none
Function Arguments box moves when you try to click OK RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a problem using any functions.  if I select a function (doesn't matter which one) and then select parameters, then go to click on OK, the box will jump to a different spot on the screen and not calculate.   I can chase the Function Arguments box around the screen clicking OK, to no avail.  I eventually can only hand type in the function equation in the formula bar.   note I also cannot click on the Cancel.   the only thing I can do is close the function argument bar in the upper right hand corner.  I have this problem on newly created spreadsheets or on spreadsheets I open from other sources.  

Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What function did you use? Did this problem appear in all functions or a specific function?

Did this problem appear in all Excel files or a specific file?

It's not very clearly about >>the only thing I can do is close the function argument bar in the upper right hand corner. << Could you provide a screenshot about your problem?

Please send the screenshot to our email address:

ibsofc@microsoft.com

Note: Please add the URL of the case in the email subject or body, please make sure that you have hidden your private information.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Friday, May 31, 2019 6:21 AM
  • Hi Emi

It does not matter which function I choose in Excel - the Function Argument box moves after I enter the string of values; so for example, if I select average from function pull down to open the Function Argument box, then select cell range and then go to click on OK, the function argument box jumps to another place on the screen.  You can continue to try and click OK, but the box will jump each time.  I then have to close the function argument box by clicking the X in the right hand corner.

Then, I end up having to type out the full function in the function bar.  

Thank you for checking

Jeff

Friday, May 31, 2019 2:35 PM
  • This sounds like a prank/malware of some sort to me. I would make sure that there are no Macros running in Excel. Maybe even start your computer in safe mode.

Note that I have never heard of this happening in Excel, but I do recall something similar on Macintoshes when I was in college(30 years ago). I have no idea how you would set up this prank, but it seems like it should be possible.

Good Luck!

Ethan

Ethan Strauss

Monday, June 3, 2019 5:37 PM