none
Can't change the look of a subsite? RRS feed

• Question

• A user has full control of a subsite, but when he tries to change the look of the subsite, he is told he needs access to the parent site. The permissions are split for this reason: He does not have access to the parent site. Is it possible for him to change the look of the site he's in control of at all? Why would he need access to the parent site to change the look of the subsite?

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Never noticed this before, but did confirm the behavior.  I'll poke around to see if I can get any more info.

John Ross
    SharePoint Server MVP | Sr. Consultant Rackspace: SharePoint Consulting
    Blog: http://johnrossjr.wordpress.com
    Twitter: @JohnRossJr

Professional SharePoint 2010 Branding and User Interface Design (Wrox Programmer to Programmer)

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Hi, 

I understand that you came across this problem: one user has full control of a sub site, but he cannot change the look of his site and the permission to parent site is required.

Usually when you grant full control permission to a sub site administrator, you can find he has limited access permission level in top-level site. But in some conditions, his  limited access permission level in top-level site may be removed, which can cause denial in site theme. You can go to the parent site permission settings page and choose Check Permission button. If the ressult is none, you need to take the steps below as a workaround:

Add "NT AUTHORITY\ AUTHENTICATED USERS " to a group which has 'limited access' permission level, for example 'Style Resource Reader' group.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:41 AM
  • After looking into the issue a little more, a user has to have read access to the root site in a site collection.  Or more specifically, the theme gallery in that site.  Then on the site where you'd want to change the look they'd also need designer level permissions there.

I know it isn't the perfect answer, but that should help you restrict things down a little more. 

John Ross

Professional SharePoint 2010 Branding and User Interface Design (Wrox Programmer to Programmer)

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Ugh. Trying to give only the permission to apply themes and borders also activates view and open web pages, which is completely what I don't want this user doing.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

EDIT: Alright, so making a permission level with just "apply themes and borders", "view web pages" and "open" and assigning it to that user on the parent site still does not allow him to change the look...
    • Edited by EntegyMVP Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:12 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:04 PM
  • They'd need to have read access to the Themes Library in the root site.  And separately have Designer Level permissions to the subsite where you want to change the theme.

More specifically from the root site collection go to Site Settings > Themes (under the Web Designer Galleries section). Click on the 15 folder. From here you'll need to set the permissions for your user.  I tested by only giving a user read access to this folder and they were then able to change the look on a subsite and they didn't get the error.

John Ross

• Marked as answer by EntegyMVP Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:58 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:41 PM
  • In other words, I was looking in the wrong place. This worked, thanks!
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:58 PM
  • i have had the same problem.  I have a fix that has worked most of the time. so not perfect but I thought I'd put it out there. 

When saving a site as a template i deleted all of the content and then saved the site as a template and clicked "Include Content" and it seem to save the content in the composed looks library.

Sunday, April 7, 2013 3:33 PM