to contact Sony about your problem.  TrueSuite is not a Microsoft product, is not supplied by Microsoft, and Microsoft does not provide support for any third party products.

Friday, June 27, 2014 3:49 PM