none
SharePoint 2013 WSP Deployment Bin or GAC RRS feed

• Question

• As my solution has no code I set the "Include assemby In package" to false which disables "Assembly Deployment Target" so there is no way for me to target Web Application. 

Why would I want to target "Web application" when there is nothing to deploy to the bin (which is actually deoprecated, I know). My client acts on sitecolelction level, each site collection is in fact as seperate company within a holding. When I deploy setting "Include assemby In package" to false it makes my features visible to all site collections whereas scoping to site collection doesn't. Should I consider setting "Include assemby In package" to true, scoping the Web application and deploying an empty dll in a deprecated manner just to achieve my features being displayed in just my web application (as every client under the holding has its own webapplication and witnin that its own sitecollection(s))

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 10:25 AM

All replies

• What does your solution need to be scoped to? Always scope to the narrowest scope. If you can scope to Site Collections, then do so.

Trevor Seward

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:12 AM
  • Thanks for your answer Trevor.

I'm not referring to feature scopes. In the Visual Studio project properties there is a property "Include Assembly in package" when set to true (and you have to do that if your project has dll's) you can choose to deploy to GAC or to bin (web application). Deploying to bin scopes your solution!! (not feature) to the web application (because the dll is in the bin and thus cannot be used by other web applications) and bij scoping I mean visible within the targeted web application. 

This is not possible when you deploy without assembly, deploying without assembly ("Include Assembly in package" set to false) makes your solution a globally deployed solution, which makes it visible in every web application, my client doesn't want that.

summarizing, is there a way to show solution items only in a specific site collection.

• Edited by ReneKa Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:35 AM Added a "thank you"I forgot :)
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:34 AM