none
Monthly Updates for Office 365 (2016) using Click-to-Run

Question

• I haven't found much info about how to handle the monthly updates for the 2016 version of Office 365. In the past we had auto updates turned off, and used this command line to update or roll back version of 2013 O365:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\ClientX86\OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user forceappshutdown=TRUE displaylevel=TRUE updatetoversion=15.0.4787.1002

It worked great and was easy enough to manage.  With the 2016 version I found the OfficeC2RClient.exe has moved to C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun which is fine.  But I'm not able to find any combination of switches to run with it to allow Office 365 to update.  Has this whole process change or am I missing something?  Any help or info would be appreciated and thanks in advance!

• Edited by DeepCover1 Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:28 PM
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

So far I haven't found the statement about the change, I'm not sure.

As for the topic to control the Office update, you can consider either of the two methods:

• Office Deployment Tool
    • Group Policy

Both can help you specify the version of Office 365 ProPlus to update to.

You can refer to Configure update settings for Office 365 ProPlus and learn from this article.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 2:16 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. We've looked into these options before.  We really like the current process we have for updating O365. I still have not found any information related to the O365 2016 C2R options. It looks like the older options should work, but we aren't able to get any installs to update.  I'm hoping I can find an answer before needing to open a case with MS to get an answer.
    Monday, February 01, 2016 7:10 PM
  • Still haven't found anything. I have a ticket open with MS but haven't heard back yet. In the mean time I rand across this:

https://www.systemcenterdudes.com/sccm-1511-new-features/

Natively manage Office 365 desktop client update

Ability to manage Office 365 desktop client updates using the Configuration Manager Software Update Management workflow. When Microsoft publishes a new Office 365 desktop client update to Windows Server Updates Services (WSUS), Configuration Manager will be able to synchronize the update to its catalog if the Office 365 update is configured to be part of the catalog synchronization. The Configuration Manager site server will download the Office 365 client updates and distribute the package to Configuration Manager distribution points. The Configuration Manager client will then inform Office 365 desktop clients where to get the updates and when to start the update installation process.

Prerequisites for this scenario:

• Windows 7 Service Pack 1
    • Office 365 ProPlus (Build 16.0.6228.1000)

At the time of writing these lines, there’s no O365 available in WSUS

Thursday, February 11, 2016 2:05 PM
  • DeepCover1: I'm also looking into how to deploy office365-2016 desktop to our users.
    It seems, though, as the switches for OfficeC2RClient.exe works as expected here.
    Using the webpage listing version history (url: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt592918.aspx) as source for what versions we can deploy, I tried the following command:

OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatepromptuser=False forceappshutdown=True displaylevel=True UpdateToVersion=16.0.6001.1054

This started the downgrade of the client, as expected.
    I expect that if you want to downgrade from Version 16 to Version 15 you need to do an uninstall/install.

FYI.

Sunday, February 28, 2016 3:28 PM
  • Thanks again for the reply.  I have found out these commands do work.  The problem we were running into is the update channel our office installs were subscribed too.  We currently had not set a “Channel/Branch” in our config.xml when we downloaded O365 2016 so we were put on the “Deferred” channel.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt592918.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If you are on the Deferred channel you cannot update to “First Release for Deferred”, “Current”, or “Insiders” channel.  You can tell what channel you are subscribed to be going to the reg key below:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration\ CDNBaseURL

http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/64256afe-f5d9-4f86-8936-8840a6a4f5be -  Insiders

http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/492350f6-3a01-4f97-b9c0-c7c6ddf67d60  -  Current

http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/b8f9b850-328d-4355-9145-c59439a0c4cf  -  First Release for Deferred

http://officecdn.microsoft.com/pr/7ffbc6bf-bc32-4f92-8982-f9dd17fd3114  - Deferred

We are able to update with-in the channel we are in.  So we are still looking at what options we have to move channels.  Lucky we don’t have many installs for O365 2016 yet, so there wont be much cleanup.  I hope this info helps someone else!

• Edited by DeepCover1 Tuesday, March 01, 2016 7:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by DeepCover1 Tuesday, March 01, 2016 7:42 PM
    Tuesday, March 01, 2016 7:40 PM
  • https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt455210.aspx

This documentation states that you can use ODT to switch channels (presumably that means a reinstall using a customised configuration.xml where you stipulate the channel), or, you can use GPO (although I don't know that GPO/registry would cause an existing installation to actually switch channels?)(maybe it would witch channels at the next periodic update?)

I'd be guessing that a reinstall via ODT+xml_option would be the suggested method by MSFT. Which is a little bit tedious but maybe not such a bad idea...

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 8:20 PM
  • Thanks for the additional link. I do figure the method you described is probably the best and supported way to correct the issue.  But we did find in testing that the CDNBaseURL can be changed and updated accordingly, but I don't believe it is supported. But does seem to work.
    Tuesday, March 01, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Hey Don,

Yes, you can switch channels via the registry or via the GPO for 2016 that lets you set the update channel (direct registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\office\16.0\common\officeupdate --> updatebranch = {"Current", "Business", "Validation"}  (not sure what the value is for Insiders).

The new updates since May or so allow you to specify the channel on the officec2rclient.exe command line, by adding "channel=validation" or whatever option after the updatetoversion parameter.  This doesn't work on older releases (i.e. 1061 from February FRfDC I believe), but will on the newer ones.

Also correct, it doesn't change anything directly, only the next time automatic update executes (or you run officec2rclient as above).

Thursday, June 16, 2016 5:26 PM